VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:34:
a) please don't scream, it's unpolite. b) the diagnosis program said the axis test failed. So it's not wrong investigating this […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:11:

the timer ICs and their associated circuitry have NOTHING to do with the button inputs, only the axis

a) please don't scream, it's unpolite.
b) the diagnosis program said the axis test failed.
So it's not wrong investigating this further.
Maybe the axis can be made work and the gameport can be saved.
c) I know what a timer IC is. I worked with 555s for about 20 years.
From what I learned tinkering with electronics is to never make assumptions.
The most weird things can be the culprit.
Going by logic makes sense, but isn't the last word in wisdom.

There is only one 556, which serves two axis.
That multi io card does not support four axis, and very likely not even four joystick buttons.
I already mentioned this before you started talking about the 556.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 21 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:52:
There is only one 556, which serves two axis. That multi io card does not support four axis, and very likely not even four joys […]
Show full quote
a) please don't scream, it's unpolite. b) the diagnosis program said the axis test failed. So it's not wrong investigating this […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:11:

the timer ICs and their associated circuitry have NOTHING to do with the button inputs, only the axis

That multi io card does not support four axis, and very likely not even four joystick buttons.

Yes, I understand and fully agree. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't say a thing, also.
An usual gameport card has a 558 and support for two joysticks, with two buttons and x/y axes each.

Not sure if that diagnostic program knows about the existence of one-joystick game cards, either.
It didn't explicitly say that axes of joystick 1 or 2 is faulty, it's pretty vage, rather. 🤷‍♂️

It's just that the 556 is a timer IC/oscillator. It's an unpredictable source of error, thus.
If it oscillates wild due to a defect, it may introduce RF noise into nearby 74 series ICs or those directly connected to it.

And in thus case, the gameport cable was attached in reverse, so I thought maybe there was a short when the
joystick was used while the diagnostic program was running and told to press all buttons.
I didn't check the pinout when I wrote this, though.

That's why I was worried, mainly. I'm not insisting that the 556 is the troublemaker.
I just meant to say that everything could be a source of error.
In practice, it's often the thing that someone expects the least.
There's an old saying that jokingly says "everything oscillates, except the oscillator."

Edit: If the card was on my workbench, I'd use an oscillograph (scope) and check the ICs.
However, the user doesn't have that equipment at home, so it's no option.

Edit: Or let's thinking the other way round.
How could something simple as the gameport be possibly broken?
It contains address decoders, a multi-555 IC (that 556) and caps to define a time base.
On the joystick side, we have variable resistors (two potentiometers) that control the charging/discharging curve of the caps, so X/Y axes can be measured. The rest are switches.

Edit: If we just want to make the gameport silent, cutting the right pin of one the adress decoder ICs is an option.

Alternatively, let's just remove that card and use a Sound Blaster with on-board IDE/ATAPI.
A 286 can also boot from a Secondary Master IDE port if XTIDE Universal BIOS is used (on an EPROM on a network card).
If configured accordingly, it will boot from both Primary/Secondary Master.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 24, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:50:
No, I do not think that, that bad suggestion came from jo22. […]
Show full quote
jedikwon wrote on 2023-06-13, 06:17:

So you think the 556 chip is malfunction? I can try desolder it completely and see what happens. After that I will try 74LS367 chip too. I am really not expert at this kind of things but at least I know how to solder things.

No, I do not think that, that bad suggestion came from jo22.

I think that your multi io card does not support four buttons. nor a second joystick.
and that it might be possible to disable it by changing the state of pin 1of the 74ls367 chip.

You’re right. My mistake. Okay, pin 1 of the 74ls367 chip. I will try that.

Reply 23 of 24, by jedikwon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-13, 15:38:
Yes, I understand and fully agree. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't say a thing, also. An usual gameport card has a 558 and […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:52:
There is only one 556, which serves two axis. That multi io card does not support four axis, and very likely not even four joys […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yes, I understand and fully agree. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't say a thing, also.
An usual gameport card has a 558 and support for two joysticks, with two buttons and x/y axes each.

Not sure if that diagnostic program knows about the existence of one-joystick game cards, either.
It didn't explicitly say that axes of joystick 1 or 2 is faulty, it's pretty vage, rather. 🤷‍♂️

It's just that the 556 is a timer IC/oscillator. It's an unpredictable source of error, thus.
If it oscillates wild due to a defect, it may introduce RF noise into nearby 74 series ICs or those directly connected to it.

And in thus case, the gameport cable was attached in reverse, so I thought maybe there was a short when the
joystick was used while the diagnostic program was running and told to press all buttons.
I didn't check the pinout when I wrote this, though.

That's why I was worried, mainly. I'm not insisting that the 556 is the troublemaker.
I just meant to say that everything could be a source of error.
In practice, it's often the thing that someone expects the least.
There's an old saying that jokingly says "everything oscillates, except the oscillator."

Edit: If the card was on my workbench, I'd use an oscillograph (scope) and check the ICs.
However, the user doesn't have that equipment at home, so it's no option.

Edit: Or let's thinking the other way round.
How could something simple as the gameport be possibly broken?
It contains address decoders, a multi-555 IC (that 556) and caps to define a time base.
On the joystick side, we have variable resistors (two potentiometers) that control the charging/discharging curve of the caps, so X/Y axes can be measured. The rest are switches.

Edit: If we just want to make the gameport silent, cutting the right pin of one the adress decoder ICs is an option.

Alternatively, let's just remove that card and use a Sound Blaster with on-board IDE/ATAPI.
A 286 can also boot from a Secondary Master IDE port if XTIDE Universal BIOS is used (on an EPROM on a network card).
If configured accordingly, it will boot from both Primary/Secondary Master.

Yeah, I just want to kill that gameport so I like the idea of cutting a pin. Well, I have to find out which one though. 😉

I do have a SB16 but it only has propriety connectors, no IDE. On the other hand, I have an ESS card with IDE connector but there is no jumper at all. I believe I need to load ESS driver to initialize IDE connector. But yeah, I can try that for sure.

Reply 24 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jedikwon wrote on 2023-06-14, 01:04:

Yeah, I just want to kill that gameport so I like the idea of cutting a pin. Well, I have to find out which one though. 😉

I see, that's okay. 🙂
I believe weedeewee can help here.
I'm the dude with the bad ideas, rather.

jedikwon wrote on 2023-06-14, 01:04:

I do have a SB16 but it only has propriety connectors, no IDE. On the other hand, I have an ESS card with IDE connector but there is no jumper at all. I believe I need to load ESS driver to initialize IDE connector. But yeah, I can try that for sure.

I've got an ES688 sound card with an IDE port that doesn't need software for init.
I've once installed it in a 286 and it worked with XTIDE Universal BIOS.

Alternatively, a SB16 CT1740 or similar can be used.
Cheap and small IDE "controller" cards also work.
They're sometimes appearing on eBay.

Good luck. 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//