VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I am at a lost. I have this little computer upgraded with a 200MHz MMX, 128 MB of RAM , 6GB HDD, Voodoo Banshee PCI, ESS 1869F ISA with X2GS Midi card, and a PCI NEC based Adaptec 2 port USB 2 card. I have the outter case off. If I lay the computer on it's side with the motherboard backside against the desk side of the case the machine runs flawless. If I turn it upright I will either get a 1-3-1 beep code with a black scree, or it will freeze at the Banshee BIOS screen, Freeze during IBM Post screen, or rarely boot Windows and then freeze some moments later. I am running out of ideas here. It seemed to work ok when I first purchased it a few days ago doing some very limited testing. I have reseated all the RAM, expansion cards, and the huge stupid riser card this system uses. I don't understand how to orientation is screwing it up. Any suggestions?!

Reply 2 of 3, by echothedolphin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 2176-c65 that had a similar issue. It ended up being a bad connection between the riser and the motherboard. Apparently the recommended connection order is connector pieces in the riser first, then install I. The motherboard. Once I took it out and put it back together in the right order all was good!

I cannot recall if I had the same beep code though, but I did have one. I can check and see if I can replicate it in the next few days if you can wait that long.

Reply 3 of 3, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up ordering a spare later revision motherboard and of course it was DOA. However, I did find a screw behind the motherboard between it and the case that someone has dropped at somepoint so maybe it was shorting something out. Since doing a full removal of all the components and a reinstall it so far is working great. Knock on wood haha.