VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There seems to be a lot of upgrade paths for 8088 systems such as NEC V20, sprint overclock and all sorts of 8088 to 286+ accelerators like the Tiny Turbo.

Besides the swapping out for a NEC V30 for a modest speed bump are there any other options out there for upgrading an 8086? Most of the options that work for the 8088 are incompatible with 8086 systems such as the various accelerators.

Lastly , this is for entertainment and tinkering purposes, I know just getting a 286, 386 ect. Build would be cheaper and faster.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only PC upgrade I know of is NEC v30. There was an odd one saw long ago had a 80186 cpu on a card and a ribbon to a socket and think it worked for both 8088 and 8086 but was proprietary. An industrial application at Tektronix back in 80's and ran cp/m-86 or some such thing. My neighbor gave me a manual late 80's that I still have from (man date 1982) about the OS and usage. Sorry is all I can remember.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-05-14, 23:13:

The only PC upgrade I know of is NEC v30. There was an odd one saw long ago had a 80186 cpu on a card and a ribbon to a socket and think it worked for both 8088 and 8086 but was proprietary. An industrial application at Tektronix back in 80's and ran cp/m-86 or some such thing. My neighbor gave me a manual late 80's that I still have from (man date 1982) about the OS and usage. Sorry is all I can remember.

There's the Microsoft Mach 10 with the 80186.
Not sure if those can upgrade 8086s, but it doesn't seem like it would be much of an upgrade.
The box claims it's compatible with a Compaq Portables, so that implies the answer is 'yes'.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I thought the Mach 10 just upgraded a 8088 to 8086. Thanks. Guess my memory is getting bad 😀
added: Ohh no it is just a 8086, just watched Daves video. it has a soldered Siemens SAB8086-1 cpu. the socket is for Coprocessor. ok my memory is not quite as bad as thought 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe my memory is getting bad...but there definitely is an 80186 accelerator card.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/eve … -can-you.34569/

That one is pretty old an finicky. Not clear if it would work in an 8086, but probably best avoided anyway.

From what I read, the Sota 386Si might support 8086 though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium