VOGONS

Period correct mouse for 486

Topic actions

First post, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 DX2/66 that I really enjoy, but I don't enjoy my Genius mouse with it. It's the old boxy model with three rectangular buttons. I also think it's not "period correct" (for what that's worth). What are some nice mouses from the mid 90s? I think Microsoft made a nice mouse in that period? I remember having one back then. I think it was blue, and I remember the buttons being nicely clicky. Are there others? My 486 doesn't have PS/2 unfortunately, so that limits what I can use with it.

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 1 of 33, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not pretending to know the exact state of the mouse availability back then, I'd say the average should be the serial mouse plugged to COM port on Multi-I/O card.

Somehow I managed to preserve the very same mouse I had back then with my Cx486SLC2-50 PC.
It's "Identity systems" mouse supporting both MS- and PC-mouse protocols, with the switch on the bottom.

idmouse1.jpg
Filename
idmouse1.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
idmouse2.jpg
Filename
idmouse2.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Microsoft Mouse 2.0, the 2 button "kidney" mouse shipped in 1993, and by 1996 it had a scroll wheel i think. Though price seemed a bit steep to me at the time $80 or so, when I was using cheap clones at $10-20

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-24, 14:57:

The Microsoft Mouse 2.0, the 2 button "kidney" mouse shipped in 1993, and by 1996 it had a scroll wheel i think. Though price seemed a bit steep to me at the time $80 or so, when I was using cheap clones at $10-20

+1

My father had this one on his 386DX-40 running Windows 95.. Also had an PS/2 to DE9 adapter.

640px-Microsoft_Serial_Mouse_2.0A-8521.jpg
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Micro … e_2.0A-8521.jpg

Personally, I had a generic Genius mouse (RS-232) in the mid 90s. Not the classic boxy model (GM3, GM6) but a "cheap" 90s era incarnation.
Not period correct, maybe, but worked nicely on that humble 286-12 PC with 4MB RAM, DOS 6.20/Windows 3.10, 80 MB AT-Bus HDD, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, SCSI CD-ROM, Mustek handy scanner, HP LaserJet Plus, 14k4 (?) Creatix modem..

genem01.jpg
Filename
genem01.jpg
File size
47.41 KiB
Views
File comment
Source: https://oldcomputer.info/pc/apmice/index2.htm
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 33, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also Logitech, I remember lots of these too. The rectangular one also came in a two-button version.

Attachments

• logitech.jpg
    Filename
    logitech.jpg
    File size
    46.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mouseman.jpg
    Filename
    mouseman.jpg
    File size
    4.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much every beige/white serial thing prior to the mousewheel's a 486 period mouse.

Mouse Systems was another big 90s brand of mice (.......and keyboards)

There's probably a generation grown on the Packard Bell ripple mouse (an extruded half-ball with wavy buttons)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 33, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything with a ball and crappy tracking and the requirement to clean the fuzz/grime off the rollers would be period correct.

As-in... I hate ball mice and always have, even when I was a kid.

As soon as Logitech released their first optical mouse, I had one. Then when they released a wireless optical, I bought that as well.

I probably had some optical mouse before I had a Logitech one.. maybe a Microsoft or something.

There were optical serial mice that required a special gridded mousepad so, even during 486 times, optical was "period correct".

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fellowes, Belkin, Kensington and progressively lower tiers of peripheral suppliers were knocking out ones like that until the millennium, and for a few years after the bottom feeders were still pushing them, probably at like $3 by then.

Edit: Though I should say it would have started late 80s early 90s as "The" mouse, but then got knocked down to second fiddle mid 90s, with such as Kensington's knockoff kidney mouse, then down to third when the scrollwheels came out, then 4th as optical, finishing as the economy option, or retained to catch business of companies with a lot of older systems where they weren't sure this fancy new USB serial bus connection interface thing would work.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 33, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-03-24, 15:06:
+1 […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-24, 14:57:

+1

My father had this one on his 386DX-40 running Windows 95.. Also had an PS/2 to DE9 adapter.

640px-Microsoft_Serial_Mouse_2.0A-8521.jpg
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Micro … e_2.0A-8521.jpg

Personally, I had a generic Genius mouse (RS-232) in the mid 90s. Not the classic boxy model (GM3, GM6) but a "cheap" 90s era incarnation.
Not period correct, maybe, but worked nicely on that humble 286-12 PC with 4MB RAM, DOS 6.20/Windows 3.10, 80 MB AT-Bus HDD, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, SCSI CD-ROM, Mustek handy scanner, HP LaserJet Plus, 14k4 (?) Creatix modem..

genem01.jpg

i have that exact kidney mouse, but it has the glossy finish, meaning it's a older serial mouse

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 11 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Windows9566 wrote:

i have that exact kidney mouse, but it has the glossy finish, meaning it's a older serial mouse

Cool! 😎 I remember there's also an older model that was common, too.
I think I've seen it amomg my father's old hw/sw collection, too.

It's this models, also available for serial&ps/2.
474px-Microsoft_InPort_BUS_Mouse.png
Source: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mic … t_BUS_Mouse.png

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 33, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For anyone interested in old Optical/non ball PC mice you can watch those, newest to oldest:
Who's responsible for the optical mouse? (it's not Xerox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIKZCQnplDA
Jack Hawley's Unstoppable Computer Mouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POSPaiutNlQ
LMOX2, The Other Weirdest Mouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UXmDuiqMW0
Q500, The Weirdest Optical Mouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6lxwjX2Bk

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 33, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a dove bar mouse too, it's the serial/ps2 compatible version, a bit scratched and slightly yellowed

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 14 of 33, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the early '90s I had a 2-button mouse from the now defunct "Mouse Systems" company... classic design

Attachments

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 15 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In this pic is mouse IBM were delivering with the PC330 486DX2 Systems in 1994 I think... file.php?id=120768

Reply 17 of 33, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-03-24, 19:48:

Also Logitech, I remember lots of these too. The rectangular one also came in a two-button version.

This is the answer. People that didn’t care just used whatever came with the computer. Enthusiasts had stuff like this because it meant they had to buy it separately. I was lucky that growing up my dad was into computers so we got on the Logitech train early. Im still using that exact 3 button mouseman on my current dos rig, recently found it in my fathers attic. Cleaned it up, redid the solder joints and it works like new. Something rather novel about using my actual childhood mouse.

Reply 18 of 33, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ohh that Logitech Mouseman! I think I had one of those! I had completely forgotten about it.

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 19 of 33, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-25, 21:23:
In this pic is mouse IBM were delivering with the PC330 486DX2 Systems in 1994 I think... https://www.vogons.org/download/file.p […]
Show full quote

In this pic is mouse IBM were delivering with the PC330 486DX2 Systems in 1994 I think... file.php?id=120768

also the keyboard come from the PC330 466DX2?because i have the same keybord but come from IBM PC330 P75....