VOGONS

First post, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have watched what I think is every Voodoo 2 video on YT and I have yet to find a video of the kind of issue I'm having. The Voodoo 2 doesn't appear to have any obvious signs of damage and mojo and the drivers both start up successfully. However most 3DFX apps crash when run (like any of the test##.exe tests in the glide SDK) the one game that does run is descent 2 which looks like the attached picture: if I disable everything using the SET SST_ environment cars I still see the rectangular patches (though with the TMUs disabled I no longer see textures in descent). Any ideas what might be broken? I have a spare for-parts card and some replacement RAMDAC chips but I was hoping to narrow down what might be broken before I start desoldering everything.

Attachments

A Sound Test for as many games as I can find at SNDTST.com

Reply 2 of 2, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 3dfx diagnostics tells you that everything is initialized but it still could be hardware problem. Maybe just a lifted leg or broken circuit track. Worst case it's bad frame or texture unit or RAM. There are YT videos where the culprit was broken smd resistor networks and such. I've had hours spent on checking everything on one of my voodoo2 and found tiny physical damages that caused incorrect ram size detection sometimes... super fun.
Good luck!