VOGONS

First post, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,
During PC Gaming years, I mostly used SB1-2-PRO boards, that's what I had access during that time. Recently I've acquired some boards like ES1868 and a Audician 32 Plus (2 of each, models are different brand/make).

The ES1868 works on everything I've tried so far. The Audician 32 Plus fails on some games. The 2 games with issues: X-Wing 1993 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis CD Version

My setup - Asus P2-99 MB (Intel ZX), P3 600MHZ Slot 1, 256MB, GF4 Mx4000, Audician 32 Plus on default A220 IRQ5 DMA 1 (and resources reserved on BIOS setup), etc ..

I don't get any music or voices/fx when choosing SBPro or SB on X-Wing. I can only get music if choosing Adlib. On Tie Fighter 1994, it works perfectly as SBPro, with FM and voices.

I've tried initializing the card with the SETUPSA v2.20, UNISOUND 0.8 and SETYMF - no difference in the result. EMS386 has provided also plenty of memory.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (standard) works, but the CD version doesn't - it freezes on load (I got it working 2-3 times with FM only, no voices - but it was random. Exiting to DOS and loading it again didn't work).

Worth mentioning that the ES1868 cards work perfectly on both games, using the same initialization through UNISOUND or the specific ES1868 DOS files. I've tried also setting up as IRQ 7, no changes.

I've tried looking into the forums here and also some external reviews - Dosdays.co.uk reviewed the card recently (Jan2023) and posted X-Wing audio sample there, setup as SB PRO, however listening to the audio (game introduction movie), I can only hear the music, not fx sounds or voices - as it was setup as Adlib. I've wrote to the author asking about this, no replies so far.

In addition to that Philscomputerlab reviewed the card a long time ago, he demonstred it on Descent setup and Doom , no mentioning of any compatibility issues with "famous" games if I recall correctly.

Most games people are using for test works on the Audician 32 Plus: Descent, Doom, Duke3d, Prince of Persia, Lemmings, etc. The fact that these games worked ensures that the card is working properly on the hardware, software and installation aspects. That it doesn't work on these 2 games, most likely is a compatibility issue. I could not find examples of it working online.

Everybody talks highly of this card, I agree it sounds terrific and performs very well. However, I don't see remarks about compatibility.

I love this card, would like it to be in my main retro PC, it sounds very good but compatibility seems to be a notch under the ES1868 - which is the card that runs 100% on my setup.

Did I miss anything? Any hints on what else I could try?
Thanks in advance, regards

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Yamaha YMF719 as well, and Fate of Atlantis (CD version) works fine on it. Both music and speech play correctly. Here are some voice recordings. However, my system is a Pentium MMX 166, which is quite a bit slower than what you're using. Try disabling the L1 cache in the BIOS of your PC and see if that helps.

Regarding X-Wing, the original 1993 floppy version (from GOG) crashes for me when digitized speech is about to play. The 1994 CD version (also from GOG) works fine.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 3, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-04-30, 15:37:

I have a Yamaha YMF719 as well, and Fate of Atlantis (CD version) works fine on it. Both music and speech play correctly. Here are some voice recordings. However, my system is a Pentium MMX 166, which is quite a bit slower than what you're using. Try disabling the L1 cache in the BIOS of your PC and see if that helps.

Regarding X-Wing, the original 1993 floppy version (from GOG) crashes for me when digitized speech is about to play. The 1994 CD version (also from GOG) works fine.

Thanks for the tip. I did that and Atlantis CD version now works. XWING loads and play FM but crashes when digitized speech is about to play, as you described. I have the GOG package as well, will try later.
Later I replaced the P3 600 with a Celeron 300A, which I put in storage back in 1999. It was an amazing CPU, it had little value when I upgraded and I decided to hold it (boxed version, I still have the box).
It works perfectly, without having to disable the L1 cache.

I never thought of slowing things down, as the ES1968 runs all games perfectly with the P3 600, including Xwing and Atlantis CD.

On the X-Wing CD, If I recall correctly, they changed the soundtrack on the XWING CD version, to play the soundtrack from the motion picture. The 1993 version ( I haven't played it for 25 years) had the sound track linked to what was happening in the game, for example enemies arriving (or allies). It was a cue to changes in the battle. I enjoyed it a lot and the CD version is more refined, but it lacks that.

Thanks a lot, that was an important lessons learned and I will keep that in mind when troubleshooting things.

Reply 3 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aladim wrote on 2023-05-01, 16:05:

I never thought of slowing things down, as the ES1968 runs all games perfectly with the P3 600, including Xwing and Atlantis CD.

Yeah, some sound cards behave differently than others when it comes to speed issues. You might want to take a look at the list of speed sensitive games on the Vogons wiki, in case you end up playing some of the other ones mentioned there.

On the X-Wing CD, If I recall correctly, they changed the soundtrack on the XWING CD version, to play the soundtrack from the motion picture. The 1993 version ( I haven't played it for 25 years) had the sound track linked to what was happening in the game, for example enemies arriving (or allies). It was a cue to changes in the battle. I enjoyed it a lot and the CD version is more refined, but it lacks that.

I'm not too familiar with X-Wing, but I do remember reading something similar in a different thread. This is probably why the floppy version is better liked by retro gamers. That said, the crash with digitized speech seems to be specific to the Yamaha YMF71x cards. The game runs fine on my AWE64 as well as on my OPTi 82C930.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi