Rank

Good evening to all

I have the following specs
Asus a8v-mx
Amd 64 3500+ 939
512mb ddr1
Ati 9600xt
Creative live 5.1 pci

My problem is that this motherboard has problem with all creative pci sound cards.
When a creative soundcard is installed, pc hangs right after boot beep , and more specific on boot screen checking ide devices. sometimes after 20 -30 minutes the system completes the drive check and boot to os , Sometimes not , and
the system remain frozen and i have to reset . With every other pci card (network card , sata controller , Or other brand soundcard) pc is booting normally passing bootscreen and instantly enters on windows.
I tried 3 different creative cards same problem.
Does everybody know what is going on?

Reply 1 of 1, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it's an IRQ address problem?
With my pc and sound blaster connected, it was giving problems with the IDE controller, behaving similarly to your pc. In my case it was a shared IRQ issue between Sound Blaster and IDE controller.
Try unplugging any onboard (disable), pci, and usb peripherals you can do without. This frees up IRQ addresses and maybe the system allocates the sound blaster to a different address than the ide controller.
Otherwise you could try to assign the addresses manually yourself, but I'm not practical in this.