VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello

Today i had the opportunity to buy two EISA VGA cards.
This was not really planed, i was interested by some ISA network cards, and the seller also presented me two EISA VGA cards.
After an hesitation, i finally bought them. Half because i wanted an early 90's system and half because they were not crazy expensive...

But i'm not really familiar with this era (was too young, i'm more familiar with mid/late 90's stuff)
I started to look for motherboards, (mostly Compaq boards) but i don't really know what to look for and what to avoid.

I have no immediate need for such a system, so i can wait a bit until i finally gathered the stuff.
But since i'm out of my comfort zone, i would love some advice (Brands, what to avoid, prices ranges)

Or should i just sell the cards and look for ISA / VLB system instead ?

EISA-2.jpeg
Filename
EISA-2.jpeg
File size
240.01 KiB
Views
File comment
seller's picture
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
EISA-1.jpeg
Filename
EISA-1.jpeg
File size
242.95 KiB
Views
File comment
seller's picture
File license

Edit : duplicated photo

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EISA is interesting, but when it comes to video cards it will not give you noticeable advantages vs regular ISA. I have 2 EISA motherboards, one with a proprietary local bus slot (ECS) and one with VLB, so I use those for video instead since the performance is way, way better than ISA/EISA. But for other expansion cards such as networking or HDD controller it's cool to tinker with EISA.

Also you would need an EISA motherboard, they're nothing special really, but due to being somewhat rare compared to ISA/VLB sellers will often jack up the prices to obscene levels. It took me a while to find EISA boards for a decent price (say, less than $75). So my suggestion would be to sell those EISA VGAs and use the money to get a nice ISA/VLB board + cards. For some strange reason, when it comes to EISA, you can usually get lots of cheap expansion cards, but VGAs, despite their mediocre performance, command ridiculous prices.

Reply 2 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think these are 1MB cards. The one on top seems to be newer and has a beefier RAMDAC. If you're going to keep one, keep that one.
I really like EISA stuff, but these days I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a board unless it was cheap.
My feeling is that this card would be best at home in a 386 system (basically all of them are OEM built proprietary jobs, so you'd need a complete system).
486s really need local bus video.

It's said these cards don't show much of a boost in DOS, but accelerated graphics in Windows is a different story.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few EISA systems (mostly 486 with an Early Pentium as well) and they are fun to mess around with.

The full EISA/VLB boards are the best of both worlds where you can use a VLB card all by itself for video and then use EISA for SCSI and Ethernet plus ISA for I/O and sound.

Finding EISA cards is pretty easy, but full motherboards that are not proprietary are harder and much more expensive.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 9, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much.
I think i will follow your advices and look for a VLB / ISA / PCI system instead.
I will keep them in the meantime, only in case i find a cheap EISA system. (i'm not in the hurry)
Then probably trade/sell them later, when starting actively to look for this 486 VLB system.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 6 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2023-05-14, 19:01:

EISA is interesting, but when it comes to video cards it will not give you noticeable advantages vs regular ISA. I have 2 EISA motherboards, one with a proprietary local bus slot (ECS) and one with VLB, so I use those for video instead since the performance is way, way better than ISA/EISA. But for other expansion cards such as networking or HDD controller it's cool to tinker with EISA.

Also you would need an EISA motherboard, they're nothing special really, but due to being somewhat rare compared to ISA/VLB sellers will often jack up the prices to obscene levels. It took me a while to find EISA boards for a decent price (say, less than $75). So my suggestion would be to sell those EISA VGAs and use the money to get a nice ISA/VLB board + cards. For some strange reason, when it comes to EISA, you can usually get lots of cheap expansion cards, but VGAs, despite their mediocre performance, command ridiculous prices.

The QVision shown in the top pic is faster than an ET4000AX. It's better than any ISA cards. Mine nearly keeps pace with a low end VLB card like a GD5426

Reply 7 of 9, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-05-14, 23:34:
I think these are 1MB cards. The one on top seems to be newer and has a beefier RAMDAC. If you're going to keep one, keep that o […]
Show full quote

I think these are 1MB cards. The one on top seems to be newer and has a beefier RAMDAC. If you're going to keep one, keep that one.
I really like EISA stuff, but these days I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a board unless it was cheap.
My feeling is that this card would be best at home in a 386 system (basically all of them are OEM built proprietary jobs, so you'd need a complete system).
486s really need local bus video.

It's said these cards don't show much of a boost in DOS, but accelerated graphics in Windows is a different story.

Hello,

I disagree. So I agree with maxtherabbit (last post at the moment): Especially the Compaq QVision 1024/E is good in DOS.
I made some benchmarks
Re: The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison
I don't think this throughput is possible with an ISA card.

Reply 8 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-05-16, 19:21:
I disagree. So I agree with maxtherabbit (last post at the moment): Especially the Compaq QVision 1024/E is good in DOS. I made […]
Show full quote

I disagree. So I agree with maxtherabbit (last post at the moment): Especially the Compaq QVision 1024/E is good in DOS.
I made some benchmarks

Thanks for the benchmarks. I'm impressed by the write rates; I never have used that benchmark.
Too bad you have run SpeedSys without a VESA driver.
And you may use ctcm from c't/heise also with the /vid switch.

Reply 9 of 9, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2023-05-16, 22:08:
Thanks for the benchmarks. I'm impressed by the write rates; I never have used that benchmark. Too bad you have run SpeedSys wit […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-05-16, 19:21:
I disagree. So I agree with maxtherabbit (last post at the moment): Especially the Compaq QVision 1024/E is good in DOS. I made […]
Show full quote

I made some benchmarks

Thanks for the benchmarks. I'm impressed by the write rates; I never have used that benchmark.
Too bad you have run SpeedSys without a VESA driver.
And you may use ctcm from c't/heise also with the /vid switch.

I powered on the big server 😀 No tantalums exploded, at least I did not hear something.
For some unknown reason speedsys hangs on "detecting memory type". Damned. I have no clue, have to investigate.

ctcm is running, I ran ctcm 1.5 international with vid parameter

IMG_20230604_213349.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230604_213349.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license