VOGONS

Why do people like this exist?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was overwhelmed, had to less time to go through this pile. But I saved some computers. Due to my overload, I later refused to get Siemens Nixdorf or Compaq computers for 50 bucks each.

I got two IBM 300, one 5160 clone chassis with a 286 m fox octek Mobo (with shorted tandals), one wisdom Computer with DTK 10MHz Turbo Board, an 8088 in another clone case, several MFM controller and Seagate HDDs a lot of 360kb and 1,2 MB floppy Drives, some cables four CRT monitors, tv and graphics cards. One a Unisys screen which fits to my Unisys pw² 500 16A. A 268 original Nixdorf before Siemens joined, with CRT and pinwriter of that time.

Lot of books, software, floppys and a lot of controller, multi I/O, graphics and other ISA cards. An eeprom programmer, some Keyboards and a lot smaller 3,5" IDE drives of the earlier generation. Ah, and a blue scenic 101 Multimedia PC. Some AT PSU ...

I'm just at the beginning to get into the vintage stuff, and unsure, what to do with it. So I may omit some good occasion ...

Maybe the RLL drives from Seagate are low leveling now fine, because I made some mistakes in the first place to initialize them. Thee is another thread on that.

I saw they packed the computers to a van for scraping(?). So I trust him, when he told me, that he's on the move to another location. He must leave for may 1st.

Reply 41 of 42, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-18, 17:25:
I was overwhelmed, had to less time to go through this pile. But I saved some computers. Due to my overload, I later refused to […]
Show full quote

I was overwhelmed, had to less time to go through this pile. But I saved some computers. Due to my overload, I later refused to get Siemens Nixdorf or Compaq computers for 50 bucks each.

I got two IBM 300, one 5160 clone chassis with a 286 m fox octek Mobo (with shorted tandals), one wisdom Computer with DTK 10MHz Turbo Board, an 8088 in another clone case, several MFM controller and Seagate HDDs a lot of 360kb and 1,2 MB floppy Drives, some cables four CRT monitors, tv and graphics cards. One a Unisys screen which fits to my Unisys pw² 500 16A. A 268 original Nixdorf before Siemens joined, with CRT and pinwriter of that time.

Lot of books, software, floppys and a lot of controller, multi I/O, graphics and other ISA cards. An eeprom programmer, some Keyboards and a lot smaller 3,5" IDE drives of the earlier generation. Ah, and a blue scenic 101 Multimedia PC. Some AT PSU ...

I'm just at the beginning to get into the vintage stuff, and unsure, what to do with it. So I may omit some good occasion ...

Maybe the RLL drives from Seagate are low leveling now fine, because I made some mistakes in the first place to initialize them. Thee is another thread on that.

I saw they packed the computers to a van for scraping(?). So I trust him, when he told me, that he's on the move to another location. He must leave for may 1st.

you saved some, its good. i can imagine it is overwhelming in there!

Reply 42 of 42, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what whas agreed or or how reasonable prices were, not that it matters, as long as you both feel like you got a good deal and glad he was a bit more flexible allowing you take just a few bits. Maybe it was just to keep away the time wasters.
Alot of it looked did look like scrap, interesting scrap but still scrap and would have probably taken another 30 years to test and sell majority of the parts on even then I doubt much profit would have been made.
Like gerry said, you saved a bit which is better then nothing