VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be noted that Ultima VII is the exception, not the norm, when it comes to CPU slowdown functionality.

Generally, DOS games won't know or care if L1 cache is turned off, and will simply run slower (which is desired) when this is the case.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 41 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally, the issue I am most likely to encounter is that my DOS retro PC is in my parents' house, moreover - in my sister's room, and she is now between apartments, so a lot of her stuff moves back in with my parents temporarily, making the desk and the PC almost inaccessible. 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 42 of 43, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-04-28, 06:00:

It should be noted that Ultima VII is the exception, not the norm, when it comes to CPU slowdown functionality.

Generally, DOS games won't know or care if L1 cache is turned off, and will simply run slower (which is desired) when this is the case.

That was my point - there are a number of notorious corner cases (like U7) which need very specific hardware, but the vast majority of games either don't give a hoot or can easily be made to run with software or minor settings tweaks. We have a tendency to jump deep down whatever rabbit holes there are when someone asks for some quite simple advice. Yes, the rabbit holes are there, but you don't have to jump down them and in many cases you won't even notice their existence.

Reply 43 of 43, by Dodobird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have yet to discover the ideal, all-encompassing configuration/system that caters to the diverse eras of DOS gaming. To accommodate the early, mid, and late gaming periods, I resorted to utilizing multiple computers. However, this approach demanded a significant amount of space, which I no longer have in my compact new apartment. Consequently, I had to part with my cumbersome towers and seek space-efficient alternatives. To my pleasant surprise, I stumbled upon several laptop models that can suite my DOS gaming requirements (and even run those ultra CPU sensitive games like Ultima VII, Wing Commander, TD3 at playable speed). Additionally, with the escalating prices of desktop spare parts, these laptops suddenly appear as fantastic bargains.
I'm documenting and sharing my findings through my new channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbg4KlX5YWc&t=11s