VOGONS

Problem with floppy 5.25"

Topic actions

First post, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"I'm having a problem with my 5.25" floppy disk drive. It's very old, over 30 years, and it suddenly stopped reading disks. It's part of my INVES 386SX 25 Mhz computer. When I insert a disk, it acts like it's reading it, but I get an MS-DOS error message "Error initializing disk in drive B:". It's as if it's not detecting the disk. I don't know what to do, I've cleaned it and nothing. Can anyone help me and tell me from their experience how I could fix it? It has incalculable sentimental value and I don't know anyone who can fix this kind of thing." :_(

Attachments

• IMG_6585.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6585.jpg
    File size
    486.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6588.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6588.jpg
    File size
    503.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6591.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6591.jpg
    File size
    534.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6651.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6651.jpg
    File size
    701.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 28, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgive me but I wouldn't call it clean...
Check if the heads are clean. If the disk spindle but it's unable to read the best hope is that the heads need to be cleaned, go for a cotton swab wet of ipa.

Reply 2 of 28, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have cleaned the floppy disk drive head twice, but it's as if it doesn't detect the disk. It's not detecting anything, and the head is not moving or lowering, and the motor is not spinning. It just makes a noise of attempting to read 'tacata tacata' and gives an error.

Reply 3 of 28, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GEOCE wrote on 2023-05-05, 05:38:

I have cleaned the floppy disk drive head twice, but it's as if it doesn't detect the disk. It's not detecting anything, and the head is not moving or lowering, and the motor is not spinning. It just makes a noise of attempting to read 'tacata tacata' and gives an error.

I see, well if it does some noise something is moving... the first thing that happens when you insert a disk is the spindle motor turning on.
Did you try the bios option about the drive seek on boot? If the head is moving forward and backward the problem is somewhere else.

Reply 4 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suggestion: try the drive on a completely different computer with different controller and cable, as A: and single. This is to rule out all other parameters and focus on the drive, because right now it's not certain that it's the drive's fault.

Reply 5 of 28, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, during the startup, the head of both drives moves, both the 3 1/2 and the 5 1/4. The BIOS startup process works correctly. The controller works properly and the other connected drive works perfectly, although I have another controller that I could test to rule it out, but I don't think that's the problem. I'll try it out and let you know.

Reply 10 of 28, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://youtube.com/shorts/SgtVsg9IqxQ?feature=share

This is the floppy

Attachments

Reply 11 of 28, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems the Epson SD-600 there should be a small label on the left side if it so...
The problem from your last posts seems to be the spindle motor, can you try it while having it outside of the case? You should be able to check if the disk rotate or not when you insert one.

Reply 13 of 28, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

apparently we have something to blame then... Unlucky I wouldn't know how to fix it, but if Deunan comes around he has great experience with floppy drives.
I remember I watched a youtube video about the spindle motor but I can't find it right now.

Reply 16 of 28, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That drive is very dirty and dusty. Get a small wall painting brush with long, soft hair and clean it. Blow some air through it as well, especially after brushing. Make sure you clean the optical barriers but try to avoid brushing over the worm screw - it has some grease on it and that will stick to the brush (though it's not a big problem, brush can be cleaned, screw can get new grease and even dry but clean screw will work better then dirty one).

That PCB kinda looks like it suffered from a cap spill but it's hard to tell, might be just the dirt. In fact if brushing doesn't do much it might need a proper wash, but lets stick to dry cleaning first.

Can you rotate the spindle (the whole rotor actually) by hand, without using force? Does the the drive spin for a moment when you insert a floppy into it?

Reply 18 of 28, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Deunan. :_)
Which motor are you referring to? I'm a novice at fixing this type of floppy drives. The rotor at the back is working fine, it rotates smoothly when turned manually. When I insert a disk and turn on the drive, it doesn't rotate automatically. Which rotor should I manually rotate to see if it's not stuck?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SgtVsg9IqxQ

Reply 19 of 28, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spindle rotor is that big, flat and round thing on the bottom, I asume you turned it and it rotates. It looks like most of the drive actually works but there might be a problem with 12V power supply to the motor board, or it's not getting a clean control signal. Reconnect that small black connector on the side of the main PCB, maybe it's just corrosion and dirt inside. Do you have an ohm/volt meter?