VOGONS

First post, by Jamieson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the 486 motherboard "SIH 486B" from NIC Technology. It seems to be properly configured for 64kB cache with 8 x 8Kx8 cache chips installed, TAG1 is 8Kx8, but TAG0 is empty. According to the datasheet TAG0 should be 16Kx4 in all cache configurations. Motherboard reports 64KB cache at POST. In benchmarks see a drop in memory read performance at 64KB so it looks like the cache is doing something, yet cachechk does not think there is any L2 cache in this 486SX-25 system. The two pictures of this motherboard on retroweb also show the TAG0 socket is empty. Does this seem normal for a dual TAG cache configuration?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/nic-te … gy-inc-sih-486b

Attachments

• motherboard.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard.jpg
    File size
    361.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cacheconfig.jpg
    Filename
    cacheconfig.jpg
    File size
    39.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Likely TAG0 is used for the indication whether modified data is in the write-back L2 cache that needs to be written back to the RAM before it gets replaced by other data. This is called the "dirty" or "altered" bit. If the L2 cache operates in write-through mode, cache lines in the L2 cache are never dirty, so this RAM chip is not required. I'm afraid that boards like yours usually run L2 cache always in write-back mode, though, and a missing TAG0 chip will either result in a non-functional system (obviously, it doesn't in your case), or it will degrade performance, because the chipset has to assume that the L2 cache is always dirty, even if it is clean. This will cause extra write-back cycles that cause delays while the processor is stalled waiting for fresh data. Adding the missing chip will increase performance (probably around 5 to 15 percent, depending on the application).

EDIT: I checked the data sheet: The L1 can operate in write-through mode. This board in WT mode doesn't need the extra tag chip, and performs quite good. In most use cases, WB with the extra tag chip is better, but there are some cases in which WB with tag decreases performance compared to WT. It's still true that you want to avoid WB without that extra tag chip. If you BIOS offers the choice between write-through and write-back, do choose write-through unless/until you got the extra tag chip.

Last edited by mkarcher on 2023-05-07, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With your 64 kB of L2 cache, obviousely operating in write through mode, please do not install more than 16 MB of RAM.
Otherwise there will be an uncached area in your RAM with that small amount of cache.
Note that that dirty tag ram will be quite different from your other SRAM chips.

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that chip will most likely be a 64kx1 SRAM like a CY7C187-15PC but finding the exact one the board is wired for may be a bit tricky....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jamieson wrote on 2023-05-07, 12:58:

I have the 486 motherboard "SIH 486B" from NIC Technology. It seems to be properly configured for 64kB cache with 8 x 8Kx8 cache chips installed, TAG1 is 8Kx8, but TAG0 is empty. According to the datasheet TAG0 should be 16Kx4 in all cache configurations.

According to the chipset datasheet, 16K x 4 is a waste at 64KB cache. You only need that size at 256K cache. At 64KB cache, a 4K x 4 chip will be enough, even a 4K x 1 chip would do - but the 4K x 4 chips likely and the 4K x 1 chip definitely will have a different pinout, so the mainboard manual is likely correct that the design of the mainboard requires a 16K x 4 chip at all cache sizes, although the chipset will only use 4K x 1 of it. The reason for using a x4 chip instead of an x1 chip is that the x4 chips were considerably more common at that time. If you have spare 4Kx1 chips and feel like investing (aka wasting) time on it, it is definitely possible to design an adapter to use it instead of the 16K x 4 chip the board is designed for.

Reply 5 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-05-07, 15:59:

Yes that chip will most likely be a 64kx1 SRAM like a CY7C187-15PC but finding the exact one the board is wired for may be a bit tricky....

Nope, not with this board. While 64K x 1 is a common size for the dirty tag chip, this board uses 16K x 4, as seen in the manual scan in the OP. This is a carry-over from the time where the address tag was also stored in multiple x4 chips: At 256K cache, a very common early configuration was 8* 32K x 8 for the data, and 3* 16K x 4 for the tag (two chips for address tag, one chip for dirty tag). Not using a x1 chip simplified the bill of materials.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2023-05-07, 16:06:
Horun wrote on 2023-05-07, 15:59:

Nope, not with this board. While 64K x 1 is a common size for the dirty tag chip, this board uses 16K x 4, as seen in the manual scan in the OP. This is a carry-over from the time where the address tag was also stored in multiple x4 chips: At 256K cache, a very common early configuration was 8* 32K x 8 for the data, and 3* 16K x 4 for the tag (two chips for address tag, one chip for dirty tag). Not using a x1 chip simplified the bill of materials.

Thanks ! somehow I missed that, a bit unusual indeed ! Finding the exact one still be tricky, have to seek out the address lines and match up. Just looked at some diff 16kx4 and seems there are two diff sets of address numbered pins...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-05-07, 16:38:

Thanks ! somehow I missed that, a bit unusual indeed ! Finding the exact one still be tricky, have to seek out the address lines and match up. Just looked at some diff 16kx4 and seems there are two diff sets of address numbered pins...

It doesn't matter which address pin has which number, as long as the same pins are address pins, the chips are compatible. There is no kind of burst mode or page mode in which the order of memory cells is significant. There are two different pinouts, though: One includes /OE (output enable) and has 24 pins, and the other one does not include /OE and uses just 22 pins. I counted the socket on the board, and it has 22 pins, so the OE-less pinout variant is required. For Cypress, that means the CY7C164 is a match, the CY7C166 doesn't fit.

On a quick google research, I found the following 22-pin 16k x 4 SRAMs: MT5C6404, CY7C164, IDT7188, QS8888A. All of them have address pins on 1-9 and 17-21.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jamieson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the responses. I'll get this motherboard reinstalled in the case and check the BIOS setup again... it may offer the choice between write-through and write-back L2 cache modes.

Reply 9 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2023-05-07, 20:52:

It doesn't matter which address pin has which number, as long as the same pins are address pins, the chips are compatible. There is no kind of burst mode or page mode in which the order of memory cells is significant. There are two different pinouts, though: One includes /OE (output enable) and has 24 pins, and the other one does not include /OE and uses just 22 pins. I counted the socket on the board, and it has 22 pins, so the OE-less pinout variant is required. For Cypress, that means the CY7C164 is a match, the CY7C166 doesn't fit.

On a quick google research, I found the following 22-pin 16k x 4 SRAMs: MT5C6404, CY7C164, IDT7188, QS8888A. All of them have address pins on 1-9 and 17-21.

OK thanks, never knew you could that under any circumstance. My brain just gained another wrinkle, and it hurt 🤣