VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using a ACORPP 5ALI61 Board with the northbridge M1542 A1 and Soutbridge M1543 B1. The BIOS Chip reads:
Award
All rights reserved
PCI/PNP 586
S/N 148767343 @1998
and my Bios shows the version number 2A5KKF9A

and the bios fails to identify a 128GB drive (16GB works fine). And apparently there is a bug that some bios versions cant detect more than 32GB.
It will not find the drive in bios, and you can also not even boot from a different device unless you set it to none. Limiting the size as explained by phil here does not work.

I found these drivers: https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=674

But these are actually 4 drivers:

Acorp 5ALI61 (with 1Mbit BIOS)
5ali61v15.zip 02/20/2001
This is a beta BIOS from Acer for the 5ALI61 boards with 1Mbit (128KB) flash chip. This BIOS will also work on the RedFox AGP-ALI board but
it lacks the option to boot from SCSI first.

Acorp 5ALI61 (with 2Mbit BIOS)
VER:2.2_33 V2.2_33.EXE 11/02/1999
VER:3.3_66 V3.3_66.EXE 02/02/2000
These BIOSes are for 5ALI61 boards with 2Mbit (256KB) flash chip.
Use the ver 2.x BIOS if your board has an M1543C-A1 southbridge. The ver 3.x BIOS is meant for the M1543C-B1 southbridge.

Redfox AGP-ALI v1.4 (with 1Mbit BIOS)
Ali_j1 (Redfox AGP-ALI BIOS v1.4).zip 12/03/2003
RedFox/Fordlian AGP-ALI motherboard BIOS V1.4 with patch J.1 for AMD K6-2+ and K6-III+ support by Jan Steunebrink

And it seems like Options 2-3 are for different boards. Not sure whether Option 1 and 4 would work and I also don't know if they would actually fix the issue. How can I tell which size flash chip I got?

Also do I see it correctly, that I basically just got one shot and if that fails I would need a new chip?

Reply 1 of 9, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Kordanor,

Checking which flashchip and BIOS size you have, can simply be done with a flash tool like Awdflash.exe.
If you don’t have the flasher for this 5ALI61 board, you can use Awdflash v7.95. This flasher works fine here on any non-Asus socket 7 board with an Award BIOS.
You can download Awdflash v7.95 from my website at:
http://www.steunebrink.info/AWD795.zip

At a clean boot DOS prompt (no EMM386 or Windows), enter the command:

AWDFLASH /pn /sy

The /pn switch stands for “Program No” and /sy means “Save Yes”.
Leaving out a filename avoids the risk of flashing an incorrect BIOS.

After this command you should see this:

IMG_20230403_140339.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230403_140339.jpg
File size
691.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Awdflash Save BIOS screen
File license
Public domain

The Awdflash program shows you the flashchip partnumber. Please tell us what it says.
In the second “File Name to Save” box you can enter a filename of your choice. I used “BACKUP1.BIN” as example.
After pressing the Enter key, the flashchip contents will be saved in the file you specified. Checking the size of this file will tell you if the BIOS is 128 or 256KB.
Please post this BIOS file here, so I can help you decide which BIOS update is the right one for your board. 😀

Jan

Edit: updated the link to my website

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2023-07-16, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 2 of 9, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-04-03, 15:33:
Hi Kordanor, […]
Show full quote

Hi Kordanor,

Checking which flashchip and BIOS size you have, can simply be done with a flash tool like Awdflash.exe.
If you don’t have the flasher for this 5ALI61 board, you can use Awdflash v7.95. This flasher works fine here on any non-Asus socket 7 board with an Award BIOS.
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/AWD795.zip

AWDFLASH /pn /sy

IMG_20230403_140339.jpg

The Awdflash program shows you the flashchip partnumber. Please tell us what it says.
In the second “File Name to Save” box you can enter a filename of your choice. I used “BACKUP1.BIN” as example.
After pressing the Enter key, the flashchip contents will be saved in the file you specified. Checking the size of this file will tell you if the BIOS is 128 or 256KB.
Please post this BIOS file here, so I can help you decide which BIOS update is the right one for your board. 😀

Jan

Thank you!

Here is a screenshot of what the program shows:

vcs 2023-04-03 at 18.08.44.png
Filename
vcs 2023-04-03 at 18.08.44.png
File size
32.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And the BIN can be found here, as I cant upload it on the forum (it's 128KB): https://drive.google.com/file/d/10k_V32fQKnZB … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 3 of 9, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the BIOS file. It is the original version 1.2 BIOS from 11/24/1998 and indeed has the 32GB HDD limit bug.
This BIOS is 128KB and your Winbond 29EE011 is an 1Mbit flash memory, so for the BIOS update you are limited to a 128KB version as well.

You can now choose between the VER:1.4 patch J.1, and the VER:1.5 BETA BIOS.
They both support HDDs up to 128 GiB and the K6plus CPUs.
I have no experience with the VER:1.5 BETA, but the VER:1.4 patch J.1 was extensively tested by a number of 5ALI61 users before I published it on my Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page.
So my choice would be the VER:1.4 patch J.1 BIOS. 😉

Boot again to a clean DOS-prompt and flashing the new BIOS can be done with the command:

AWDFLASH ALI_J1.BIN /py /sn /cc

The /cc switch will erase the CMOS content so that data from the old BIOS will not interfere with the functions of the new BIOS version.
After flashing and reboot, you will see a ‘CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded’ message and from there you can proceed normally with your preferred BIOS Setup settings.

Cheers, Jan

Reply 5 of 9, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're welcome.
If you have a K6-2+ or K6-III+ CPU, you can now even use that on this board. 😉

Greetings, Jan

Reply 7 of 9, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-04-03, 15:33:
Hi Kordanor, […]
Show full quote

Hi Kordanor,

http://www.steunebrink.info/AWD795.zip

AWDFLASH /pn /sy

IMG_20230403_140339.jpg

Jan

Edit: updated the link to my website

Do you know if the BIOS Update might also have changed some of the available BIOS options?
I looked into using the slowdown tool discussed here: Re: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming
But it does not work. As my BIOS Options also don't exactly match what I can find in the manual I am wondering if the BIOS Update has anything to do with it.

In particular I mean the "Throttle Duty Cycle", which is shown in the manual, but is not present in the BIOS. Instead I got "Wake Up on LAN Use". Ofc this might also be down to a different board revision or anything similar.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 9, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-22, 09:34:
Do you know if the BIOS Update might also have changed some of the available BIOS options? I looked into using the slowdown tool […]
Show full quote

Do you know if the BIOS Update might also have changed some of the available BIOS options?
I looked into using the slowdown tool discussed here: Re: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming
But it does not work. As my BIOS Options also don't exactly match what I can find in the manual I am wondering if the BIOS Update has anything to do with it.

In particular I mean the "Throttle Duty Cycle", which is shown in the manual, but is not present in the BIOS. Instead I got "Wake Up on LAN Use". Ofc this might also be down to a different board revision or anything similar.

Hi Kordanor,

Yes, it is quite normal for the available BIOS Setup options to change after a BIOS update.

About the “Throttle Duty Cycle” option in your 5ALI61 manual, I looked in the v1.2, v1.4, and v1.5 Beta BIOSes for this board but this option isn’t present in any of them. So the manual is simply wrong or this option was only present in an even earlier v1.0 or v1.1 BIOS, if they existed. 😉

I don’t know why the CpuSpd tool doesn’t work on your 5ALI61 system, but the “Throttle Duty Cycle” option has nothing to do with slowing the CPU down in normal operation. This option in the Award BIOS allows you to set how far the CPU will throttle back when in Doze mode. That’s why the option is part of the Power Management Setup.
So this option doesn’t do anything when the CPU is working, but controls how cool the system will run when the CPU has nothing to do.

Without this option, the BIOS will probably throttle back to a fixed percentage, like 62.5%, when in Doze mode, or let the OS have full control of Power Management via the ACPI interface.

Cheers, Jan