VOGONS

First post, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Previous thread: P55T2P4 Cache problems

I replaced the cache on my Asus P/I-P55T2P4 rev 3.0, which was hanging after post with L2 cache enabled in BIOS. Now, it's working great. I've been able to install multiple OSes and run 3D applications with expected performance, etc.

I have run into an issue with this board concerning bus mastering IDE drivers. I first was working with W95 OSR2.5 (version "C") and tried this driver:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1630 (Intel PIIX Bus Master IDE Drivers for Windows 95)
This driver gives a slightly infamous error, where windows can't find "ideatapi.mpd" when trying to install it. I grabbed this file from an older version of the driver, and this mostly results in Windows hanging after the splash screen, stuck in text mode with a blinking cursor. This driver says it's only for Windows 95 B and lower, so this could be part of the issue (I get the same behavior if I install this driver in Windows 98SE).

Next, I tried drivers from the motherboard's bundled floppy driver disk (labelled v1.6). These are timestamped about a year older and actually unpack the "ideatapi.mpd" such that I can point the driver wizard to it. These seem to install fine, but after they're all loaded and I reboot, I get what feels like DMA hanging. Keyboard locks still respond but I'll periodically or completely lose mouse input, and I lose keyboard input completely. Additionally, while Windows boots into GUI (desktop background, mouse cursor, no desktop icons or taskbar) it never gets any farther. The system hangs or sometimes blue screens eventually, telling me it's stuck waiting. This behavior is the same in Windows 95 C and 98SE. I also tried an image of the same floppy, version 1.2, that I found on the internet archive.

Lastly, I tried the following:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=398 (Triones DMA (Bus Mastering) IDE drivers)
This was the most promising. I could install drivers without any real lockups or freezing etc, although Windows Explorer did seem to hang for a few seconds sometimes. I can enable DMA for the CD drive, but if I enable it for the hard drive, I get the same hanging/lockup behavior as above.

For me, the default Windows 95 C drivers did not have DMA tickboxes, but the default Windows 98SE drivers did. When enabling DMA with those drivers, Windows hangs in text mode after the splash.

I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues with this board or similar boards and might be able to give some insight. I found this:
https://etmriwi.home.xs4all.nl/kalle.htm#DISK
"If you have OSR2 go to the Device Manger and enable the DMA Checkbox in your Drives property sheet. Don't try to instal Intel Bus Master Drivers if you have DMA Checkbox! WIN95 OSR2 Drivers are better and the Intel Drivers may be difficult to remove!"

Another thing worth noting is that I'm using some no-name IDE to SATA adapter, with a Seatools limited 1TB HDD (set to 32GB). I also tried an SSD through the same adapter with no change. I can't imagine this is the problem as I would think the disk wouldn't care whether it was talking to RAM or the CPU, but I don't know for sure.

Reply 1 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ajdrenter wrote on 2023-05-06, 14:09:

Another thing worth noting is that I'm using some no-name IDE to SATA adapter, with a Seatools limited 1TB HDD (set to 32GB). I also tried an SSD through the same adapter with no change. I can't imagine this is the problem as I would think the disk wouldn't care whether it was talking to RAM or the CPU, but I don't know for sure.

probably the noname adapter is your problem. DMA should work fine with a fresh windows and a period HDD, there is definitely no need for all these drivers under win95c.

supposedly some adapters might try to force higher UDMA modes that your board can't do while the startech adapter should be able to run lower modes with a 40-wire cable. i guess you could also try a newer promise controller with your adapter.

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree "probably the noname adapter is your problem."
read this: Re: Help enabling HDD DMA mode and ISA Slots
As explained many CF adapters and many older CF cards are not capable of doing DMA but real IDE/SATA drives can going back decades...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was 100% the problem. I swapped the no name IDE to SATA adapter with a Startech and all of my problems related to bus mastering and DMA were resolved. I do have an interesting issue with the Startech adapter where, for some reason, when that Startech adapter is connected as Primary Master, Secondary Master detection of my CD drive fails. It does detect fine as Primary Slave though, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks guys.

Reply 4 of 5, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ajdrenter wrote on 2023-05-09, 00:47:

Well that was 100% the problem. I swapped the no name IDE to SATA adapter with a Startech and all of my problems related to bus mastering and DMA were resolved. I do have an interesting issue with the Startech adapter where, for some reason, when that Startech adapter is connected as Primary Master, Secondary Master detection of my CD drive fails. It does detect fine as Primary Slave though, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks guys.

Look out, someone with the exact same problem with me with the StarTech (Marvell) and generic (JM20330) adapters.

I've chosen to stick with the JM20330 and just live with it. DMA is faster than PIO but with a fast SATA spinning drive it's still plenty fast compared to what you would have in 1996.

Reply 5 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ajdrenter wrote on 2023-05-09, 00:47:

for some reason, when that Startech adapter is connected as Primary Master, Secondary Master detection of my CD drive fails. It does detect fine as Primary Slave

check if pin 28 on Startech is grounded/pulled up. In ATA1 that pin is no longer BALE, its CABLE SELECT. A lot of problem between new adapters and older controllers.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction