VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello All

I was wondering about a mobo that i will be getting and it has AT and ATX PSU

i am thinking of swapping out the mobo of this build - my first vintage pc build (Win 95) - RETIRED

The Only different will be:

-Mobo (ASUS P5A-B - Rev 1.03)
- CPU (AMD K6-2+)
-Ram (SD Ram)
-AGP Graphics (Creative Graphics Blaster CT6710)

my question would i be able use the above and still use the current sound card, voodoo card, HDD, CD-Rom, floppy and network card with the AT PSU currently in the build or would i need to use an ATX

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2023-06-01, 06:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dorunkāku wrote on 2023-05-31, 22:07:

You will need a ATX power supply. The ASUS P5A does not have AT power connectors.

I do apologise l, its the asus-p5a-b (I have edited the post to say that now)

Here is a pic the mobo

Attachments

Reply 3 of 15, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use either an AT or ATX PSU, the motherboard supports both. When using an ATX psu you'll have to hook up a power buttom to the front panel header. Some motherboards have a jumper for selecting AT/ATX power, not sure this one has tho.

You can mount the board in either an AT case or full-ATX case. If mounting in an AT case you can use an ATX psu with no issues - either repurpose the Reset button for soft power-on or add another soft-power button from another case and mount it to the case using a metal bracket (I used a glob of polixina - puddy like epoxy designed for fixing pipies).

Reply 4 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lots of info here ASUS P5A-B and P5A info and help.

>ALI AGP + TNT

good luck. AT is fine, but there might be problem with AGP power

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2023-06-01, 08:11:

You can use either an AT or ATX PSU, the motherboard supports both. When using an ATX psu you'll have to hook up a power buttom to the front panel header. Some motherboards have a jumper for selecting AT/ATX power, not sure this one has tho.

You can mount the board in either an AT case or full-ATX case. If mounting in an AT case you can use an ATX psu with no issues - either repurpose the Reset button for soft power-on or add another soft-power button from another case and mount it to the case using a metal bracket (I used a glob of polixina - puddy like epoxy designed for fixing pipies).

I will be using same case and I am assuming the current AT PSU will work fine and have enough power to power the new parts and old parts above

Reply 6 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-01, 09:45:

>ALI AGP + TNT

Thank you I wil have a look

Reply 7 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-01, 09:45:

>ALI AGP + TNT

in what way do you mean a problem with agp power

Reply 9 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-06-20, 13:38:

No power problems wit Riva TNT and TNT2.

so everything should run no issues with specs above/old win95 build

how hot is riva tnt chipsets ment to get

Reply 11 of 15, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-06-21, 06:36:

Riva TNT can work even with passive cooling. Why Win95, Win98SE is better for that MB and CPU?

sorry for late reply, i was on holiday

i already have a win98se build with a p4 1.06ghz that covers 98/99 ish to about 2002 ish

this ss7 build is for windows 95 as the previous version (p233 mmx) was more like powerful version my 486 build and wanted something more in-between a 486 dx4 100 and p4 1.06ghz as some games ran a tad slow-ish on p233 mmx and too fast on p4 1.06ghz

only issue i had was with voodoo 1 and riva tnt was black screen after a boot and discovered that latest ref driver for voodoo 1 didn't play nice (with directx checkbox ticked or switched to voodoo 1 for glide games) with riva tnt and use the version before the latest drivers and work fines

Reply 13 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RockstarRunner wrote on 2023-07-03, 11:16:

I have this motherboard, it's running a V3 3000 agp without any issue

Same revision as OP?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!