VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya!

I recently aquired a Abit Ic7-G motherboard.

Strange thing tho, it doesn't recognise either my Kingston a400 120gb ssd or the Crucial BX500 120gb ssd.

Both these drives work fine in my other 865 and 875 Intel based motherboards.
Tried some other older sata drives and those show up so i know the sata controller is working.

Anyone knows what ssd drives the Abit will work with?

I think the Abit has the latest bios but I'm not 100% sure as i don't know where the version number is.

Reply 1 of 6, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may want to try an older Samsung, like an 840 or 850. Though I haven't tried them on i875, I can say that both 840 Pro and 850 Evo work with my PowerMac G5, a machine that's even more selective about the SDDs it'll accept than most PCs of the era. That G5 absolutely won't work with my MX500, WD Blue, or Samsung 860 SSDs.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 6, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SSD not working on ICH5 or Silicon image controller?
It seems to me that they are almost equivalent in performance.
Therefore, you should not insist on working the built-in SATA in ICH5

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 3 of 6, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-05-31, 05:57:

SSD not working on ICH5 or Silicon image controller?
It seems to me that they are almost equivalent in performance.
Therefore, you should not insist on working the built-in SATA in ICH5

The silicon image controller works with both of those drives.
However i got the board because of its extra features so i really want to use all sata ports.

Also something strange happend when i used sata3 and 4 on the silicon controller.

In windows system i can't see the drive names so idk how i can enable dma on them.

Reply 4 of 6, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-05-31, 03:43:

You may want to try an older Samsung, like an 840 or 850. Though I haven't tried them on i875, I can say that both 840 Pro and 850 Evo work with my PowerMac G5, a machine that's even more selective about the SDDs it'll accept than most PCs of the era. That G5 absolutely won't work with my MX500, WD Blue, or Samsung 860 SSDs.

Hey! Thanks for the input 🙂

I actually have an old 840 pro and a 850 Evo but they are in use by my main pc.
I have been thinking on replacing them for a while now but they work flawlessly so.
Well ya know if it's not broken don't fix it.

Still it's a bit strange to me that this Abit board is so picky.
I've had both Asus i875 and gigabyte boards that work perfectly.
Even 815 boards like the Asus tus-c or whatever it's called has no issues at all.

This must be a bios thing as the chip is fundamentally the same.

Reply 5 of 6, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abit IC7, IC7-G, IC7-MAX3 do not work with Intel, Kingston, OCZ ssd. The silicon image controller recognizes the drives but they only work in PIO mode! So only classic hard drives for IC7 series.

Reply 6 of 6, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem you have isnt the drives its the Silicon Image controller.
I had a similar problem back when SSDs were expensive, so I didnt have many to play about with...
£13.40 for a Kingston A400 120Gb is crazy!

But anyway you need contemporary drives for this one...
There was also another quirk about this board I cant seem to remember. I offloaded mine on ebay some years ago for a substantial amount of money for what it was. This board is a sellers market for some reason.