VOGONS

Tell me I don't need a LGA1366 platform PC

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 81, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't NEED an LGA1366 system. And niether do I. Despite that, I own two of them. Same with LGA 1156.

They both make great late-era XP machines, and one advantage of such systems is dual-booting XP and windows 7/10, sort of a modern PC with a retro twist. Pair it with a 7970 GHz edition or a GTX 780ti and you got yourself a great machine for retro gaming* as well as archiving, internet access, data storage, coding, programing ICs and whatever else strike your fancy.

Reply 81 of 81, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an LGA1366 system in my vintage collection; it has 12 cores, 64 gigs of RAM, oh, and it can run MacOS X Snow Leopard (last version with PowerPC application compatibility) up to High Sierra (almost last version with 32-bit application support) and newer with an upgraded GPU and OCLP. And I am pretty sure it can run at least every version of Windows from XP to 10 and presumably unsupported 11, although I haven't actually tried...

(Yes, it's a Mac Pro... so I'm a bit cheating... but the LGA1366 Mac Pros are very interesting vintage systems with a very broad range of compatibility...)