VOGONS

First post, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was trying to buy a case to build a 486 machine I assembled parts for and ended up picking up a nice little at case for 50 bucks. To my surprise it came with a fully working 386 system in it. It is a pcchips m321 motherboard with a soldered on am486 dx40, no fpu, 4mb of ram and even the 80mb hard drive is fully functional. I have been using it and kinda want to keep it together now. It still has the nicad internal battery which I will be removing right away. I just don't know how the external battery connector works. It's 4 pin and pins 2&3 are jumpered. I can't find the manual for this board but found one for a m326 pcchips board which has the same external connector and says the jumper is to enable charging and pins 1 and 2 are for power and ground of external battery which I believe this board will be the same. But I'm not sure if I should use the same voltage battery as this manual says as it says 6v external. The nicad is only 3.6 and I am not sure if there would be resistors to drop the voltage back on this motherboard. Any info on this connector and what I should do for voltage for an external pack would be appreciated.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.
Ap43 Intel i486dx4-100 also have a amd am486dx2-66v16bcg.

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see only 2 diodes off the battery area. I would use 3 x AA alkaline in EXT battery pack (for 4.8v+ when new, minus about 1.2v for the 2 diodes gives about 3.6) so is about right.
Have seen boards that require 6v external and they have more diodes than 2 off the Ext battery. Now your board may require a bit more but that is where I would start.
If when you save setting to CMOS or the time does not hold then I would consider going to 4 AA. Better to not over volt the Ext battery than over volt it on an old board.
Use a good Digi Volt meter and make sure pin 1 is + and pin 4 is ground...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's good to hear. I was thinking exactly what you wrote and was thinking this weekend trying it. Then from what I have seen just removing the pin 2&3 pin jumper that disables the charging so I shouldn't need a diode in there for the battery pack. I am thinking I can do a quick test without the battery and jumper and just test to see if pin one or 4, which ever one I confirm as positive, should not have voltage with the jumper removed and board powered on.
Guess I should find me a battery holder so I can make this happen.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want one in a hurry, you can try a dollar store, look for small LED light strings with a battery box.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well finally got the stuff together to get rid of this ticking time bomb nicad. Checked out the 4 pin connector pin 1 had 0.6 volts pin 2 was internal battery positive at 3.8 volts and pin 3 was charging power had 4.6 volts when computer on. (Took jumper off pins 2 and 3 for these tests) pin 1 battery neg. So after checking out pin 1 it went to the diodes / resistors so figured it surely was for external positive. The 0.6v would just be leakage either way no actually charging coming back through so I hooked up 3xaaa battery pack to pin 1 and 4 kept the jumper off pins 2 and 3, and tested. So far so good CMOS kept settings after 20min unplugged. Calling it a win for now.

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
curggles@gmail.com wrote on 2023-04-04, 00:52:

Well finally got the stuff together to get rid of this ticking time bomb nicad. Checked out the 4 pin connector pin 1 had 0.6 volts pin 2 was internal battery positive at 3.8 volts and pin 3 was charging power had 4.6 volts when computer on. (Took jumper off pins 2 and 3 for these tests) pin 1 battery neg. So after checking out pin 1 it went to the diodes / resistors so figured it surely was for external positive. The 0.6v would just be leakage either way no actually charging coming back through so I hooked up 3xaaa battery pack to pin 1 and 4 kept the jumper off pins 2 and 3, and tested. So far so good CMOS kept settings after 20min unplugged. Calling it a win for now.

Good job !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun