VOGONS

First post, by Will

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an Athena AT40 AT PSU from Amazon for a 486 build I'm working on and it doesn't seem to be working. It will power on once, the system will POST eventually, but after that it won't work again. Even POST is flaky and takes a long time if it POSTs at all. If I power off the PC, then power it back on, I just get a constant single beep from the PC speaker. The beep is unusual as well, it is a much lower tone than the normal post beeps. The only way I can get it to power on again is by unplugging it from the outlet and leaving it for a few seconds. I've tried it with 3 different boards, and all of these boards work fine using a really old 2o0w AT PSU. Is this PSU defective or am I missing something?

Reply 1 of 5, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a multimeter you may be able to probe the pins on the AT connector while it's running and measure the current, then you could compare against the working PSU. Perhaps the PSU is mostly working but isn't delivering enough current and that is why the system runs slow, and why the POST beep is lower pitch.

If there is a faulty capacitor, maybe that is why it works briefly and then needs a complete discharge before working again.

Reply 3 of 5, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Will wrote on 2023-03-31, 17:57:

I bought an Athena AT40 AT PSU from Amazon for a 486 build I'm working on and it doesn't seem to be working.

I have 2 of these Athena AT40 AT PSU's and they are somewhere deep down in a box and I will never use them because their quality is... scatchy, to say the least.

Not only that, AT power supplies can be dangerous as hell.

I would highly recommend to get a better quality ATX PSU and use an adaptor cable to power an AT motherboard.

Will wrote on 2023-03-31, 17:57:

I've tried it with 3 different boards, and all of these boards work fine using a really old 2o0w AT PSU.

This is a good way to kill all your precious old hardware.

Edit: To answer sangokushi question. I don't remember dates on those PSUs. I think they might have been manufactured in the mid to late 2000's. So, not exaclty NOS, just a bottom of the barel very late production run.

Reply 4 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this just a bare board connected to PSU or are you remembering to connect an old drive to it to put some load on 12V ?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 5, by Will

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-03-31, 18:51:

Just curious, does it show manufacture date on the PSU? Is it an old stock?

It's brand new from Amazon.

Turns out I think the problem was not enough load. When I was testing I only used a board and a video card just to see if it would post. I added two more cards and connected a cd-rom drive to power as well, now it works everytime. 400w is overkill for a 486 system, but it was actually cheaper than the 300w when I bought it.