VOGONS

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I was using this great program that would copy downloaded floppy disk images to disk. It was super easy to use and worked like a charm but I formatted my laptop and cant remember the name of the software. I think it had a penguin for an icon? Anyone know of it or a good program that does this?

Reply 1 of 10, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-04-20, 17:20:

Hi all, I was using this great program that would copy downloaded floppy disk images to disk. It was super easy to use and worked like a charm but I formatted my laptop and cant remember the name of the software. I think it had a penguin for an icon? Anyone know of it or a good program that does this?

I generally use WinImage.

Reply 3 of 10, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-04-20, 17:37:

I generally use WinImage.

Thanks, I ll try that .

Reply 4 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote on 2023-04-20, 17:50:

Wasn't Winimage the one that replaced boot sectors?

Any good imaging software copies all data, including the boot sector. It's part of the disc. They might give a choice not to, but by default I fail to see why they wouldn't.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinImage does write its own stuff into the boot sector, so the image you get is not 100% exact. Not sure if you can disable this "feature" as I haven't used it in a long time.

I highly recommend M. Brutman's DskImage. It's a very simple tool, but you can use it even on an 8088 and will produce a raw image without any unnecessary fluff.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2023-04-20, 21:16:

WinImage does write its own stuff into the boot sector, so the image you get is not 100% exact. Not sure if you can disable this "feature" as I haven't used it in a long time.

I heard about this a couple of time and I'm all ears, however, whenever I tried to confirm that, I failed.
The floppy image created by WinImage and a Freeware floppy imager was the same each time.
How is it possible to force this "feature" to occur?

Edit: Could it be that WinImage changes the boot sector if you create a blank image in WinImage?
Ie, when selecting 1,44 MB diskette format, then use drag&drop to insert files?
That would make sense, that there's a custom boot sector. In the DOS days, quite a few diskettes had displayed a
custom boot text if being booted from (disk was accidentally left in A: drive during boot).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite
^
penguin icon

Reply 8 of 10, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:02:
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite ^ penguin icon […]
Show full quote

^
penguin icon

Thats the one! Thanks! I tried WinWrite and it doesnt work. So thanks!

Reply 9 of 10, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Law212 wrote on 2023-04-21, 13:46:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:02:
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite ^ penguin icon […]
Show full quote

^
penguin icon

Thats the one! Thanks! I tried WinWrite and it doesnt work. So thanks!

It worked right away just as I remember. Thanks again!