VOGONS

First post, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. New to Vogons (at least as a member), so I figured this would be an appropriate first post since it's awesome retro goodness.

I recently came across this HP Vectra XU in need of some tlc. Please forgive the dust: Allergies + horrid weather = delayed cleaning.

resized.jpg
Filename
resized.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

A couple of weeks ago, I went about replacing the power supply's fan, as all but 2 of its blades had somehow gotten torn off and were all over the inside (I suspect a kid stuck a screwdriver into mommy or daddy's workstation a number of years ago). Surprisingly, it works fine. Sadly, I forgot to snap a photo of that project. Furthermore, the CPU fan was grinding and I was about to replace it when I realized that someone had installed it backwards, drawing air in rather than pushing it out. Flipping it back over caused the grinding to stop.

Today, I found a dual Socket 8 daughtercard that was pulled from an IBM server. It had a 200 MHz Pentium Pro with 256k cache with matching steppings to the one in my Vectra, and it also had the appropriate 5-volt VRM module. Here's the daughtercard, of which I am pointing at where I pulled the processor and VRM:

PXL_20230410_032818912.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230410_032818912.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

While I would've loved to use that pair of 64 MB RAM sticks that came with the daughtercard, and while they seem to be same type and voltage as the RAM in my Vectra (FPM or EDO, ECC FB-DIMM, 3.3v), the key in the middle of the sticks somehow didn't match up with the Vectra's slots. Then again, I could be completely wrong about the RAM types, but it seems weird to me either way. Oh well. I still got a second Pentium Pro installed. Besides, 96 MB (a pair of original HP/Samsung-branded 16's and a pair of after-market 32's someone upgraded this system with years ag0) is more than enough for NT4 Workstation.

Here's the pair of Pentium Pro's with their VRM's, all set up and ready to go:

PXL_20230410_032228637.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230410_032228637.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I know that the VRM's don't match, but as HP was one of the first (if not THE first) major PC makers to build with the Pentium Pro, they used Intel reference VRM's. As long as it's 5v input and a variable 2.1-3.5v output with around 11 amps (for the 256k cache variants), it works. The electrical tape is because the capacitor tips touch the back of the case, since it is a tiny bit wider than the one the Vectra came with. Also, I'll take photos of the board itself without the heatsinks when I get my hands on some more thermal paste. I'm in between tubes at the moment.

Next up was the hard drive, as this system arrived without one (although, thankfully, the tray was included with its screws taped to it). The best drive this system shipped with in its day was a 4 GB SCSI, and I think it was either a 5400 or 7200 RPM, so what did I do? Threw in a drive with twice the space and even more speed, because why not? Enter the Quantum Atlas 10k:

PXL_20230410_032239135.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230410_032239135.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Whisper-quiet bearings, too. Woot! 9.1 GB.

After reinstalling Windows NT 4.0, this is the lovely screen I was greeted with:

PXL_20230410_032702438.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230410_032702438.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2 System Processors. Multiprocessor Kernel. This is what a mid-90's NT workstation is supposed to say. It just seemed naked and sad before, when all it said was 'Uniprocessor.'

I paid $180 for the Vectra and $80 for the IBM daughtercard. The satisfaction of having a dual Pentium Pro workstation, however, is priceless.

HP really makes some excellent workstations. One of these days, I'll get my hands on a ZX6000 for Itanium 2 bragging rights, but for now, a pair of Pentium Pro's is awesome enough.

This system is a real workhorse: Wicked fast and highly capable for what it was designed for in its day, extremely hardy and reliable, and it just looks badass. Its longevity is also phenomenal. I also find it pretty cool that this system essentially gave way to the Kayak series, as this was HP's most powerful Intel-based workstation made a year prior to the Kayak line's introduction. The top-of-the-line Kayaks (XA, XU, XW) used this same case (although with a few refinements, like sticking a fan next to the giant speaker beneath the triple-5.25 bay and in front of the drive bays in later iterations).

Reply 1 of 10, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is something really special with dual Pentium Pro systems. Really nice to se this one in good working condition.

I hope that I can upgrade my "sleeper station" to dual Pentium Pro some day, but finding the correct CPU-board for a Dell Optiplex GXpro seems to be hard.

Reply 2 of 10, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-04-10, 06:31:

There is something really special with dual Pentium Pro systems. Really nice to se this one in good working condition.

I hope that I can upgrade my "sleeper station" to dual Pentium Pro some day, but finding the correct CPU-board for a Dell Optiplex GXpro seems to be hard.

I had no idea the GXPro was a dual-processor system. I always thought that it only took one Pentium Pro. Does the second processor go on a card that fits into the brown slot directly next to the Socket 8? It looks like a cache slot, but that would be pointless for a Pentium Pro.

I suppose I lucked out when the cheapest Pentium Pro system I could find on eBay was the Vectra XU in 'unknown condition,' which is of course a dual Socket 8 with the sockets directly on the motherboard. I think these systems generally go for a heck of a lot more, especially if it comed with 2 processors and is in perfect working order.

Reply 3 of 10, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
reodraca wrote on 2023-04-10, 14:38:

I had no idea the GXPro was a dual-processor system. I always thought that it only took one Pentium Pro. Does the second processor go on a card that fits into the brown slot directly next to the Socket 8? It looks like a cache slot, but that would be pointless for a Pentium Pro.

I suppose I lucked out when the cheapest Pentium Pro system I could find on eBay was the Vectra XU in 'unknown condition,' which is of course a dual Socket 8 with the sockets directly on the motherboard. I think these systems generally go for a heck of a lot more, especially if it comed with 2 processors and is in perfect working order.

Yes, its mountes on a "add-in card" that I found in the manual. I don't think they were very common so finding one would be very unlikely

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36727/Dell- … ?page=68#manual

If you don't have a second cpu its occupied by a terminator board. The computer will not start without it.

My thread about my GXpro:
Dell OptiPlex GXpro - a little 1996 workstation project

Reply 4 of 10, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-04-10, 15:04:
Yes, its mountes on a "add-in card" that I found in the manual. I don't think they were very common so finding one would be very […]
Show full quote

Yes, its mountes on a "add-in card" that I found in the manual. I don't think they were very common so finding one would be very unlikely

If you don't have a second cpu its occupied by a terminator board. The computer will not start without it.

I actually looked up the GXpro after you mentioned it, and one of the first results was your Vogons topic regarding yours. I've been reading it before you linked it 🤣.

Dang, it's been nearly a year since your last post there and still nothing's turned up? I wonder. Did Dell actually make any of these add-in cards, or did they just 'officially release' them but never actually make any? Perhaps between 0 to 5 people in the world actually ordered a dual-CPU GXpro, making it next to impossible to find one 27 years later. It seems like Dell's dual-CPU business-class systems didn't really take off until they released the GX300, because apparently a pair of Pentium II's or III's ended up being way more popular than a pair of Pentium Pro's. Even then, was it ever really sensible of Dell? OptiPlex is a business-class product line, after all, and not a workstation-class one like Dell's Precision line, where dual processors make more sense.

Either way, good luck on hunting for that mythical beast!

Reply 5 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i've been meaning to get one of these boxes for quite a while. I love the style of these machines. I'm a bit agast as the prices now. I thought they would be cheap forever.

I also need to get off my fat ass and find a way to make some new VRM modules.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 10, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2023-04-10, 16:54:

i've been meaning to get one of these boxes for quite a while. I love the style of these machines. I'm a bit agast as the prices now. I thought they would be cheap forever.

I also need to get off my fat ass and find a way to make some new VRM modules.

I lucked out with the price of this one, twice so considering it was sold as 'untested' and had a bit of external wear and tear (the scratches along the sides of the case are deep enough to have stripped a good chunk of paint off). I think a decent working system like this can easily go for twice what I paid, at minimum. It's always a gamble with untested hardware, and I was feeling lucky.

Also, wasn't the Pentium Pro always a more expensive setup? Intel had to sell them at a far higher price due to poor yields surrounding the fact that one bad CPU or cache die on the package meant the whole thing had to be scrapped. I was under the impression that it was never one of the cheaper options, even during the period between its obsolescence and its eventual status as a retro collectible. I could be wrong, though, since I was a preteen when it became obsolete and only had then-new Pentium 4's and Radeon 9800 XT's on my mind at the time.

With regard to VRM's, wouldn't it just be easier to ensure that the board you have uses Intel's reference and source one? There seem to be plenty available. Unless you have one of those boards that use a custom VRM pin-out or a different VRM socket or slot altogether, or if you enjoy making your own boards.

Reply 7 of 10, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
reodraca wrote on 2023-04-10, 15:43:
I actually looked up the GXpro after you mentioned it, and one of the first results was your Vogons topic regarding yours. I've […]
Show full quote
Yes, its mountes on a "add-in card" that I found in the manual. I don't think they were very common so finding one would be very […]
Show full quote

I actually looked up the GXpro after you mentioned it, and one of the first results was your Vogons topic regarding yours. I've been reading it before you linked it 🤣.

Dang, it's been nearly a year since your last post there and still nothing's turned up? I wonder. Did Dell actually make any of these add-in cards, or did they just 'officially release' them but never actually make any? Perhaps between 0 to 5 people in the world actually ordered a dual-CPU GXpro, making it next to impossible to find one 27 years later. It seems like Dell's dual-CPU business-class systems didn't really take off until they released the GX300, because apparently a pair of Pentium II's or III's ended up being way more popular than a pair of Pentium Pro's. Even then, was it ever really sensible of Dell? OptiPlex is a business-class product line, after all, and not a workstation-class one like Dell's Precision line, where dual processors make more sense.

The GXpro is a quite odd system. Proffessional workstation performance in a desktop case. I dont think they were that common but I'm happy that I got mine.

I have two HP Vectras also but they are Pentium 200 and Pentium 200MMX so not the coolest versions 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-04-10, 17:47:
reodraca wrote on 2023-04-10, 15:43:
I actually looked up the GXpro after you mentioned it, and one of the first results was your Vogons topic regarding yours. I've […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

The GXpro is a quite odd system. Proffessional workstation performance in a desktop case. I dont think they were that common but I'm happy that I got mine.

I have two HP Vectras also but they are Pentium 200 and Pentium 200MMX so not the coolest versions 😀

To be fair, both the Pentium and the Pentium MMX are awesome in their own right. The Pentium was the world's first mass-produced superscalar processor and the first to end Intel's number naming convention, and the MMX variant is amazing for Windows 95 gaming. Those Vectras may not be Pentium Pro cool, but they're still very cool nonetheless. One of my favorite systems in my collection has a Pentium 133: My AT&T Globalyst 620.

Also, something else I find odd about the GXpro: It's the only OptiPlex system from the 90s series that doesn't have integrated video. That makes it even less like an OptiPlex and more like a workstation. I suppose that's what makes it so desirable, aside from what it has: It's an oddball among oddballs.

I find it bizarre that Dell made the Dimension XPS-Pro###, the PowerEdge 2100/4100/6100, and your OptiPlex series all with Pentium Pro's, but jumped straight from 486 to Pentium II for their Precision line. The Pentium I can somewhat understand (although it's also a great workstation CPU in its own right, with the Vectra XU 5/90C preceding mine as the perfect example), but the Pentium Pro? Precision the one product line aside from their servers that one would expect to find such a CPU, rather than within an enthusiast home or regular office system.

Reply 9 of 10, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
reodraca wrote on 2023-04-10, 04:39:

One of these days, I'll get my hands on a ZX6000 for Itanium 2

Wow, a post about Itanium ! I don't recall seeing one in recent time. What would to do with it if you get one?

I can't remember exactly when I got mine, I installed 2008 R2 server on 2009-08-20 and think I had it a while before that. I don't use it much, but boot it up once in a while to check the native Itanium SIV64I.exe runs OK and it's about all.

Reply 10 of 10, by reodraca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2023-04-10, 22:02:
reodraca wrote on 2023-04-10, 04:39:

One of these days, I'll get my hands on a ZX6000 for Itanium 2

Wow, a post about Itanium ! I don't recall seeing one in recent time. What would to do with it if you get one?

I can't remember exactly when I got mine, I installed 2008 R2 server on 2009-08-20 and think I had it a while before that. I don't use it much, but boot it up once in a while to check the native Itanium SIV64I.exe runs OK and it's about all.

If I got my hands on one, I'd install whatever operating system came with it, as well as programs it was designed to excel at. An interactive museum piece, so to speak. That's what I do with my whole collection. If anyone's curious, I show them what a certain system could do with something from its day, like with my Vectra XU 6/200: Mid-90s video editing or various Adobe programs, or any other period-correct programs that take full advantage of a fully decked out $6,800 workstation from 1996 (price is a rough estimate, since HP offered this system with 2 Pentium Pro's, a 4.3 GB hard drive, and 64 MB of RAM for $6,400, yet mine has 96 MB and a 9.1GB 10k drive).

The Itanium series will always be Intel's first 64-bit processor that actually gained a bit of market share for a short time (through HP's involvement and adoption of it, I bet), so it would be fun to have such a system for historical purposes.