001b.jpg
Filename
001b.jpg
File size
92.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

but when I connected it to the computer it was identified as a DR-A14S, I searched for this model drive and it proved to be a not so reliable more recent Pioneer drive rated as 36x.

001.jpg
Filename
001.jpg
File size
178.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So I took off the front panel and:

002.jpg
Filename
002.jpg
File size
90.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Two buttons ah? It really seems like this one!
PIONEER-DR-U16S-36x-slot-SCSI-IN-UNIT-CD.webp

So I took the cover with the label off, inside it was a mess, it was full of dust and hair, I cleaned it as much as I could (due to the slot in mechanism the drive inside is less accessible), and then gave it a try with nero cd speed:

Speed.PNG
Filename
Speed.PNG
File size
41.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Anything I can do to improve the performance? Clearly something is wrong with this drive, I also tried to find an updated firmware but without luck. When I cleaned it I also used a cotton swab with ipa to clean the lens.
Also Nero CD Info is unable to read the true speed of this drive, it asks for a cd to make the chek but when I put one in it says it can't read it.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This drive seems very old, as if it's from the 90s. I'm more familiar with the DVD models, also.
Those were popular in the RPC-1 "scene" of firmware modders.

Could well be possible that the firmware has no support for determining/setting drive speed.
I had no luck with a DVD version, either.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-05-13, 05:04:
This drive seems very old, as if it's from the 90s. I'm more familiar with the DVD models, also. Those were popular in the RPC-1 […]
Show full quote

This drive seems very old, as if it's from the 90s. I'm more familiar with the DVD models, also.
Those were popular in the RPC-1 "scene" of firmware modders.

Could well be possible that the firmware has no support for determining/setting drive speed.
I had no luck with a DVD version, either.

I see, yes it's very old, I had the very same model 24x in scsi format instead of ide.
I'm more concerned about the lack of writing speed, if it's a 24x with the wrong firmware (I doubt) it's slow, if it's a 36x it's even slower!

Reply 3 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really deceitful tho...the DR-A14S (Pioneer branded) & the DR-704S (OEM) are the same base units but with different bezels, so firmware may be shared also - they even have the same (DR-AI4S headed) manual (which also covers the DR-714S)

Reply 4 of 4, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-05-13, 10:09:

Not really deceitful tho...the DR-A14S (Pioneer branded) & the DR-704S (OEM) are the same base units but with different bezels, so firmware may be shared also - they even have the same (DR-AI4S headed) manual (which also covers the DR-714S)

So it's a 36x? Why it doesn't read a full disc faster than 17x then?
The weird behaviour is clearly evident also from the p-cav guess of nero cd speed.
After cleaning the inside with compressed air, clear the laser with a cotton swab and ipa I wouldn't know what else to do.
I also tried a 700mb cd-r disk the speed is the same, apparently the laser is particulary sensitive (or weak) since during the reading it slowed down 3 times.