VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by bing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bing wrote on 2023-06-06, 11:23:
The first resistor you proposed to cut is not S1 (yes, S1 is far away from S2, just on the left of the 'black thing') is E2, […]
Show full quote

The first resistor you proposed to cut is not S1 (yes, S1 is far away from S2, just on the left of the 'black thing') is E2,

In retrocomp.de info you could find:

Set the E2 strap to the ON state only if your computer requires MASKING THE INDEX. (i.e. PC and older PC/XT that do not give the drive enough time to reach a ready state when the disk replaced.

I cut this resistor and BINGO! Everything works!

Sadly NO, it doesn't work. This is the behaviour right now:
- 360 Kb floppies, I put a floppy, dir A:, sowing the content...
- Change the disk
- Dir A: again... SAME INFO, missing change disk signal?

I'm pretty sure that I need to change some other straps, I found a picture of the same board with OTHER jumper configuration... Could it be the right one to put this TEAC in a PC? In red the main differences with mine
file.php?mode=view&id=166811

This is my board, In red the jumpers that are absents in the order board, in blue the resistor that is absent in my board.
file.php?mode=view&id=166812

I coulnd't find useful info about S4 jumper, nor about HS (head selector), R25, R26, SII, R29... I think I'm going to CUT the jumpers and try again in this order:
S4
SII
HS

Attachments

Reply 21 of 22, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bing wrote on 2023-06-23, 10:46:

- Dir A: again... SAME INFO, missing change disk signal?

I'd say that's exactly what it is. Have you tried to set the various S/E jumpers (resistors) just like on the photo of my drive? I know your PCB has a few extra resistors and transistors but other than that it's identical. In fact these, along with the HS jumper, might be for the head solenoid? You've never posted a photo of your drive from the top so I can't tell how the heads are loaded (solenoid or just via locking lever).

Reply 22 of 22, by bing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again, the answer is YES, the heads are loaded with that solenoid, and it's working properly (with a 360 kb floppy), so I guess HS (zero resistor = strap = jumper ON), R26 and R25 are related to this 'head load' stuff.

Then I'll try to start cutting straps with S4 (no one in the world seems to have this S# jumpers set ON)

If this don't work, I'll cut SII (jumper) and remove R30 and use it in R29 (your R29 is populated)

Hmmm, I think it would be interesting.

Attachments