VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish to create a very simple Turbo display, which will toggle only between HI and LO.
Planning to follow this guide: https://oldcomputer.info/hacks/ledhilo/index.htm
I ordered a 2 digit 7 segment display, but it is using only 10 pins, which to my understanding require some more sophisticated circuit to multiplex, otherwise both digits will display the same thing. All the examples I could find use a dedicated driver IC or an Arduino etc.
I already ordered a display with 16 pins, to be able to control each segment individually, but I wonder...
Am I missing something? Is it possible to use passive components (I have some NPN transistors, caps and resistors) to drive the 10 pin display?

Reply 1 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will take a handful of parts to handle the multiplexing, you certainly don't need a MCU although parts count is a lot lower that way.
It could possibly be done with few logic chips and some passives to handle digit driving and oscillator. There's only few segments different between the HI and LO which helps to make the design much simpler compared to neding some arbitrary change. It will still take a bunch of parts compared to MCU or using non-muxed display.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many original turbo displays just used some simple transistors to perform the display switching. You can view old datasheets for them, since some show the circuit design.

Example..

Attachments

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2023-04-04, 11:42:

Many original turbo displays just used some simple transistors to perform the display switching. You can view old datasheets for them, since some show the circuit design.

Example..

Thanks, I actually found that too, but I think that this diagram is for a 16 pin display which can address each segment individually...
I may not have been clear. I am looking for a way to use the 10 pin display, without a dedicated IC or some micro controller.

Reply 5 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the 10-pin display needs to be multiplexed, so you're going to need integrated circuits, unless you want to build the entire thing out of discrete gates using transistors which would be ginormous.

My Github

Reply 6 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2023-04-04, 13:02:

Well, the 10-pin display needs to be multiplexed, so you're going to need integrated circuits, unless you want to build the entire thing out of discrete gates using transistors which would be ginormous.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll wait for the 16 pin display to arrive.

BTW, I had an idea of recreating the pcb of one of the simpler displays, like the K-568.
I never created such PCB from scratch though. Any idea if such project already exists? Some Gerber file that I can just send to JLCPCB and such?

Reply 7 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd have to design your own using a software like KiCAD, Altium, Eagle, etc. But yes, I have already made several turbo displays. The projects are posted here on Vogons and on my Github.

My Github

Reply 8 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2023-04-04, 13:25:

You'd have to design your own using a software like KiCAD, Altium, Eagle, etc. But yes, I have already made several turbo displays. The projects are posted here on Vogons and on my Github.

Oh I didn't realize you're the author of this: Fabricating a New Turbo Display 😀
I don't think that I'll be able to reverse engineer the board, especially from pictures. I hoped someone already did the hard job 😜
Maybe someday I'll crack open one of my cases and try to do it.

Reply 9 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For reverse engineering, the best thing to do is to pickup a turbo display off ebay. I bought quite a few before those projects, and they can usually be obtained for less than $20. Or, try grabbing an old AT case that has one in it -- although many people want $100+ for those now. Setting search alerts and waiting a while helps, since every once in a while you can get the AT cases for $50 or less. They sell quick though.

My Github