VOGONS

First post, by MarkClarke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon, I just have a question about an old Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 sound card [rev. D] I'm using for my 486. I read online that it is possible to use a different Voyetra OPL-3 driver for Windows MIDI playback other than the one provided by mediavision themselves (SAPI!OPL.DRV is the driver in question that i'd like to use). However, I am having issues getting the 3rd party driver to work under windows 3.1, I just can't get the driver to appear under the midi mapper or under "drivers" whatsoever. I followed a guide that recommended copying the files manually & editing configuration files yourself. The reason I'd like to change drivers is so that I can enable midi playback using the OPL-3's 2 operator mode as opposed to it's OPM-like 4 operator mode, which it's currently stuck using under 3.1.

I have tried the compatible FM synth driver as well. It does work and it is recognized under 3.1, however the drum/percussion channel is incredibly quiet. For the record, the card doesn't appear to have any audible defects, and the Ad-lib compatibility works great under MS-DOS; sounds exactly like an OPL.

I am very new to MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, so the solution could be incredibly obvious and I may be overlooking something rather trivial. Any help would be greatly appreciated but I fully understand that you're kinda on your own to support yourself with this old sh*t. I'll continue to try my own solutions in my own time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh PAS-16 Rev D is a good card for older systems. So which other driver are you trying and a link to where it said it worked please ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by MarkClarke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-19, 00:08:

Ahh PAS-16 Rev D is a good card for older systems. So which other driver are you trying and a link to where it said it worked please ?

I downloaded them from this page https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/mediavision.php specifically the link where it states "Click here for a large archive of PAS-related stuff. " I am attempting to install the SAPI!OPL.DRV driver provided with this archive using the PASDSA.ARJ image to replace the default OPL3.drv which ships with the card.

I should clarify, I do not have access to the exact sources for the drivers provided in the following document, as it appears to be an ancient post online related to configuring this card with different midi drivers. I just assumed that it would apply to my card as well, of course I blindly assumed that hahah. I was however able to find the exact disk image this document specifies through that previously mentioned archive.

http://cd.textfiles.com/audio11000/MSDOS/SNDB … 13/MIDI-DRV.TXT

I believe I discovered this guide through another Vogons post as well. I am 1000% open to suggestions for alternate drivers which may be more suitable for the card.