VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to boot my IBM 5150 from a Gotek emulator, running the latest FlashFloppy firmware (3.39).
The gotek drive appears to be detected on boot (no errors), and there is a short seek, but then the PC goes to basic instead of booting.
The oled display shows that the drive quickly seeks up to track 34, and then gives up.
I tried many boot images of various dos versions in 360k and 720k sizes, and all fail the same.
The PC is able to boot with the original floppy drive, so it is configure to boot from floppy.
I'm using the original cable, just swapping the A: drive (which boots fine) with the gotek, using an edge connector to 34 pin adapter. I verified that the gotek works on another PC (a 286 clone) with this edge connector adapter.
When connected instead of the B: drive, I'm unable to read or format any image on the gotek. So I guess the issue is not just booting, but accessing it at all...?

The Gotek has jumpers on JC and S1, and the FF.CFG is:

interface = ibmpc
host = pc-dos

Also tried other cables, and even crimped a simple IDC -> 34 pin cable without a twist (changes the jumper to S0 for that), but it still acts the same.
I have another Gotek with older firmware that acts the same on this 5150.

I'm out of ideas...
Help? 😀

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anetanel wrote on 2023-06-04, 12:37:

I'm out of ideas...
Help? 😀

2M-XBIOS?

Good luck. 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 11, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-04, 13:55:

I'm out of ideas...
Help? 😀

2M-XBIOS?

Good luck. 🙂🤞

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will not help with booting from the gotek, right?
It seems that it needs a driver to run.

Reply 3 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you:
- use a cable with the twist, and set the drive for ds1
- use a cable without twist, and set the drive for ds0

Did you use a 360k image? The standard 51x0 FDD controller cannot handle HD drive speed.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 11, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2023-06-04, 14:33:
Did you: - use a cable with the twist, and set the drive for ds1 - use a cable without twist, and set the drive for ds0 […]
Show full quote

Did you:
- use a cable with the twist, and set the drive for ds1
- use a cable without twist, and set the drive for ds0

Did you use a 360k image? The standard 51x0 FDD controller cannot handle HD drive speed.

yes to all.
As I wrote in the original post 😉

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm out of ideas...
Help? 😀

Super PC/Turbo XT BIOS 3.1 ?

🙂🤞

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't flash a new BIOS right now... The current chip is a 28 pin HN482764G-3 that is glued to some 24 pin adapter. I'm not able to break the bond, and I have no idea how to flash such chip in its current condition.
I ran the flashfloppy io-test firmware, and discovered that pin 32 (Side/Head Select) is low upon boot. It is only after a while that it gets high. This is not the case with a "normal" SuperIO card on my 286, where all IO pins are high. I wonder if it has anything to do with my issue.
Can anyone with a 5150 and a gotek try as well?

Reply 8 of 11, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
80386SX wrote on 2023-06-13, 20:02:

Hello, I think you need more of an XT-CF-Lite v.2 or something like that for the 5150.

I actually have one installed.
I was able to install dos from the real floppy drive.
But a gotek would be nice too, in case i was not able to find real floppy media.
I saw videos of people using it in a 5150, so something must be wrong with my setup.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anetanel wrote on 2023-06-13, 17:36:
I can't flash a new BIOS right now... The current chip is a 28 pin HN482764G-3 that is glued to some 24 pin adapter. I'm not abl […]
Show full quote

I can't flash a new BIOS right now... The current chip is a 28 pin HN482764G-3 that is glued to some 24 pin adapter.
I'm not able to break the bond, and I have no idea how to flash such chip in its current condition.
I ran the flashfloppy io-test firmware, and discovered that pin 32 (Side/Head Select) is low upon boot. It is only after a while that it gets high.
This is not the case with a "normal" SuperIO card on my 286, where all IO pins are high. I wonder if it has anything to do with my issue.

I wished I could help, but.. I do merely have an XT compatible (Nixdorf 8810 M35) with a non-IBM BIOS (not that this a bad thing).
And secondly, I kept the A drive as it was. I used the Gotek as my secondary floppy drive (B:). Via an edge connector adapter, just like you.
To boot from Gotek, I used a 5,25" 360KB floppy with the "BOOT B" utility.
That way, I can still boot original media. Maybe this also works for you ?

See "boot_b.zip" at https://drivers.dosreloaded.de/index.php?b=So … Fdos%2Fdiskutil

Edit: I wish you good luck! 😀 👍

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-13, 20:35:
I wished I could help, but.. I do merely have an XT compatible (Nixdorf 8810 M35) with a non-IBM BIOS (not that this a bad thing […]
Show full quote
anetanel wrote on 2023-06-13, 17:36:
I can't flash a new BIOS right now... The current chip is a 28 pin HN482764G-3 that is glued to some 24 pin adapter. I'm not abl […]
Show full quote

I can't flash a new BIOS right now... The current chip is a 28 pin HN482764G-3 that is glued to some 24 pin adapter.
I'm not able to break the bond, and I have no idea how to flash such chip in its current condition.
I ran the flashfloppy io-test firmware, and discovered that pin 32 (Side/Head Select) is low upon boot. It is only after a while that it gets high.
This is not the case with a "normal" SuperIO card on my 286, where all IO pins are high. I wonder if it has anything to do with my issue.

I wished I could help, but.. I do merely have an XT compatible (Nixdorf 8810 M35) with a non-IBM BIOS (not that this a bad thing).
And secondly, I kept the A drive as it was. I used the Gotek as my secondary floppy drive (B:). Via an edge connector adapter, just like you.
To boot from Gotek, I used a 5,25" 360KB floppy with the "BOOT B" utility.
That way, I can still boot original media. Maybe this also works for you ?

See "boot_b.zip" at https://drivers.dosreloaded.de/index.php?b=So … Fdos%2Fdiskutil

Edit: I wish you good luck! 😀 👍

That is a cool piece of software 😀
But it seems that I'm not able to read or write to the gotek at all. Not just boot.
Attempting to read (dir) pre-made images always fails, and attempting to format empty disk image, results in a "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable" error.

Reply 11 of 11, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to boot my IBM 5150 from a Gotek emulator, running the latest FlashFloppy firmware (3.39).
The gotek drive appears to be detected on boot (no errors), and there is a short seek, but then the PC goes to basic instead of booting.
The oled display shows that the drive quickly seeks up to track 34, and then gives up.

A couple of years ago I used a Gotek (with FlashFloppy fw) to bootstrap my IBM 5160 (with the original IBM floppy controller) since at the time I didn't have any 5.25" floppies. Once I figured out the right configuration settings for FF.CFG it all worked like a charm. I only used 320K and 360K images.

I think you should first focus on getting things to work with the Gotek as your B: drive, my guess is there must be some kind of cabling issue. Getting a "invalid media or track 0 bad" error when trying to format is indicative of either: (a) the TRK0 signal from the drive isn't reaching the controller, or (b) FORMAT has written the FAT to track zero but when it tries to read it back to verify it either can't find track zero again or it reads back junk data that doesn't match what was previously written.

Grab a copy of ImageDisk (http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/img/index.htm) to run on your 5150 and jump into the Align/Test menu which lets you manually control the floppy drive and it will show the status of the various drive signals like TRK0.