Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It won't help you much but I'm going to state the obvious: You don't put a PLD on a floppy drive, a piece of tech that was pretty much perfected into single LSI chip by the time HD 3.5" drives were introduced, for no reason. And also it looks like the drive control might be non-standard, some of the odd-numbered pins look to be connected to some signals rather than GND.
Since it's a Sony make sure you are connecting the ribbon the right way, there's a cutout on the PCB for the notch on the plug and that seems to be in correct position but if the drive has a plastic connector rather than bare pins it might have another cutout on the wrong side. Sony was notorious for doing this for some reason. Rather than trust the cutout/notch pay attention to the pin numbering on the PCB silkscreen and make sure the colored wire in the ribbon is indeed on pin 1. If that still doesn't work then take a closer look at the jumper block, make sure it's set correctly to drive 1 (assuming it starts at 0, if it starts at 1 then you need to set drive 2).

Reply 8 of 29, by ontrca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-05-09, 03:36:
ontrca wrote on 2023-05-09, 01:07:

I tried, but it didn't work.

Does it mean the PC BIOS cannot detect the drive?
Or inserted a floppy disk and the drive cannot read it?

I bought 3 of these floppy drives (new in the box) and none of them are recognized by multiple PCs.

Reply 9 of 29, by ontrca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-05-09, 03:36:
ontrca wrote on 2023-05-09, 01:07:

I tried, but it didn't work.

Does it mean the PC BIOS cannot detect the drive?
Or inserted a floppy disk and the drive cannot read it?

They cannot be recognized by the BIOS so they cannot read a floppy.

Reply 10 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, there is a solder jumper for the drive select, I never noticed it. I figured that would be set via jumpers.

ontrca wrote on 2023-05-09, 04:06:

Are you setting them up at 1.44M? Did you try turning on floppy seek at boot option - is there head movement? Is there anything, like the busy light at any point?

Reply 11 of 29, by ontrca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-05-09, 08:37:

Huh, there is a solder jumper for the drive select, I never noticed it. I figured that would be set via jumpers.

ontrca wrote on 2023-05-09, 04:06:

Are you setting them up at 1.44M? Did you try turning on floppy seek at boot option - is there head movement? Is there anything, like the busy light at any point?

I don't know what the jumpers are for.

Attachments

• IMG-7033.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-7033.jpg
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 29, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ontrca wrote on 2023-05-09, 11:00:

I don't know what the jumpers are for.

These probably control some of the non-standard features of these drives. But the important thing is what did you set in BIOS? Is the floppy set to 1.44M? Is the seek on boot option on?

Reply 13 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ontrca wrote on 2023-05-08, 18:11:

I bought 3 of these new in the box.
None of them work in a PC.
I Googled them and I can't find anything, can someone help me? (:

Pics of the box?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 29, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As another user mentioned, it is very strange to have an Altera part on a supposedly standard floppy drive. Unfortunately there's no information on the Sony branded chip.

I don't know if you're good with electronics, but if it were me I'd connect power to the drive and try turning on the motor and stepping the head, just to see if that works. If so, there's no reason it shouldn't at least perform a head seek when connected to a computer. It's actually not difficult at all to do this. See https://polprog.net/blog/fdalign/

That web page is to calibrate a drive, but it has great instructions on getting the drive to do something.

Also, have you taken the top cover off to see if there's anything non-standard in there?

Reply 17 of 29, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the day I bought a box of Sony floppy drives and none of them worked in the machines I was building (on Intel branded P4 motherboards). I swapped the drives for a different brand.

Reply 18 of 29, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could these, MPF42C-2, have been from an apple macintosh computer ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 19 of 29, by ontrca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eesz34 wrote on 2023-05-09, 16:29:
As another user mentioned, it is very strange to have an Altera part on a supposedly standard floppy drive. Unfortunately there' […]
Show full quote

As another user mentioned, it is very strange to have an Altera part on a supposedly standard floppy drive. Unfortunately there's no information on the Sony branded chip.

I don't know if you're good with electronics, but if it were me I'd connect power to the drive and try turning on the motor and stepping the head, just to see if that works. If so, there's no reason it shouldn't at least perform a head seek when connected to a computer. It's actually not difficult at all to do this. See https://polprog.net/blog/fdalign/

That web page is to calibrate a drive, but it has great instructions on getting the drive to do something.

Also, have you taken the top cover off to see if there's anything non-standard in there?

I took the cover off.

Attachments

• IMG-7070.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-7070.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain