VOGONS

First post, by Dandelion212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Been a long ass time since I've posted on a dedicated forum, and will admit it's very nostalgic.

So, some backstory: In either late 2008 or early 2009, my dad and I built the ultimate Windows XP rig for me. Baby's first gaming PC. It was, infact, so damn good, that I used it through 2015. I played through Life Is Strange as the episodes came out through that year with absolutely zero problems in performance (despite XP being unsupported), but after that was about when games stopped refusing to run with XP as an operating system as a whole. I switched to a laptop after that, needing portability as a college student. Unfortunately, my dad ended up trashing it along with his old build from 2006 once he upgraded as well.

One thing I've missed majorly is how good my games from that era ran on that computer. Specifically the Sims franchise. I do not know what it is about Windows 10, but it runs the Sims 3, a notoriously jacked game for 2009, somehow even worse than it did on my poor desktop did as its fans screamed for their life. It runs the Sims 2 with major graphical errors that are annoying and sometimes inconsistent to fix, and doesn't run the original game at all. I also have a stash of like 50+ old CD-ROMS from my childhood I'd love to try out again. Pretty sure we've even got an actual copy of XP kicking around somewhere. I've tried VMs, but the patches and workarounds required for even a glimmer of hope for running some of these things... it's just too much of a hassle. I just wanna run the stuff on the real hardware and ditch the modern issues. I also just like, miss XP, dude.

Now, apologies if it sounds like I'm talking out my ass on half of this -- that's because I am. I know pretty much 10% of what I'm doing here. I know how to put parts together and how to google tutorials and fixes for things very well, and it's gotten me this far.

From that extensive searching, I've gathered that building a retro PC from scratch can be rather difficult and expensive with sourcing parts, so I'm prepared to go goodwill and ebay/marketplace hunting for a pre-built to modify as a compromise. I guess I'm wondering what kind of types of machines/years I might want to look for to use as a base and upgrade as needed for gaming. If I'm remembering correctly, I had a GeForce 8800 GTX in my PC. I have no idea what kind of CPU I had, but I know it was dual core. Sims 3 is extremely CPU heavy so I want something compatible with as late/good of a CPU as possible, while still being compatible with the x86 version of XP, since most of my old CD-ROMS are not x64 compatible.

Reply 1 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dandelion212 wrote on 2023-03-21, 01:56:

I have no idea what kind of CPU I had, but I know it was dual core.

Probably an Intel Core 2 Duo. Those were the main desktop Intel processors of the time (2006 to 2009). I had an Core 2 Duo E8400, which I remember being popular at the time.

Sims 3 is extremely CPU heavy so I want something compatible with as late/good of a CPU as possible, while still being compatible with the x86 version of XP, since most of my old CD-ROMS are not x64 compatible.

Something from the Core 2 Duo line (E8400, E8600) would be fine for that era of games. Though you could always go faster and get something from the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge line of processors (e.g. early i5's, i7's).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheap (old and crusty):

CPU: Core 2 Duo (preferably E8xxx)
Motherboard: Intel P35/P45 (preferably with DDR3)
RAM: 4Gb DDR2 800 or faster
GPU: GeForce 8800GTS/9800GTX/GTS 250 or Radeon 4850/4870, but something newer, if procured for peanuts, will also do (like GeForce GTS 450, for example)

Not so cheap (less crusty, more funky):

CPU: Core i5 2500K-Core i7 4770K range CPU
Motherboard: Z chipset for overclocking
RAM: Good 2000+ Mhz DDR3 4Gb kit with low timings (Corsair, G.Skill, etc)
GPU: GeForce GTX570/580/670/680/770/780/Titan/Titan Black
Optional: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi for EAX and good 3D positional audio

In all cases - SSD is highly recommended to skip long loading times.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably about the best time to build a strong XP PC with not alot of money.
A LGA775 / Core 2 Duo based system already makes for a fast XP rig, anything faster means you can play further into Vista/7 era gaming.
GPU is where I'd spend my money and get something from Serpent Rider's "less crusty" list. for the price you get a card with enough power to turn on driver enhancements like AA, AF, etc and still not worry.
Also worth getting a Creative Audigy 2 ZS or better a X-Fi, as XP was the last OS that supported Direct sound and things like EAX, not a big deal for Sims but alot of other games of the era will benifit.

Reply 4 of 8, by JayAlien

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One tip on the GPU side on pricing. Often the flagship GPU from a generation will be quite collectible, thus pricey. If you don't care about a particular model, you can save some cash (and possibly power) by buying the following generation's lower tier model. For example, for a 4870 you may find a 5770 performs on a similar tier, whist easier to find and costing a little less. Similarly a GTX 570 can be used in lieu of a GTX 480.

386sx25 SBP2 2M
P75(486) SB16 8M
P133 S3 Vir DX A64g 32M
P233MMX R128Pro A64 64M
Pii400 TNT2 Live! 128M
P3-1G V5 M80 256M
P3-1.4G R8500 A1 256M
A3200 9700Pro A2 512M
X6800 X850XT A2ZS 1G
E8600 X1950XTX Xfi 2G
QX9650 3870 Xfi 2G
i7-975 GTX570 Xfi 3GB

Reply 5 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon 4850/4870 are not very valued cards. Because 4890/4870X2 exist and AMD are not desirable cards in general.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dandelion212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayAlien wrote on 2023-03-21, 14:32:

One tip on the GPU side on pricing. Often the flagship GPU from a generation will be quite collectible, thus pricey. If you don't care about a particular model, you can save some cash (and possibly power) by buying the following generation's lower tier model. For example, for a 4870 you may find a 5770 performs on a similar tier, whist easier to find and costing a little less. Similarly a GTX 570 can be used in lieu of a GTX 480.

Great! One question I have is does the card manufacturer affect compatability? I see many versions that use the GTX 570 chipset for example.

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! A 8800 or 9800 can be found cheap and work very well under XP. The biggest cost will be in the motherboard....
Great! One question I have is does the card manufacturer affect compatability? I see many versions that use the GTX 570 chipset for example.
[/quote]
Stick with a known brand and no. Asus, MSI, EVGA.... an unknown brand could be a fake or china replica...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun