VOGONS

First post, by ksiumaxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have this Siemens pc laying for around 2 years, and I for me it was just some stupid OEM desktop pc. But how wrong was I. It has an onboard Vibra16C chip, so I have a Sound Blaster 16 integrated (really good, couse it only has 3 expansions slots, which 2 I am already using). It didn't had any CPU or RAM, so I put a Pentium 133 with some cooler and 64mb of RAM. I have already installed DOS on 1gb CF card (it's using one expansion port, so I can get to the card without opening the computer) and put 3COM ethernet card in the second expansion slot. It would be a perfect DOS pc for me, but Siemens engieneers had the stupidest idea in the whole world. I have no speaker or line out in the back of the computer, but on the front I have headphones , line in and microphone jacks. I couldn't find any information about this computer even having the onboard Vibra16 chip, but I found one picture of this PC with diffrent back having Gameport and 3 jack connector. Would it be possible for me to buy a bracket with needed speaker/line out, line in and gameport and connect those (or duplicate from the front, becouse it still would be nice to have a way to connect headphones in the front or a microphone) and connect the gamport with one of the onboard connectors? (it has a lot of those not named, so it would be hard to find the one).

Reply 1 of 5, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Post some high quality pictures with the PC and the motherboard (sound chip area and headphone jack area). Adding a line out/line in bracket should be easy no mater the implementation/design chosen by the engineers even if there are no headers available on the board, the pins should be available on the board/sound chip itself, if you have some soldering skills (one shielded 2/4 wire cable for line out depending on how you would like the line out to behave, not to cut the signal to the headphones when a jack is inserted in the line out plug or cut it and one shielded 2 wire cable for line in = max 8 solder joints on the motherboard, 6 for the wires, 2 for ground). For the game port it may be possible also but a header will be nice to have on the motherboard (and the bios to allocate resources for the game port also).

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what model is the board ? There should be a number on the board on the left side edge or the front left edge. Something like: w26361-D943-xx-

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by ksiumaxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-05-06, 21:45:

what model is the board ? There should be a number on the board on the left side edge or the front left edge. Something like: w26361-D943-xx-

Model number is s26361-d943-a12.

bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-06, 19:49:

Post some high quality pictures with the PC and the motherboard (sound chip area and headphone jack area).

I will send some pics as soon as I'll be able to

Reply 4 of 5, by ksiumaxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for not responding for so kong, but I found the manual and needed connectors on the motherboard, do no need for sending pictures. You can find a lot of info about the motherboard and the manual here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/siemen … stem-board-d943
Now I need help finding what pins on the connectors are what so I can make sure to connect gameport and Jack connectors correctly.

Reply 5 of 5, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the midi/game header here you have the pin out https://www.frontx.com/info/creative.html, for the audio one i need a picture with your board of that area (the one from the retro web is unpopulated) and one with the audio connector that plugs in to the header (goes to your headphones/mic ports).

Attachments

• Siemens.jpg
    Filename
    Siemens.jpg
    File size
    318.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception