VOGONS

First post, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished my 486 setup and wanted to share. This is my first 486 workstation class tower so im curious to get opinions on its benchmarks. Found it at an estate sale, it was setup as a full windows 95 workstation PC from Tangent, seemed all original. I stripped it down, cleaned it and rebuilt it as more of a DOS gaming spec 486. Kept as much of the original Tangent branded stuff as I could, anything I didn't I stored. Wanted it to be as era accurate as possible so no flash storage or anything like that in this one.

Specs are:
Lion Computers 486-SUPER EISA/VP Motherboard
486DX 66mhz
Full 1MB of cache installed
4 4MB 80ns sticks for 16MB total of RAM
Unbranded VL41C/V2 VLB S3 805P Card, upgraded to 2mb of vram
CT1680 SB Pro 2.0
Adaptek AHA-2742 EISA SCSI Controller
Seagate Elite ST43400N 2gb SCSI HD (It's massive! Works fantastic though)
Plextore Plex8 SCSI Caddy Loading CD-ROM
Sony SDT-5000 SCSI Tape Drive
IBM Model 1711 1.2mb Floppy Drive
Teac 1.4mb Floppy Drive

So far this seems like a happy combo. Doom runs very playable, even Duke 3D is playable. And the compatibility seems really great. Topbench scores it around a 200, with Turbo off its around an 80. Does the memory bandwidth seem fast for a 486 PC? Is that just because of the high cache amount? Also curious what are you guys doing for Dallas DS1488 Ramified Battery replacements? I have extra 12887 batteries but it wont boot with those. This battery came with it and for now it works good, but I have no idea how old it is and im sure it will need replacement eventually.

671Nx3.th.jpeg 671UFq.th.jpeg 671woQ.th.jpeg 671y2a.th.jpeg 671Gek.th.jpeg 671axx.th.jpeg

Reply 2 of 12, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-06-05, 19:28:

That is a really nice 486 😀

I have one of my 486 systems in the minitower version of that case. That one is more or less untouched since 1995 when it got a multimedia upgrade.

Thanks!! Is it Tangent branded? Im sure allot of companies used this case though 🤣

PS, Mods, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Should really be in system specs, feel free to move, thanks!

Reply 3 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's always nice to see another Super EISA in action.
I used to have my Super EISA in a slightly older version of that case. The main difference was the control panel, which had industrial style buttons and a very nice green power switch with a light bulb inside. I wonder if they changed anything else. The one I had was very heavy and made of good quality steel.

The DS1488 contains some RAM that stores EISA CFG settings. The DS1287 won't work. As far as I know you can mod it to take a coin cell battery like the DS1287 though.
The 1MB cache helps a little, but it's still a pretty quick board with only 256k.
If you really want to see this sytem fly, pop in an am5x86 on a voltage regular and overclock to 160.

I like the HDD. When it dies you can use it to anchor your yacht.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost 5MB/sec, but yeah that seems off.
On the other hand, speedsys is not at all a reliable measure of anything really.

Reply 6 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I agree its not the best measurement of graphics performance, it usually shows >10MB/s for VLB graphics. 4 is suspiciously slow.
FinalJenemba can you run VIDSPEED? hmm maybe 805 is that slow after all https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_graphics_ … _VLB_front.html

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 12, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-06, 15:30:

While I agree its not the best measurement of graphics performance, it usually shows >10MB/s for VLB graphics. 4 is suspiciously slow.
FinalJenemba can you run VIDSPEED? hmm maybe 805 is that slow after all https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_graphics_ … _VLB_front.html

Sure I can run VIDSPEED. But it's true that most 805 VLB cards are not known for being fast. I didn't get it for its speed. I got it for its DOS compatibility and standard VGA performance. I also have a Orchid Weitek 9000 that I could have used that has MUCH faster gui acceleration and windows performance. But its legacy VGA performance is absolutely awful, and it had lots of bugs and issues in games. The S3 is over twice as fast in VGA DOS games and has no bugs, I expect its windows performance to be much worse but I don't plan on running windows much if it all on this build.

Reply 8 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I generally agree. But there are definitely times when Speedsys is totally wrong. For example, it reports 486DLC-40 as 13MHz. And I think we're all aware of the crazy CPU score inflation when the FPU is absent.
For the record, with ARK1000 I get about 26,000KB/sec with the same motherboard.
There are some jumpers on the board that add VLB wait states. I believe they are not well documented. They should be near the VLB slots. I would compare a photo of your board to another one and set the jumpers accordingly. They also could be jumpers on the VGA card itself.

Reply 9 of 12, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-06-06, 02:55:

I have one of my 486 systems in the minitower version of that case. That one is more or less untouched since 1995 when it got a multimedia upgrade.

Thanks!! Is it Tangent branded? Im sure allot of companies used this case though 🤣

PS, Mods, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Should really be in system specs, feel free to move, thanks!

The one I have is branded Tekno Pro from a small local company called Teknorama. They seem to be around even 30 years later 😀

IMG20220910183841.jpg
Filename
IMG20220910183841.jpg
File size
642.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Front side

IMG20220911163304.jpg
Filename
IMG20220911163304.jpg
File size
667.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Backside

I wounder if the warrenty is still valid 😀

I have the original invoice for it somewhere. It was delivered as a DX40 but it was upgraded to a DX4 100 about a year later. 16mb ram and two harddrives for a total of about 1.5gb. Cirrus Logic 5428 and SB16 with a Creative CD-ROM.

Reply 10 of 12, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-06-07, 14:44:
The one I have is branded Tekno Pro from a small local company called Teknorama. They seem to be around even 30 years later :) […]
Show full quote
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-06-06, 02:55:

The one I have is branded Tekno Pro from a small local company called Teknorama. They seem to be around even 30 years later 😀

IMG20220910183841.jpg
Front side

IMG20220911163304.jpg
Backside

I wounder if the warrenty is still valid 😀

I have the original invoice for it somewhere. It was delivered as a DX40 but it was upgraded to a DX4 100 about a year later. 16mb ram and two harddrives for a total of about 1.5gb. Cirrus Logic 5428 and SB16 with a Creative CD-ROM.

Oh wow I love that! Certainly a much more practically sized tower than this oversized beast 🤣.

Reply 11 of 12, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-06-07, 02:22:

I generally agree. But there are definitely times when Speedsys is totally wrong. For example, it reports 486DLC-40 as 13MHz. And I think we're all aware of the crazy CPU score inflation when the FPU is absent.
For the record, with ARK1000 I get about 26,000KB/sec with the same motherboard.
There are some jumpers on the board that add VLB wait states. I believe they are not well documented. They should be near the VLB slots. I would compare a photo of your board to another one and set the jumpers accordingly. They also could be jumpers on the VGA card itself.

Ok guys I have some benchmarks for ya. Ran VIDSPEED with the L tag for VGA and it got a pretty solid score, up into the list with PCI cards. Pic below. Also ran the standard Doom shareware benchmark, default screen size, no sound, and got 31FPS. 31 seems pretty quick for a 486 so no complaints there, I should have run it before the ram upgrade to compare but I don't want to pull it all back apart now 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember seeing this monitor in an early 1993 issue of PC World. I was always pretty jealous of that glowing LCD screen.