VOGONS

First post, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've got ECS P5VX-B Rev 1.2 Socket 7 motherboard and can't get it to work or do anything. Maybe someone has got any ideas or had simular or dame issue would be great if you can share any useful info.
It doesn't post, no beeps. Nothing. Under thermal imaging cam looks like all temps are OK between 30 and 40 Celsius. Only one part get hotter to around 40-50 Celsius is Winbond W83768F but this is the I/O controller I belive dont think that this will cause any problems.
Processor, ram, video card are fine, power supply too. All tested on other mobo and no issues.
I already replaced caps but no go.
Any help ?
Thanks

Attachments

Save vintage / retro computers from ending up in the bin. Keep them in working condition. It's a great history !

Reply 2 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-11, 19:27:

You're missing a real time clock chip (DS12C887A+ or similar) in that empty socket

On a pic attached yes but I've got two of these. One original (dead) and the other one modded with CR2032 battery. When tested it I've used both just in case but no difference.

Save vintage / retro computers from ending up in the bin. Keep them in working condition. It's a great history !

Reply 4 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-11, 20:02:

The only advice I can offer at this stage would be to obtain a POST diagnostic card.

Already tried it. The only thing it shows is one led on (PCI RST) Nothing else shows on it.

Tried on different working Socket 7 motherboard and had exactly the same result which is pci rst led on.

Attachments

• 20230511_212408.jpg
    Filename
    20230511_212408.jpg
    File size
    633.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 24, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that this will fix your issue, but for older motherboards similar to this style is recommended - https://www.ebay.com/itm/201914181739 (ISA+PCI), that's why you probably didn't get any results of yours on the working board.

Reply 6 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-11, 20:51:

Not that this will fix your issue, but for older motherboards similar to this style is recommended - https://www.ebay.com/itm/201914181739 (ISA+PCI), that's why you probably didn't get any results of yours on the working board.

Hmmmm maybe that's the thing. I might need to invest in that older version of post card and see if get any different results.

Reply 7 of 24, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have this board. It's extremely fussy about the SDRAM it supports - are you using that or SIMMs?

Also, it could be the BIOS has degraded. Someone I know recently had similar symptoms on a different board, reflashed the BIOS and it worked. There are versions available from here.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8 of 24, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote on 2023-05-13, 12:44:

I also have this board. It's extremely fussy about the SDRAM it supports - are you using that or SIMMs?

Also, it could be the BIOS has degraded. Someone I know recently had similar symptoms on a different board, reflashed the BIOS and it worked. There are versions available from here.

bit rot can be fixed by plopping that EEPROM in a TL866 or something or having a working board with a DIP32 socket on hand and hotflashing it with uniflash and flashing the bios for that board on that chip.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 9 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows9566 wrote on 2023-05-13, 13:55:
brassicGamer wrote on 2023-05-13, 12:44:

bit rot can be fixed by plopping that EEPROM in a TL866 or something or having a working board with a DIP32 socket on hand and hotflashing it with uniflash and flashing the bios for that board on that chip.

I'm using SIMMs on it. I was thinking that bios might be dead but I don't have any tools to program it again. Never had any situation with dead bios so don't really know how to reflash it 😒 not sure what I might need of want to do it...?

Reply 11 of 24, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robx66 wrote on 2023-05-17, 01:53:

Never had any situation with dead bios so don't really know how to reflash it 😒 not sure what I might need of want to do it...?

Do you have a network card with a vacant ROM socket? This is the easiest way. If not you can 'hotflash' like Windows9566 said. This requires another working system with the same type of DIP BIOS socket and follow the normal procedure for updating the BIOS of that computer:

- Make a boot floppy
- Download the flashing tool for your working system (AMI / Award / Phoenix usually - it says on the chip or in the BIOS) and copy it to the floppy. UniFlash is also an option.
- Download a BIOS file (from the link I shared) and put this on the floppy as well.
- Start the (good) computer from that floppy.
- Remove the BIOS chip from the good motherboard (it is not in use, so it's safe to do this) and replace it with the chip from the dead board.
- Run the flashing program (it usually comes with a readme.txt) to flash the BIOS. You might need to 'force' the update - documentation tells you about this.
- Turn off your system and swap the chips back again.

This is a very basic guide - there are more detailed articles elsewhere online.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-05-17, 06:18:

What CPU(s) did you try?

Tried pentium 133, 166 non mmx and 200 mmx.
Same result.

Reply 13 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote on 2023-05-17, 09:51:
Do you have a network card with a vacant ROM socket? This is the easiest way. If not you can 'hotflash' like Windows9566 said. T […]
Show full quote
Robx66 wrote on 2023-05-17, 01:53:

Never had any situation with dead bios so don't really know how to reflash it 😒 not sure what I might need of want to do it...?

Do you have a network card with a vacant ROM socket? This is the easiest way. If not you can 'hotflash' like Windows9566 said. This requires another working system with the same type of DIP BIOS socket and follow the normal procedure for updating the BIOS of that computer:

- Make a boot floppy
- Download the flashing tool for your working system (AMI / Award / Phoenix usually - it says on the chip or in the BIOS) and copy it to the floppy. UniFlash is also an option.
- Download a BIOS file (from the link I shared) and put this on the floppy as well.
- Start the (good) computer from that floppy.
- Remove the BIOS chip from the good motherboard (it is not in use, so it's safe to do this) and replace it with the chip from the dead board.
- Run the flashing program (it usually comes with a readme.txt) to flash the BIOS. You might need to 'force' the update - documentation tells you about this.
- Turn off your system and swap the chips back again.

This is a very basic guide - there are more detailed articles elsewhere online.

I might try hotflash as I have another motherboard on tx chipset with compatible bios chip so might do it on that board. Sounds quite easy to do....

Reply 14 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is that cable for which comes with this post card ???

Reply 15 of 24, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robx66 wrote on 2023-05-17, 21:41:

It's for the pc speaker connector on the motherboard. You don't have to use it.

Reply 16 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-17, 22:57:

I doesn't make sense for me. This card already has buzzer on pcb so why someone would want to connect it to external speaker ? Hmmm maybe for better beep sound quality 😀

Reply 17 of 24, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robx66 wrote on 2023-05-18, 00:31:

I doesn't make sense for me. This card already has buzzer on pcb so why someone would want to connect it to external speaker ? Hmmm maybe for better beep sound quality 😀

It has a buzzer on the pcb that is not connected to anything. The cable 'brings' the pc speaker signal from the motherboard.

Reply 18 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-18, 03:10:
Robx66 wrote on 2023-05-18, 00:31:

It has a buzzer on the pcb that is not connected to anything. The cable 'brings' the pc speaker signal from the motherboard.

Oh ok, now I get it 😀
Anyway I ordered card like that and will try it soon

Reply 19 of 24, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Post card finally arrived so plugged it in and that's what it shows.....
It's in PCI slot, no codes, all leds on apart from 3.3 Volts, irdy, frame, reset. No beeps
In ISA as you can see.
Dead ???? or there is still something I can do or try ?

Attachments