VOGONS

First post, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recall reading somewhere around here in the forums (I can't find where!) that, around Intel UHD 600 or something like that, Intel graphics started to be problematic for DOS gaming because of broken VESA modes, etc.

So, is Intel HD 500 good for DOS gaming? Or does it already have disabled / broken features? I can see on the BIOS it still has the "OPT ROM" for graphics, which is supposed to be a good thing...

Can you guys please point me to some good info about Intel Graphics and DOS compatibility?

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 4, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything after 2012 isn't really going to be DOS friendly and frankly, you shouldn't bother with DOS when things like DOSBox and ports/emulation exist. Everything you want can be had within the Windows OS, if you're willing to do the work to put it together.

Reply 2 of 4, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-05-14, 22:01:

I recall reading somewhere around here in the forums (I can't find where!) that, around Intel UHD 600 or something like that, Intel graphics started to be problematic for DOS gaming because of broken VESA modes, etc.

So, is Intel HD 500 good for DOS gaming? Or does it already have disabled / broken features? I can see on the BIOS it still has the "OPT ROM" for graphics, which is supposed to be a good thing...

Can you guys please point me to some good info about Intel Graphics and DOS compatibility?

Short answer seems to be no, and yes, based on this thread where there's only a list of issues (the discussion gets sidetracked a little), and no solutions.

Reply 3 of 4, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@jtchip: I have posted in that thread, maybe I'll get some insight there. Seems to be about beyond-HD500, but I am trying to figure out the actual HD500 compatibility.

@RetroGamer4Ever: No way I am touching Windows with a 10 mts pole. For DosBox, I use dosbox-core with shaders on Wayland (GNU/Linux).
But that's not the subject in this thread...

Reply 4 of 4, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-05-15, 09:14:

@jtchip: I have posted in that thread, maybe I'll get some insight there. Seems to be about beyond-HD500, but I am trying to figure out the actual HD500 compatibility.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that the thread title is misleading, the original post on the SBEMU thread mentions issues with the HD530 so it should really be HD5xx and later.