VOGONS

Boards with cool graphics on them.

Topic actions

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Decided to make a post about boards that have cool graphics / embossing on them as I have run across such things every once in a while.

I ended up with some Intellix security camera systems and the PCI capture cards in them were obviously embossed to commemorate the people that worked on the project.

whole_card.jpg
Filename
whole_card.jpg
File size
323.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
biker_and_surfer.jpg
Filename
biker_and_surfer.jpg
File size
38.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
biker.jpg
Filename
biker.jpg
File size
12.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Surfer.jpg
Filename
Surfer.jpg
File size
19.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Skunk.jpg
Filename
Skunk.jpg
File size
83.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Continuing - these are all of different locations on the boards.

Skunk2.jpg
Filename
Skunk2.jpg
File size
57.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Skunk3.jpg
Filename
Skunk3.jpg
File size
97.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Names.jpg
Filename
Names.jpg
File size
800.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Names2.jpg
Filename
Names2.jpg
File size
245.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 32, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for making this thread! I've been wanting to make one like this for a while.

Those cards you posted definitely have some cool printing on them! I have to wonder what the significance of the skunk is though... 🤣

... I had a board a while back that had pictures scattered all over it like that. I remember it had a castle\tower and some other odd things on it. I think it may have been a brown Compaq board or something, but I could be wrong. I don't believe I have it anymore.

I will post some pics of the ones I do have when I get time, since I tend to hang on to cards with interesting printing on them too. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 32, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool thread! I have to check my collections but first thing that comes to my mind is:
Terratec DMX Fire:

fire.jpg
Filename
fire.jpg
File size
109.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 32, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have the board near me at the moment, but there is a Compaq EISA server mainboard with a tennis racket, labelled "Wayne's World". I can't find a pure PCB photo on the Internet at the moment, but https://imgur.com/a/B9pAjzH (taken from Compaq Prosignia 3080 / 486DX33) shows the art nicely.

Reply 5 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/index.html

^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 32, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-10, 14:37:

That stuff is SO COOL. I would love to have the ability to see things like that on chips. Though, I would imagine that it is completely destructive on nearly any chip that I would ever come across. If it was possible to see this stuff through the casing of a chip I would probably look at every one I could get my hands on.

For some reason I just find it amazing to think that some aspect of someone's personality and creativity could be forever etched into a tiny chip that 99.99999999% of people will never see, and it could be the only place it exists in the world, and it could be sitting in a box of old modems or something that is destined for a scrap lot.

... it's probably best that I don't have a way to see this stuff, or I'd have yet another weird reason to collect things that are mostly useless. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 32, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaq Presario 425 mobo. Happened to snap this one last week.

Screenshot_20230412-133202.png
Filename
Screenshot_20230412-133202.png
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 10 of 32, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-04-12, 03:03:
That stuff is SO COOL. I would love to have the ability to see things like that on chips. Though, I would imagine that it is com […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-10, 14:37:

That stuff is SO COOL. I would love to have the ability to see things like that on chips. Though, I would imagine that it is completely destructive on nearly any chip that I would ever come across. If it was possible to see this stuff through the casing of a chip I would probably look at every one I could get my hands on.

For some reason I just find it amazing to think that some aspect of someone's personality and creativity could be forever etched into a tiny chip that 99.99999999% of people will never see, and it could be the only place it exists in the world, and it could be sitting in a box of old modems or something that is destined for a scrap lot.

... it's probably best that I don't have a way to see this stuff, or I'd have yet another weird reason to collect things that are mostly useless. 🤣

There's a video from CPU Galaxy on the CPU-art topic. And I think he shows some more examples in other videos

Reply 11 of 32, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Compaq grapics:

DSCF8970.jpg
Filename
DSCF8970.jpg
File size
542.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Compaq Deskpro 486 power board.

DSCF8955.jpg
Filename
DSCF8955.jpg
File size
520.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Compaq Presario 486SX mainboard.

Reply 12 of 32, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaqs have such cool artwork on them 😀 I seem to recall the original Deskpro 386 has the Enterprise on the silkscreen?

I didn't think IBM did interesting silkscreen but this IBM motherboard that might be from a PS/1 (very similar to the one Epictronics fixed up recently) has Card Sharks:

cardsharks1.jpg
Filename
cardsharks1.jpg
File size
390.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cardsharks2.jpg
Filename
cardsharks2.jpg
File size
416.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 14 of 32, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found this one on the back of a Netgear GA311 that I got with a system.

Netgear_GA311.jpg
Filename
Netgear_GA311.jpg
File size
161.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The image is even on the backplate of the card. Thinking about it, it's strange that this isn't done more often.

Netgear_GA311_Backplate.jpg
Filename
Netgear_GA311_Backplate.jpg
File size
82.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Edit: while putting the card in my 'misc-cards box' another Netgear-adapter (WPN311) jumped at me. Apparently they put the image on many of them. And it's on the backplate as well.

Netgear_WPN311.jpg
Filename
Netgear_WPN311.jpg
File size
173.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16 of 32, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The McOtto E-Wave waveblaster module by Serdaco is not exactly old but it has great art. I also like the Turtle Beach inspired logo for the Yucatan reproduction card.

Attachments

• 1982005920.png
    Filename
    1982005920.png
    File size
    722.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1880158890.png
    Filename
    1880158890.png
    File size
    963.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 32, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They were quite conservative. The boards were most probably designed by quite a small team, and those proud of their work could have left their mark there. Amiga team had their signatures on the case like artists.

Reply 19 of 32, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Presario 425/433 came to mind as well here, with that funny little cyclops. In my case he's staring at an empty space hehe.

Another Compaq board is this one, the 258125-001. Not in possession anymore, but nice for all USA fans I guess.
Also noticable is that the DIMM slots have a skewed design.

Attachments

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856