User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an intergraph TD1, 486 66mhz 52mb ram desktop PC
Built in Adaptec AIC-7770 Scsi controler
Built in AMD PCNet/Lance NIC
SoundBlaster ct2940

I am running into nothing but issues getting sound and networking to work

A long time ago i did have networking when it was running slackware 9.1 (detected under the Lance driver), but i dont remember having sound

I however have moved from using an IDE hard disk to a BlueSCSI SD adapter.

For some reason almost all linux 2.4 kernels seem to fail to detected the scsi card (Slackware 9.1, DSL, BasicLinux)

I was able to get Redhat 5.2 on kernel 2.0 to detect and install on the scsi drive although, i cant get sound to detect and although i can get the NIC to detect by passing io=0x360 to modprobe, it doesnt seem to pass traffic when i enable the interface, also shows alot of dropped received packets

When it detects with modprobe it lists it at IRQ5 and DMA5, which makes me wonder if its conflicting with the soundcard (in DOS it only gives option to set card to IRQ5)

As far as DOS is concerned, it detects the soundcard fine, although in windows 3.11 and windows 98 it seems to lock up when playing sounds further making me wonder if there is a conflict, and windows 3.11 seems to not be able to initialize the NIC after installing the sound card drivers

NT4 does the same thing as linux, it detects the NIC but cant pass traffic, it also is unable to add the sound card as it says their is a conflict

Not sure what to do at this point, in reality i would like to get a newer linux installed (maybe 2.6 or 3.0 kernel) but almost no distros will boot on a machine with this little ram, i would go with 2.4 kernel but as stated it appears to not like my scsi card

Otherwise im wondering if i should just get an ISA network card that hopefully doesnt conflict with the sound card, as finding a cheap sound card that can be configured by jumpers is not easy.

Also note this system is EISA however i cannot find the config utility for it nor the EISA config files for the board. Which might be another reason im having issues.

Reply 1 of 6, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then I strongly recommend to do the EISA configuration first to resolve possible resource conflits either and to configure the hardware properly too.

Reply 2 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jjjacer wrote on 2023-04-25, 07:08:
I have an intergraph TD1, 486 66mhz 52mb ram desktop PC Built in Adaptec AIC-7770 Scsi controler Built in AMD PCNet/Lance NIC So […]
Show full quote

I have an intergraph TD1, 486 66mhz 52mb ram desktop PC
Built in Adaptec AIC-7770 Scsi controler
Built in AMD PCNet/Lance NIC
SoundBlaster ct2940

I am running into nothing but issues getting sound and networking to work

A long time ago i did have networking when it was running slackware 9.1 (detected under the Lance driver), but i dont remember having sound

I however have moved from using an IDE hard disk to a BlueSCSI SD adapter.

For some reason almost all linux 2.4 kernels seem to fail to detected the scsi card (Slackware 9.1, DSL, BasicLinux)

I was able to get Redhat 5.2 on kernel 2.0 to detect and install on the scsi drive although, i cant get sound to detect and although i can get the NIC to detect by passing io=0x360 to modprobe, it doesnt seem to pass traffic when i enable the interface, also shows alot of dropped received packets

When it detects with modprobe it lists it at IRQ5 and DMA5, which makes me wonder if its conflicting with the soundcard (in DOS it only gives option to set card to IRQ5)

As far as DOS is concerned, it detects the soundcard fine, although in windows 3.11 and windows 98 it seems to lock up when playing sounds further making me wonder if there is a conflict, and windows 3.11 seems to not be able to initialize the NIC after installing the sound card drivers

NT4 does the same thing as linux, it detects the NIC but cant pass traffic, it also is unable to add the sound card as it says their is a conflict

Not sure what to do at this point, in reality i would like to get a newer linux installed (maybe 2.6 or 3.0 kernel) but almost no distros will boot on a machine with this little ram, i would go with 2.4 kernel but as stated it appears to not like my scsi card

Otherwise im wondering if i should just get an ISA network card that hopefully doesnt conflict with the sound card, as finding a cheap sound card that can be configured by jumpers is not easy.

Also note this system is EISA however i cannot find the config utility for it nor the EISA config files for the board. Which Tmight be another reason im having issues.

Looks like you've already checked with mR_Slug for all things EISA, but with no joy 🙁 - don't suppose you know the EISA config file names by any chance?

Had a quick rummage on wayback for the same but nothing as yet (will try harder later 😀 ) - did dig you up the TD-1 Hardware User's Guide if thats any help meantime (it's self-extracting to a series of chapter files in MS Word)

Filename
dha000860.exe
File size
2.8 MiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

**EDIT** - from the user guide, looks as if it uses the v2.00 AMI EISA config util - should be easy enough to scare that up online!

Reply 3 of 6, by jjjacer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-04-25, 11:52:
Looks like you've already checked with mR_Slug for all things EISA, but with no joy :( - don't suppose you know the EISA confi […]
Show full quote

Looks like you've already checked with mR_Slug for all things EISA, but with no joy 🙁 - don't suppose you know the EISA config file names by any chance?

Had a quick rummage on wayback for the same but nothing as yet (will try harder later 😀 ) - did dig you up the TD-1 Hardware User's Guide if thats any help meantime (it's self-extracting to a series of chapter files in MS Word)

dha000860.exe

**EDIT** - from the user guide, looks as if it uses the v2.00 AMI EISA config util - should be easy enough to scare that up online!

thank you for that file, it at least confirms all the default IO/IRQ/DMA of all the built in devices. Hopefully ill be able to find that config utility and the config files. but this is a start, at least in dos i might be able to change the IRQ of the soundblaster, not sure how to do it in NT4 and linux

Reply 4 of 6, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jjjacer wrote on 2023-04-25, 13:09:

.. not sure how to do it in NT4 and linux

EISA DOS ICU Utilities store their values in NVRAM, and good behaved BIOSes take them from there next boot. So, once you change them in DOS, them will be available for NT4 and Linux (on NT4 you will need to install the ISAPnP Driver bundled in the OS install CD to make use of the NVRAM ICU data although).

Also, in extreme cases you can always use DOS version of Grub4DOS to chainload NT NTLDR or boot Linux. Don't load any Memory managers, just the DOS EISA ICU with the Initialization Only flag, and then immediately execute Grub4DOS. Hardware started this way should be available to both NT or Linux.

Reply 5 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jjjacer wrote on 2023-04-25, 13:09:
Looks like you've already checked with mR_Slug for all things EISA, but with no joy :( - don't suppose you know the EISA confi […]
Show full quote

dha000860.exe

thank you for that file, it at least confirms all the default IO/IRQ/DMA of all the built in devices. Hopefully ill be able to find that config utility and the config files. but this is a start, at least in dos i might be able to change the IRQ of the soundblaster, not sure how to do it in NT4 and linux

OK, that was a bit easier than I expected...tracked down the EISA config utility and the config files on a wayback archive of the old Intergraph BBS (IBBS) - you can find what you need in the file BOOTUTIL.ZIP in any of the following 3 links -

- DOS/Windows https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165906/ht … es/ssddrvfa.htm

- NT3.1 https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165253/ht … es/ssddrvaa.htm

- NT3.5x https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165416/ht … es/ssddrvba.htm

there's also a Windows 95 link here https://web.archive.org/web/19980129170051/ht … es/ssddrvga.htm

If you want to browse the whole IBBS, start here https://web.archive.org/web/19980109140033/ht … bs/ibbsfile.htm

Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2023-04-26, 09:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by jjjacer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OK, that was a bit easier than I expected...tracked down the EISA config utility and the config files on a wayback archive of th […]
Show full quote

OK, that was a bit easier than I expected...tracked down the EISA config utility and the config files on a wayback archive of the old Intergrah BBS (IBBS) - you can find what you need in the file BOOTUTIL.ZIP in any of the following 3 links -

- DOS/Windows https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165906/ht … es/ssddrvfa.htm

- NT3.1 https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165253/ht … es/ssddrvaa.htm

- NT3.5x https://web.archive.org/web/19980129165416/ht … es/ssddrvba.htm

there's also a Windows 95 link here https://web.archive.org/web/19980129170051/ht … es/ssddrvga.htm

If you want to browse the whole IBBS, start here https://web.archive.org/web/19980109140033/ht … bs/ibbsfile.htm

Wow thank you, the EISA config tool did work, all be it not giving any errors, wouldnt let me change the IRQ but it at least confirmed the currently used irq and ports, but i was able to change the soundblaster IRQ using the Unisound driver in dos, which once changed it allowed networking to work in linux and nt4,

Now if only i can get a newer linux to work, but thats a challenge for another time as im betting ill have to compile my own kernel to get what i want. at least with the manuals and the software it will reduce the time it takes to figure this oddball machine out, i tried looking on the internet archives before but never came across the IBBS.

Now this PC will be a later project and i can work on getting high density drives to work on an old compaq portable (got the isa floppy controller that supports high density drives, just got to get the address configured right as the rom isnt loading correctly) but that should be an easy fix.