VOGONS

Why do people like this exist?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 42, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most computer users today know very little about hardware specifications; only a small portion of those who do know the value of vintage hardware.

Imagine this: Put a Voodoo4 4500 and a low-end PCIe card side by side and grab 100 passersby, ask them which card would you like to have. I'd say >90% wouldn't even be interested; most of those who'd take it seriously would pick the PCIe card, while probably only one would be surprised "Wait, is that a Voodoo4?!"

Reply 23 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would be surprised if even 1 out of 100 people would recognize that it was a Voodoo 4.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 42, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it looks mad, the volume of stuff alone

yet how many of us here know that by following a few more contacts, by volunteering to take things from small companies for nominal sums and generally becoming the local e-trash for everyeone we too could ahve built up a fairly disastrous collection - one that in the end haunts us and forces us to let it all go

if i had all this i would take weekends to test and sell 20 at a time, just put them on ebay or whatever no reserve and realistic postal charge. I couldnt trash it, something that would cost with this amount anyway i'd imagine. After a couple of months it would start to look manageable and maybe one or two nice surprises there either to keep or the occasional nice sale price

i have too many computers as it is and would barely fill one corner of this room

Reply 26 of 42, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-04-01, 16:14:

if i had all this i would take weekends to test and sell 20 at a time, just put them on ebay or whatever

Selling is an arduous task. You have to talk to people, actually package stuff, get out of the house, and ebay seller experience is not optimal to say the least. Enormously harder than just clicking Buy, receiving package and unpacking it. Some people dont even bother with the last step 😜 satisfied with the mere thought of secured possession, or simply forget about as it was all about that dopamine hit when clicking 😀.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 27 of 42, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
frankmonk wrote on 2023-03-31, 22:26:

That's a well known guy on Germans craiglist. He is listing his collection for almost 2 years. I doubt he ever sold something to someone
He is just desperately searching for attention.

Craigslist only works in the USA, nowhere else in the world.

Reply 28 of 42, by Capcholo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most of this stuff looks cannibalized and he didn't even bother to put the cases back together. That could mean that he didn't really care so he took out most drives and cards because that's easy money. There are a few back panel shots and almost none of them have a card in them so they are either empty cases or incomplete rigs with bad PSU and/or acid damaged boards that's very common with 386-486 era computers.
Honestly it looks like it's 80% unusable trash he didn't want to take to ewaste because it might worth a lot some day.
There is nothing wrong with selling untested stuff but have at least 2-3 good photos of the inside so the buyer sees what he gets.

Reply 29 of 42, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-04-01, 16:38:

if i had all this i would take weekends to test and sell 20 at a time, just put them on ebay or whatever

Selling is an arduous task. You have to talk to people, actually package stuff, get out of the house, and ebay seller experience is not optimal to say the least. Enormously harder than just clicking Buy, receiving package and unpacking it. Some people dont even bother with the last step 😜 satisfied with the mere thought of secured possession, or simply forget about as it was all about that dopamine hit when clicking 😀.

true, it takes effort to sell - hence the idea of doing a bit at a time and being organised

but then an organised person wouldnt have it looking like this, and as capcholo and others noticed - the stuff looks in poor shape anyway

a shame, there will still be some good things in this collection, and likely to lost forever

Reply 30 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some people dont even bother with the last step 😜 satisfied with the mere thought of secured possession, or simply forget about as it was all about that dopamine hit when clicking 😀.

To unpack some retro hardware you've bought? Blasphemous! Well, to be more serious, some stuff might be bought as spare sparts for future use (you never know when they'll become unobtanium) and can stay unpacked.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 31 of 42, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if i had all this i would take weekends to test and sell 20 at a time, just put them on ebay or whatever no reserve and realistic postal charge. I couldnt trash it, something that would cost with this amount anyway i'd imagine. After a couple of months it would start to look manageable and maybe one or two nice surprises there either to keep or the occasional nice sale price

With a move half way round the world coming up this is what I'm curranty doing

Selling is an arduous task. You have to talk to people, actually package stuff, get out of the house, and ebay seller experience is not optimal to say the least. Enormously harder than just clicking Buy, receiving package and unpacking it.

alot of people don't understand this part.
Not much of what I'm curranty selling is worth much, it's the left overs from when I upgraded computer's I'd picked up so lower end CPU's, sticks of RAM, graphic cards. £5 shipping and £1 start price.
99% of it doesn't sell weeks on end but occasionally something randomly goes for £6 hardly worth my time or effort but that's 1 less thing going to ewaste.

Software is worse in a way, I've a number of unopened copes of older versions of Office mostly Mac. People asking how to install as they don't have a DVD drive or will it work with their so and so machine?
So you want software for £1 and customer support!? I mean so far the questions are easy enough but it's still time and really how hard is it to google the question.

Reply 32 of 42, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-04-03, 12:02:
With a move half way round the world coming up this is what I'm curranty doing […]
Show full quote

With a move half way round the world coming up this is what I'm curranty doing

Selling is an arduous task. You have to talk to people, actually package stuff, get out of the house, and ebay seller experience is not optimal to say the least. Enormously harder than just clicking Buy, receiving package and unpacking it.

alot of people don't understand this part.
Not much of what I'm curranty selling is worth much, it's the left overs from when I upgraded computer's I'd picked up so lower end CPU's, sticks of RAM, graphic cards. £5 shipping and £1 start price.
99% of it doesn't sell weeks on end but occasionally something randomly goes for £6 hardly worth my time or effort but that's 1 less thing going to ewaste.

Software is worse in a way, I've a number of unopened copes of older versions of Office mostly Mac. People asking how to install as they don't have a DVD drive or will it work with their so and so machine?
So you want software for £1 and customer support!? I mean so far the questions are easy enough but it's still time and really how hard is it to google the question.

Mm yeah selling is a hassle. I some some Wii games once and one buyer wanted a refund when they did not work with his kid's Switch. It was like 10$. Who even makes an effort over that amount..

Reply 33 of 42, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2023-04-03, 21:10:

Mm yeah selling is a hassle. I some some Wii games once and one buyer wanted a refund when they did not work with his kid's Switch. It was like 10$. Who even makes an effort over that amount..

I noticed a particular problem on eBay recently, if viewing on a mobile device, they bury the description, gotta dig for it, click another button. That's gotta mean a whole lot of buyers not even registering anything in the description subconsciously, it hasn't been past their eyes. Makes me wanna put everything up for "Buy it now" silly money, but small print discount code at bottom of description. Paste this in your offer for 80% off, bringing it inline with market price but hopefully you got a buyer that read the description.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 34 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-04-03, 22:39:

I noticed a particular problem on eBay recently, if viewing on a mobile device, they bury the description, gotta dig for it, click another button. That's gotta mean a whole lot of buyers not even registering anything in the description subconsciously, it hasn't been past their eyes. Makes me wanna put everything up for "Buy it now" silly money, but small print discount code at bottom of description. Paste this in your offer for 80% off, bringing it inline with market price but hopefully you got a buyer that read the description.

I don't view much thru my phone just because their mobile site is crappy. Good idea on the discount code. If selling were allowed here in a true member only area with say a 1 year plus membership would do that and let you all have lots of my not needed stuff for a decent price 🤣 (why do I have 6 MV PAS and some 20 SB cards sitting in boxes... sigh)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35 of 42, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-04-03, 22:39:
Joakim wrote on 2023-04-03, 21:10:

Not a bad idea, actually. The 8-bit guy made this ten years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYsw8f77RY

It's like if you have a very low price, it will start to smell and attract the worst people. 😀

Reply 38 of 42, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-07, 11:43:

I'll visit him in a week, because I live nearby. I think he's moving and therefore got no space for it. Also it may be enough after 10 years of hoarding. But I'll see.

Any luck going to see this huge collection of old tech?

Reply 39 of 42, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only 246 computers... a smallish lot 😁

Without more information it's impossible to know if it's a good buy for 7000 euro and it's a bit too much cash to gamble. I bought a lot about half that size a few years ago for ~2000 euro. It was probably a decent deal at the time but it's hard to know as I rarely sell stuff. If you have room to spare it's pretty nice to have a few hundred old systems to tinker with now and then.

The pictures seems to show a basement so the seller doesn't seem to have serious storage problems so why is he selling? Not easy to answer but I do know why the seller I bought from sold his collection. The man aged around 50 had been to Asia where he had met an attractive young woman. It seems young women from Asia do not always fancy small 2 room apartments filled with 100s of computers, who could have guessed! 😁

Perhaps she arrives on April 16th ?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.