VOGONS

First post, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick question - is there any better way to better test SRAM besides a basic Xgpro SRAM test? Is there any way to write and read back X number of bits to verify that the chip is the appropriate size and functions 100%, similar to memtest verifying system RAM? Test stable cache speed?

Or is the attached all we have to go off of to find obviously-bad SRAM? Just verifying things are physically good before pushing cache to the limit in a full system build?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Good1.png
    Filename
    Good1.png
    File size
    13.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Bad2.png
    Filename
    Bad2.png
    File size
    8.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Bad1.png
    Filename
    Bad1.png
    File size
    8.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

eprom programmers are cheap and convenient, but dont test at appropriate speed, and as you noticed they provide black box pass/fail result without revealing internal methodology.
ideally you would have FPGA based test rig with programmable patterns, speed, pin driving strengths etc

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 3, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-04-23, 15:52:

eprom programmers are cheap and convenient, but dont test at appropriate speed, and as you noticed they provide black box pass/fail result without revealing internal methodology.
ideally you would have FPGA based test rig with programmable patterns, speed, pin driving strengths etc

Alternatively, is there a good DOS way to test cache itself/verify integrity when set to different fsb speeds and BIOS settings? Just push the system and look for crashes?

I don't know how one can effectively test L2 cache/verify everything is good in a built system.

Reply 3 of 3, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

me neither 🙁 I dont even know what would show flaw faster/better, a cache friendly code or one that doesnt fit in cache easily? I know original Quake is not really cache friendly, at least the SRAM cache can even slow it down https://dependency-injection.com/intel-430fx- … riton-l2-cache/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction