VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there.

I'm having the attached conflicts in my system, Windows 95C. However, the device manager indicates no red/yellow marks whatsoever, but Display Adapter's "Resource Properties" there showing:

Conflicting device list:
Memory Range FD000000 - FDFFFFFF used by:
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Range F0000000 - F7FFFFFF used by:
Memory Range FCF80000 - FCFFFFFF used by:

display-adapter.jpg
Filename
display-adapter.jpg
File size
28.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Is there anything that should be done? Please see the attached images.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Memory.jpeg
    Filename
    Memory.jpeg
    File size
    97.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IRQs.jpg
    Filename
    IRQs.jpg
    File size
    96.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DMA.jpeg
    Filename
    DMA.jpeg
    File size
    69.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Conflicts.jpeg
    Filename
    Conflicts.jpeg
    File size
    86.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on my phone and can't take to good of a look now but in the tab for the graphics card unchecked "use automatic settings" and see if you can pick some that don't conflict.

Reply 2 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen this problem on a number of motherboards with GeForce/Riva cards and Windows 95.

If the post above suggestion doesn't work, other things to try:

• Disable Plug and Play (PnP) support in the BIOS. This allows the BIOS to configure devices, and Windows will use those allocations instead of assigning (or reassigning) what it thinks is best. Windows 95 being Windows 95, this option might be hit-or-miss altogether, though.
  • When I look at the photos above, I see IRQ10 is USB and 11 is VGA. Usually this is reversed. While it shouldn't matter, it's still something to check. In the BIOS, make sure the Video card is assigned an IRQ (instead of letting Windows 95 assign). Many BIOS' allow this option to be turned off, but IRQ assignment in BIOS should be enabled for Win9x in most situations and especially for Windows 95.
  • If possible and if you don't need them, Uninstall COM port1 & 2, and the Parallel port from Windows, and then disable them in the BIOS to free up resources.
  • Install the VIA 4-in-1 driver package (don't enable Turbo AGP support). v4.35 is the version you want.

Reply 3 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this causing you any problems and are you sure it isn't normal for an AGP card on Win95? I've seen it before and always chalked it up to AGP having to be slipped in to Win95 as an after the fact addon in an OSR release and therefore it's an early/rough implementation.

There is no IRQ or I/O port conflict, only memory space, so there is no need to move other devices around, and a PCI-to-PCI bridge I believe refers to the bridging between PCI and AGP anyway, so it's not necessarily even a "conflict."

Reply 4 of 6, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-02, 21:36:
[…]
Show full quote
  • Disable Plug and Play (PnP) support in the BIOS. This allows the BIOS to configure devices, and Windows will use those allocations instead of assigning (or reassigning) what it thinks is best. Windows 95 being Windows 95, this option might be hit-or-miss altogether, though.
  • If possible and if you don't need them, Uninstall COM port1 & 2, and the Parallel port from Windows, and then disable them in the BIOS to free up resources.
  • Install the VIA 4-in-1 driver package (don't enable Turbo AGP support). v4.35 is the version you want.

*Disabled Plug and Play OS in the BIOS.
*Uninstalled Com port 1&2 and the Parallel port from Windows, then disabled them in the BIOS, freed 3, 4, 5 IRQs I guess. (Screenshot attached)

IRQs-2.jpg
Filename
IRQs-2.jpg
File size
64.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

*Installed the v4.35 VIA 4-in-1 driver package, didn't enable Turbo this time (I did before).

jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-02, 21:53:

There is no IRQ or I/O port conflict, only memory space, so there is no need to move other devices around, and a PCI-to-PCI bridge I believe refers to the bridging between PCI and AGP anyway, so it's not necessarily even a "conflict."

By the way, the Display Adapter's Resources page indicates a change;
Before, it was: Memory Range FD000000 - FDFFFFFF used by: PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Now, it is: Memory Range FD000000 - FDFFFFFF used by: VIA CPU to AGP Controller
I guess this is a good thing, and installing VIA 4-in-1 driver helped that. (But the system already had VIA Apollo 133 Chipset drivers installed, from IBM)

display-adapter.jpg
Filename
display-adapter.jpg
File size
28.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-02, 21:36:
  • When I look at the photos above, I see IRQ10 is USB and 11 is VGA. Usually this is reversed. While it shouldn't matter, it's still something to check. In the BIOS, make sure the Video card is assigned an IRQ (instead of letting Windows 95 assign). Many BIOS' allow this option to be turned off, but IRQ assignment in BIOS should be enabled for Win9x in most situations and especially for Windows 95.

Regarding assigning an IRQ to Video card; It seems there isn't really a fixed menu directly doing that (for Video card) - This is IBM BIOS and an unusual layout for me, I could say. Please see the photos attached. I don't know really, how to do that.

BIOS menus:

20230504-005412.jpg 20230504-005424.jpg 20230504-005433.jpg 20230504-005440.jpg 20230504-005454.jpg 20230504-005504.jpg 20230504-005528.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Reply 5 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't worry about IRQ's anymore. Now that we know exactly what is being mapped with the VIA drivers fully installed, as jakethompson1 pointed out, you're probably OK. Run DXDIAG, run some benchmarks, and run some 3D and 2D games to validate, and enjoy!