Less popular Youtube channels

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 74, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
spiroyster wrote on 2023-06-21, 08:21:

Thanks for these links...
Thought I would watch one or two "Breaking Bad Influence" last night... ended up watching about 3 hours! ... I'm never going to be able to look at that show the same way again...

Ha haa! Yeah his Breaking Bad Influence series is a total binge watch, so funny seeing the same kids pop up - Im angling for Atomic Adam to come out of the woodwork to do more game reviews, he was brutal! RoseTinted's since made good friends with one of the hosts Violet Berlin since making the series, he recently Tweeted a pic of her gatecrashing his 40 birthday party which was really sweet. I'm really enjoying his new Spectrum Dumpster Diving series, really funny. Anyway still think he deserves a much bigger audience, so glad you're enjoying them.

Reply 41 of 74, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.youtube.com/@RetroTechBytes

Has some interesting videos on graphics cards which used proprietary APIs. I particularly like his coverage of ATi CIF which has lots of game footage and also showcases some tech demos.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 42 of 74, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mogwaay wrote on 2023-06-21, 16:34:

Thought I would watch one or two "Breaking Bad Influence" last night... ended up watching about 3 hours! ... I'm never going to be able to look at that show the same way again...

Ha haa! Yeah his Breaking Bad Influence series is a total binge watch, so funny seeing the same kids pop up - Im angling for Atomic Adam to come out of the woodwork to do more game reviews, he was brutal! RoseTinted's since made good friends with one of the hosts Violet Berlin since making the series, he recently Tweeted a pic of her gatecrashing his 40 birthday party which was really sweet. I'm really enjoying his new Spectrum Dumpster Diving series, really funny. Anyway still think he deserves a much bigger audience, so glad you're enjoying them.

Holy crap this guy and this series! Iv been binging on it for two days now :] For the first two seasons I kept imagining its narrated by Robert Webb (of Mitchell and Webb), same energy, humor and even similar voice.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 43 of 74, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-22, 06:54:

Holy crap this guy and this series! Iv been binging on it for two days now :] For the first two seasons I kept imagining its narrated by Robert Webb (of Mitchell and Webb), same energy, humor and even similar voice.

Lol! Really happy to hear people enjoying his stuff, would be great if he got a bigger audience, seems like a really nice guy. His blindfolded Manic Miner is a fun watch too.

Have you got any recommendations for smaller channels?

Reply 44 of 74, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mogwaay wrote on 2023-06-23, 13:53:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-22, 06:54:

Lol! Really happy to hear people enjoying his stuff, would be great if he got a bigger audience, seems like a really nice guy.

he even addresses the question of why he hasn't got a big audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ02zp4mNS0

pretty good reasons too 😀

Reply 45 of 74, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mogwaay wrote on 2023-06-21, 16:34:

Thats pretty cool! After watching the segment where violet visited CodeMasters and was added as a character on MicroMachines2... I always played her.
Bad Influence also introduced me to Silicon Graphics (Andy Crane had a little flirt with an Onyx, forget which series) which was quite a pinnacle moment in me defining my future career as a graphics programmer... my first job was working on SGI's!
Still seeing it all second time around (30 odd years later) is quite an eye opener... always thought GamesMaster was the gritty edgy games show on UK TV then... but now I'm not so sure 😀

Reply 46 of 74, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote on 2023-06-23, 22:18:

Still seeing it all second time around (30 odd years later) is quite an eye opener... always thought GamesMaster was the gritty edgy games show on UK TV then... but now I'm not so sure 😀

Back in the day I could only catch first season of Games World (Sky One over satellite TV). Teenage me lowed Fight Night Beat The Elite with all the tournament gimmicks opponents 😀 Didnt much care about reviews/news, local gaming press was on point and software pirates always knew which games were good anyway.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 48 of 74, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if >30K subscribers counts as "small", but I've been watching the Day of the Tentacle documentary on https://www.youtube.com/@onaretrotip and I have to say it's fantastic. I especially liked the segment about iMuse and all the challenges of creating the soundtrack. And it was great being able to put a face to those names I saw many times in the credits during the '90s. LucasArts seems to have been a really cool place to work at back then.

Reply 49 of 74, by RoseTintedSpectrum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone - I was pointed this way from Twitter and it's lovely to see my name being brought up (it's a rarity!).

Thank you all so much, put a genuine smile on my face this morning to read through this.

Reply 50 of 74, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andre_6 wrote on 2023-05-28, 16:34:

It's my absolute favorite channel since the early days with the trash to treasure episodes being the top ones for me, the DIY episodes for the latest cave were also such a pleasure to watch. There's also a podcast that has much less subscribers for some reason that features Neil from RMC Cave which is a weekly pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/@ThisWeekinRetro

Thank you very much - we try our best with the podcast. We try to inform but be light and entertaining and postive, with a bit of fun thrown in. Quite a few people have said how they enjoy it on a Saturday morning and it's an amazing thing to hear that you're making people happy!

RoseTintedSpectrum wrote on 2023-06-30, 09:53:

Hi everyone - I was pointed this way from Twitter and it's lovely to see my name being brought up (it's a rarity!).

Thank you all so much, put a genuine smile on my face this morning to read through this.

Well remember not to put your genuinely smiling face on video or there will be more complaints!

Reply 52 of 74, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dr.Sbaitso has a new channel in which he is archiving game installations. It is light-hearted, with the later videos having some interesting things going near the end. Good material for sleeping over 😁

Reply 55 of 74, by LieboOSBA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-29, 20:47:

such great links all 😀

andre_6 wrote on 2023-05-28, 16:34:

This channel is becoming one of my favorites too, adequately paced diagnostics and repair of retro PCs, very well edited and you don't even notice time going by, I think it will grow considerably: https://www.youtube.com/@miketech1024

ah yes I've been watching this channel too, very meticulous and complete - everything that can be rescued is rescued, a little bit like necroware in terms of technical depth

I like this guy too 😀

LBX Computers

Reply 56 of 74, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doublebuffer wrote on 2023-07-15, 20:02:

Not retro-tech, but long form retro game reviews and retrospectives. Very good quality.

Thanks for this! It's such a good channel, I'm binge-watching everything right now! 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 57 of 74, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LieboOSBA wrote on 2023-07-16, 18:49:

I like RetroSpector78 but he's gone quiet recently. Anyone know what happened to him?

He's mentioned earlier in the thread, and he is a member on VOGONS as well.
The gist of what is known, is that he simply hasn't got the time for retro computing in his life right now, though he himself hasn't said that publicly (word of mouth from others), so it can't exactly be verified.

He doesn't owe anyone an explanation, of course, but I do wish he gave a heads up, no matter how brief, that he'd go inactive, just so people know.
Would reduce the amount of comments on his channel about it as well! 😁

Let's just hope he resurfaces some time in the future with new content.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 58 of 74, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2023-07-16, 22:24:

Thanks for this! It's such a good channel, I'm binge-watching everything right now! 😀

I know right 😀 I must have watched everything twice or thrice by now 😁