VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I have a Compaq Armada 7770DMT laptop, when I plug in the power cord, all three lights stay ON.
Pressing power button does not turn on the laptop. Tested with hard drive and without.

Does it mean the motherboard is broken?
Is there anything I should try?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Armada.jpg
    Filename
    Armada.jpg
    File size
    886.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 12, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

may have got a power-shock , try removing everything (battery , hdd , ram,power from circuit by holding power button for more than 1min ) and use a good known power adapter. If it beeps , than you may have a chance. If not you need soldering skills to fix motherboard

It can be first resistor , or mosfet or regulator or something. (I have one laptop that had a spiked power adapter on me,at-to 20v and it need-ed 9v or something and still was not able to fix her yet. 91 model.)

is this COMPAQ with integrated poweradapter? may have issue in that... (separate part attached to motherboard).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 2 of 12, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks @ediflorianUS. Yes, it has integrated power supply.
I found an YouTube video which shows the same issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zhDDt2WyA
I am going to remove the motherboard and check if any damage on it.

Reply 4 of 12, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's usually a big ~6v nimh battery pack inside the laptop for standby purposes like suspend to RAM. If that's not removed it can leak and damage traces - I recommend checking that on any of the Compaq LTE & Armada laptops up to about the Pentium II era.

Somehow I got lucky with my Armada 7350 and the battery was already gone so no corrosion. But the Armada 7400 I bought for the caddy had corrosion so bad that the system would break if the CD-ROM was hooked up at all. Mainboard replacements can be relatively cheap though since it's the accessory parts like screens, keyboards and hard drive caddies that appear to be relatively rare. That means a lot of systems get broken down for parts - I think the replacement Armada 7400 mainboard cost only something like £15

Reply 6 of 12, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the main Li-ion pack is removed / not working as well then yeah it pretty much won't keep time anymore.
It doesn't seem to complain though, just starts up with some random time.

But you could potentially put a fresh battery in there for it to run the RTC, the existing one is quite likely leaking corrosive electrolyte through the cables.

Reply 8 of 12, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to open the laptop. It looks like corrosion near the CMOS battery connector.
I did try to power the laptop without CMOS battery, hard drive and floppy drive. It shows the same symptom - all three lights stay ON.

Do you know if all the Compaq Armada 7700 series uses the same motherboard?
I think I will buy another 7700 from eBay and replace the motherboard.

Attachments

• DSC03031.JPG
    Filename
    DSC03031.JPG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 12, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-06-08, 10:40:
I managed to open the laptop. It looks like corrosion near the CMOS battery connector. I did try to power the laptop without CMO […]
Show full quote

I managed to open the laptop. It looks like corrosion near the CMOS battery connector.
I did try to power the laptop without CMOS battery, hard drive and floppy drive. It shows the same symptom - all three lights stay ON.

Do you know if all the Compaq Armada 7700 series uses the same motherboard?
I think I will buy another 7700 from eBay and replace the motherboard.

I think it's close , clean with contact cleaner and check the L4p diode... *may be bad. (is te fuse ok next to C662)
I will check my collection see if I have any 7700series but I don't think I have.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 10 of 12, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-08, 13:06:

I think it's close , clean with contact cleaner and check the L4p diode... *may be bad. (is te fuse ok next to C662)
I will check my collection see if I have any 7700series but I don't think I have.

Can you tell me where is the L4p diode?

The fuse is ok (I assume it's the component in the circle)

I googled search and found the motherboard board part no: 291736-001 https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/ … mpaq%207710.pdf
I thought 7700 series are using the same motherboard, but the part no. are different.
I just setup an eBay search for 'untested' + 'power on', + '7770DMT' and hopefully a cheap one will come up soon.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSC03031a.JPG
    Filename
    DSC03031a.JPG
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 12, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's str8te up from the fuse , It seemed oxidated , and located where can be bad but maybe I am wrong. Anything in particular warming up to HOT? on the MB? Maybe try checking the oxidated traces/may get lucky and one(or two) is interrupted

My 80486-S i66 Project