VOGONS

List of VLB IDE Controllers

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 253, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the same Eastern (I want to say Chinese?) text repeated a few times. Definitely not an archive file of any kind. I opened it in Notepad to check.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 121 of 253, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2023-05-15, 17:18:

Can anyone help me get this file? The zip file seems corrupt when I download it. Is there something I need to do to get it to download correctly or is there a mirror of this section of dreamland BBS?

https://web.archive.org/web/20140815164600/ht … trol/index.html

ts8310.zip - TS-8310 VESA/PCI IDE DRIVER TANS CO.,LTD. SUBJECT : These drivers is designed for TANS VESA/PCI IDE Chip TS8310 to improve IDE I/O data transfer rate between IDE Hard Drive and computer system. And also including the third (and fourth) hard disk driver for secondary IDE channel .

Tried the archive link. it is indeed no zip file.
there seems to be a 7KB file available with the same name on the german classic computing forum, though you need an account to access the file.
https://forum.classic-computing.de/forum/inde … 6069#post226069

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 122 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that link. I grabbed that file and it was a 32KB ROM for the card, so kind of nice to have, yes.

After poking around, I was able to find that the DOS driver also used to be here: ftp://213.126.141.188/drivers/control/

Still haven't managed to get it yet.

Reply 123 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to collect some notes about the companies that made the chips.

Reply 124 of 253, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another strange beast here, which seems to be an earlier VLB IDE and multi-IO controller (pictures at the bottom)
There is no name on it, just a "ML-863 P103" and "MADE IN TAIWAN" silkscreened on the frontside.
Stason.org lists it under https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … ves-ML-863.html

What I found out so far (which is actually not much):
There is in general not much reference to the "MERVIN CT9000" chip around. I found a manual for a controller CL-9028Z, which seems to use this chip
I saw a post of a user named Artex here in the forum here, showing a "CL-9028Z P104" in his build. Indeed it seems to use the CT9000 chip, but the photo is a bit fuzzy.
The "P104" in the name of the card makes me wonder if it might be a successor of my card ("P103").

Currently I am hunting the very elusive driver called "ct9000.sys". I have only seen three references to it so far (the manual of the CL-9028Z, a guy in a google group searching for an OS/2 driver for that chip and a photo on an italian selling platform showing a screen of the hdd content with this file).

Frontside - total (sorry for the cables):

VLB Controller Frontside - total (with cables).jpg
Filename
VLB Controller Frontside - total (with cables).jpg
File size
310.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Frontside - IO Chips:

VLB Controller Frontside - IO Chips.jpg
Filename
VLB Controller Frontside - IO Chips.jpg
File size
330.39 KiB
Views
File license

Frontside - IDE Chip:

VLB Controller Frontside - IDE Chip.jpg
Filename
VLB Controller Frontside - IDE Chip.jpg
File size
274.55 KiB
Views
File license

Backside:

VLB Controller Backside.jpg
Filename
VLB Controller Backside.jpg
File size
237.83 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 125 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skorbin wrote on 2023-05-26, 07:52:
There is in general not much reference to the "MERVIN CT9000" chip around. I found a manual for a controller CL-9028Z, which see […]
Show full quote

There is in general not much reference to the "MERVIN CT9000" chip around. I found a manual for a controller CL-9028Z, which seems to use this chip
I saw a post of a user named Artex here in the forum here, showing a "CL-9028Z P104" in his build. Indeed it seems to use the CT9000 chip, but the photo is a bit fuzzy.
The "P104" in the name of the card makes me wonder if it might be a successor of my card ("P103").

Currently I am hunting the very elusive driver called "ct9000.sys". I have only seen three references to it so far (the manual of the CL-9028Z, a guy in a google group searching for an OS/2 driver for that chip and a photo on an italian selling platform showing a screen of the hdd content with this file).

Very cool. I'll add it to my list. Too bad there's no FCCID on that board. That often helps track things down.

I see what you mean about ct9000.sys. That driver is not in any of the usual places. At least the jumpers are labeled on the board.

It looks like it might be one of the earlier generation of IDE controllers because of the '93 date on the chip and because it only has one IDE port.

Reply 126 of 253, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some schematics in my old post about modifying MIO VLB IDE card model TK8237 chipset UMC UM8672F.
I suppose it's useful to save it in a topic related to VLB IDE controllers.

Spoiler
Roman555 wrote on 2018-10-14, 17:19:

I've modified my MIO VLB card model TK8237 chipset UMC UM8672F.
The IDE VESA controller didn't work properly with my 3.3V CPUs AMD Am486DX4-100 and Am5x86-P75. It just detected a hard drive (volume and geometry) but MS-DOS wasn't booted (the system hung). Altough it maybe could work with 5V 486 CPUs I haven't got such models. In Internet I saw photographs of the same controller but with a factory mod. So I decided to reproduce. The mod has really helped!
The mod is easy - just 3 scratches and 2 diodes 1N4148 (DIP). The scratches have been done with dremel. They prevent 5V power supply to direct into the chip. The diodes drop voltage to 4.4V.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 127 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some more drivers & bios loaded. Some turned out to be PCI on review.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=56,55

I think these two are PCI, but the files are kind of vague:

• CMD PCI-0640B v2.09
  • CMD PCI-0640B v4.04

Seems like the even numbered DTC chips were PCI:

• DTC 802 BusMaster v1.0e

Looks like SIIG might have had special "VG4" drivers for their Promise 20630 implementation:

• Promise VG4 v2.6
  • Promise VG4 v3.3

Curious that Quantum came out with DOS drivers for their products. Probably intended for ISA cards.

• Quantum IDE Hard Disk Device Driver v2.01

This looks like the bios to have if you have a TANS card:

• TANS Enhanced IDE Bios >8.4GB v2.10

Reply 128 of 253, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2023-06-02, 12:31:
  • TANS Enhanced IDE Bios >8.4GB v2.10

There also is a TANS 8-bit ISA card that just contains a BIOS like that, without having any IDE ports. It still has a TANS chip that seems to have enough pins to be a IDE interface chip, but it doesn't have any IDE connector or the required traces routed. See the attached pictures and the ROM dump of my card ("TANS Enhance IDE driver v2.00"), likely the predecessor of the v2.10 BIOS. This BIOS does not yet contain an implementation of the "enhanced disk drive specification", so it is limited to 8.4GB. The ">8.4GB" seems to be the signature feature of the version 2.10.

TANS_IDE_front.jpg
Filename
TANS_IDE_front.jpg
File size
207.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
TANS_IDE_back.jpg
Filename
TANS_IDE_back.jpg
File size
200.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Filename
    tans-ide.zip
    File size
    5.96 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license

Reply 129 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-06-06, 19:07:

There also is a TANS 8-bit ISA card that just contains a BIOS like that, without having any IDE ports. It still has a TANS chip that seems to have enough pins to be a IDE interface chip, but it doesn't have any IDE connector or the required traces routed. See the attached pictures and the ROM dump of my card ("TANS Enhance IDE driver v2.00"), likely the predecessor of the v2.10 BIOS. This BIOS does not yet contain an implementation of the "enhanced disk drive specification", so it is limited to 8.4GB. The ">8.4GB" seems to be the signature feature of the version 2.10.

I'll get that BIOS uploaded next week. I'll also get the bios uploaded from this guy:

Photo Jun 07 2023, 7 52 27 AM.jpg
Filename
File size
122.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's pretty good at identifying drives at boot time, defaults to CHS gracefully on drives that don't support LBA and does LBA28 on drives that do. It's pleasant to use. The LBA part is from 1998. It also has a Y2K patch that is dated 1999. So I got that going for me too.

Last edited by douglar on 2023-06-08, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 130 of 253, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-06-08, 02:29:
I'll also get the bios uploaded from this guy: Photo Jun 07 2023, 7 52 27 AM.jpg […]
Show full quote
mkarcher wrote on 2023-06-06, 19:07:

I'll also get the bios uploaded from this guy:

It's pretty good at identifying drives at boot time, defaults to CHS gracefully on drives that don't support LBA and does LBA28 on drives that do. It's pleasant to use. The LBA part is from 1998. It also has a Y2K patch that is dated 1999. Do I got that going for me too.

Sounds like a useful option ROM for older setups. I might have to disassemble it and study the code when you upload it 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 131 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2023-06-08, 02:56:

Sounds like a useful option ROM for older setups. I might have to disassemble it and study the code when you upload it 😀

Looks like v1.3 was posted here a few years back: DTC1181 BiOS Adapter 1998 Pre XTIDE Adapter Info and Rom

I uploaded that here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=2087

The DTC 20a drivers were already uploaded

Reply 132 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I got a lot of drivers uploaded here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=56,55

Does anyone have any input on which drivers work best or are easiest to use?

For example, I've learned that the v1.5 Lion 3+ driver:

1. is 2x faster than nothing, but there seems to be an upper bound on real throughput between 6-7MB/s (so PIO 2?)
  2. large storage devices work, but are capped at 528 MB because the driver has the "Original CHS Limit"
  3. EZ drive v9.0.9 with 32bit access enabled gives comparable performance to this driver and works with LBA28 drives (Up to 138GB)

Reply 133 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Promise 3.3 drivers seem to work over all Promise 20230 and Promise 20630 controllers, regardless of the vendor.

The main difference is that Promise 20230 controllers only work with the /D# switch (aka PIO) . There are /DA and /M# modes as well (PIO /w ioready and DMA), but those only work with the Promise 20630 controllers, and the success there can be drive dependent.

My experience so far is that a decent storage device on the promise controllers gets about 2.7MB/s without a driver, can get a little better than 6MB/s with "/D8", the fastest PIO, and gets the same with "/DA", PIO with IOREADY, but the same device can get close to 12MB/s with "/M8", the fastest DMA. So that's a significant synthetic boost. I'll do real world tests later.

The "Promise EIDE2300 Drivers v3.3" package comes with a tool to help you identify the fastest settings for your storage device.

Curiously, I have an msata drive on a pata sled that gets about 7.5MB/s with /D8 (fastest PIO) on Promise 20230 controllers, but the system gets unhappy if I attach it via to a Promise 20630 controller. I can get it to post if I remove it from the MR-BIOS drive table and attach the DTC LBA bios, but the drive isn't usable. Running into compatibility issues in many places. I need to get disciplined about documenting them and documenting the remediation steps if I find any. I've had issues with some CFs, some SD's, some old legacy drives, and with Msata devices.

Reply 134 of 253, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent a moment today with an ADD2 based VLB IDE controller - the one posted above.
Performance is suspiciously low, with or without driver - around 2500Kb in Coretest.
Can somebody confirm what they see on their side ?

I don't think the driver does anything.
It says it loads successfully, but with or without it performance is the same.
Varying its parameters also results in no change.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 135 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2023-06-16, 23:38:

Spent a moment today with an ADD2 based VLB IDE controller - the one posted above.
Performance is suspiciously low, with or without driver - around 2500Kb in Coretest.

What storage device are you using? Some of the VLB device drivers contain a list of legacy devices that it always runs at slower speeds. You can usually see them if you open the device driver in a text editor. Also, some newer storage devices seem to fall back all the way back to PIO if they can’t do UDMA. Maybe one of those two things is occurring.

2.5 MB/s sounds like you are not even getting 32bit transfers. Is that something you can enable in the BIOS? You could also try installing EZ drive 9.09 and then enable 32bit transfers in the EZ setup.

Reply 136 of 253, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am using CF cards that work just fine with other controllers in the same class.
They can churn up to 10-15mb/s for example.
Transcend, Sandisk models.

Testing on the same machine that can do the mentioned transfer rates with other controllers.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 137 of 253, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-06-17, 14:55:
pshipkov wrote on 2023-06-16, 23:38:

What storage device are you using? Some of the VLB device drivers contain a list of legacy devices that it always runs at slower speeds. You can usually see them if you open the device driver in a text editor. Also, some newer storage devices seem to fall back all the way back to PIO if they can’t do UDMA. Maybe one of those two things is occurring.

2.5 MB/s sounds like you are not even getting 32bit transfers. Is that something you can enable in the BIOS? You could also try installing EZ drive 9.09 and then enable 32bit transfers in the EZ setup.

You remind me that it might not affect pshipkov's card but it's worth mentioning somewhere on this thread, that there were some combo VLB IDE+VGA cards where only the VGA part is VLB and the IDE part is ISA.

Reply 138 of 253, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-17, 19:13:

You remind me that it might not affect pshipkov's card but it's worth mentioning somewhere on this thread, that there were some combo VLB IDE+VGA cards where only the VGA part is VLB and the IDE part is ISA.

Very true. There are also a good percentage of the early VLB IO controllers with two IDE connectors run the secondary IDE port off the ISA bus.

My experience is that an 8mhz ISA usually peaks at about 1.5 MB/s to 1.8MB/s. You could get close to 2.5MB/s with 12mhz overclock.

Are there ISA cards that benefit from 32bit transfers?

Reply 139 of 253, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32bit transfers are for the CPU side, since it reduces overhead in several ways. There are less instructions and smaller gaps between the data accesses which will improve performance even if the target device is 8 or 16bit.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜