VOGONS

First post, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought two Biostar P4M800-M7 A VER:1.0 motherboards (https://iili.io/HSy9K7e.jpg). I have a problem with them because when I use the ASUS Radeon 9600 XT (https://iili.io/HSpmEE7.jpg) graphics card, the system does not always start the first time when I press the power button. The fans turn on, the monitor wakes up, screen is black, but the bios does not start, no beep. When I turn off the computer and turn it on a second time, everything work as it should. Then I can turn the computer off and on and the system always starts right away, but when it's off for about three minutes or more, the problem reappears.

It seems to me that the graphics card is ok because in four other computers there were no similar problems. I used other graphics cards in these boards and the system always booted the first time. I changed memory, cleared cmos, connected a different power supply, updated the bios and changed all the possible options in it to see if they have any effect, but nothing changed.

Do you have any tips on how to solve this problem?

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may be that the card you're using pulls more power from the AGP slot than the board can supply. This isn't only a problem with Slot 1/Socket 7 motherboards; I helped a friend out with an AMD AM2 motherboard when I upgraded him to newer stuff, and he had me take the old parts and put that together as a backup. He had added a basic Nvidia video card on my advice because the onboard video was too old and underpowered, but that card went with the newer system. I had a pretty basic AMD PCIe card to use with the old AM2 motherboard, but it wouldn't turn on every time, and I finally realized that it was the video card because it would work with no issue when using the onboard video (even though that card worked perfectly in other motherboards). We picked up a used AMD HD something that had an eternal power connector, and that card worked perfectly with that motherboard.

There's a Newegg review that mentions this board is picky about video cards.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey