VOGONS

First post, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm having this annoying issue with my Pentium III build. The motherboard is a Fujitsu-Siemens D1188 (Intel 815 chipset, socket 370) that has two IDE sockets. The sockets are marked as "IDE drives 1 and 2 (primary)" and "IDE drives 3 and 4 (secondary)" on the motherboard diagram, and according to the manual, the motherboard has an "IDE hard disk controller connected to PCI bus for up to four IDE drives".

However, as it says on the subject line, I can't get the damn thing to see two IDE hard drives when I connect them to the primary socket. Each of the drives works by itself as a master, but as soon as I connect both of them on the same cable, the computer boot sequence becomes really slow (I suppose it's trying to check the drives at that moment) and yet the other drive remains unseen.

And yes, I did remember to set the jumpers on the drives so that one is the master and the other is the slave; from what I can tell, it's always the slave that's not being detected. I also tried setting both drives to cable select, but IIRC that made them both invisible in the eyes of the BIOS, so that was a short experiment. 😁 (At least one of the drives works in CS mode when alone on the cable, I did try that.)

I also tried setting the sectors/heads/et cetera settings manually in the BIOS for the other drive, but that again results in nothing; the boot sequence still takes ages, and the result is that the IDE drive is set to "None" in the BIOS on the next boot anyway.

Worth mentioning I suppose is that the secondary socket (drives 3 and 4) does work correctly; at least, it does pick up my DVD (master) and CD (slave) drives correctly without any undue delay.

Also worth mentioning is that I suspect the motherboard is failing; one of the PCI slots, the lowest, works unreliably enough that I've given up on it and it remains unpopulated.

So... does anyone have any ideas on what to try next? 😀 Granted, I don't really need two hard drives -- this thing supports USB sticks, yeaah!! -- but it's become a matter of principle at this point...

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 1 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What happens if you connect HDD master + CD Rom Slave on the same cable does that work?

PS You don't really want 2 Optical disk drives on the same ribbon connecter if you plan on using them at the same time.

Reply 2 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do both hard drives work together on the secondary ide port, the one where both dvd & cd drives work on ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 11, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-06-12, 05:44:

What happens if you connect HDD master + CD Rom Slave on the same cable does that work?

Good idea, I'll check. However, this is not feasible in the long run due to case I'm using; the HDDs and the optical drives are physically quite far apart.

Warlord wrote on 2023-06-12, 05:44:

PS You don't really want 2 Optical disk drives on the same ribbon connecter if you plan on using them at the same time.

Why is this?

weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-12, 05:52:

Do both hard drives work together on the secondary ide port, the one where both dvd & cd drives work on ?

I hadn't thought to check this either. I'll get back to you.

Into the eyes of nature, into the arms of God, into the mouth of indifference, into the eyes of nature...

Reply 4 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amigopi wrote on 2023-06-12, 05:58:

Why is this?

because data can only go one way at a time on a IDE ribbon cable. trying to read and write to 2 differnt discs or hdds on the same cable at the same time will impact performance. You would see this especially if lets say for example you have 2 cd drives on one cable. One is a burner and the other is for reads and youre trying to rip data from one and burn to another at the same time. It will be a lot slower than if they were on differnt IDE channels. The same goes for HDD drives. Having 2 hard drives on the same cable and if you try to copy the contents of one HDD onto the other HDD it will be a lot slower than if they were on seperate channels. So you shouldnt be putting 2 HDD on the same ribbon anyways if you trying to get the best performance.

Reply 5 of 11, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-06-12, 06:14:

because data can only go one way at a time on a IDE ribbon cable. trying to read and write to 2 differnt discs or hdds on the same cable at the same time will impact performance. You would see this especially if lets say for example you have 2 cd drives on one cable. One is a burner and the other is for reads and youre trying to rip data from one and burn to another at the same time. It will be a lot slower than if they were on differnt IDE channels. The same goes for HDD drives. Having 2 hard drives on the same cable and if you try to copy the contents of one HDD onto the other HDD it will be a lot slower than if they were on seperate channels. So you shouldnt be putting 2 HDD on the same ribbon anyways if you trying to get the best performance.

Cool, thanks!

Now for the really dumb question: can I extend an IDE cable with another IDE cable? 😁 It's the only way I can think of to make this "HDD master, optical slave" thing practically work with my case with the cables I have on hand.
--> duh, of course not, there are separate extension cables for that.

---

weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-12, 05:52:

The answer to this is, unfortunately, NO. The master HDD is detected as drive 3 by the BIOS, drive 4 is "None". I also tried with another IDE cable, the one that works with the optical drives.

Last edited by amigopi on 2023-06-12, 07:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which hard drives are you using? make/model
Which cables are you using? 80 wire / 40 wire ?

As a test you could take out the drives and just hook them up hdd&dvd and hdd & cd, laying beside the case. As a test.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 7 of 11, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-12, 06:35:

Which cables are you using? 80 wire / 40 wire ?

I only have these 40 wire cables from who knows when to play with at the moment. (I have ordered some 80 wire cables.)

Which hard drives are you using? make/model

The other one is a Maxtor 2B020H1 from 2001... and the other one is this OCZ SATA SSD I've been using with this chintzy Chinese adapter (see attachment) that I really feel like I should have mentioned earlier. Sorry!

As a test you could take out the drives and just hook them up hdd&dvd and hdd & cd, laying beside the case. As a test.

Yeah, this is what I did... After some fiddling it seems that the Maxtor knows how to play nice with both of the optical drives, while either the OCZ or the adapter is a jealous type and doesn't want to share the cable with anyone. So for now I've got both hard disks and the DVD drive working, which is good enough for me; however, I cannot put them in the case with the cables I have. Crap. I guess I'll have to order either an extension cable or figure out some way to mount the Maxtor to one of the 5.25" slots.

So, mystery kind of solved, I suppose. Thanks for your time, guys!

Attachments

Reply 8 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, it's likely the adapter that's causing you problems. Some work fine in dual drive setups, others fail. It's annoying.

enjoy & have fun !

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amigopi wrote on 2023-06-12, 07:54:

The other one is a Maxtor 2B020H1 from 2001... and the other one is this OCZ SATA SSD I've been using with this chintzy Chinese adapter (see attachment) that I really feel like I should have mentioned earlier. Sorry!

sata-pata adapters are usually hard wired for master, they might not even support slave drive on same cable. IDE master/slave actually requires some logic in drive controllers https://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-dual-drive-ide-hell/ and wasnt standardized for a long time (something ridiculous like ~1994?)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 11, by amigopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-12, 14:42:

sata-pata adapters are usually hard wired for master, they might not even support slave drive on same cable. IDE master/slave actually requires some logic in drive controllers https://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-dual-drive-ide-hell/ and wasnt standardized for a long time (something ridiculous like ~1994?)

This one does have the master/slave jumper, though. Not that it's any good for anything, apparently.

I actually wouldn't mind if anyone had suggestions re: these adapters. For example, I am considering buying the StarTech one, but as it is considerably more expensive at ~27 euros, I don't feel like just jumping in blindly.

Reply 11 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amigopi wrote on 2023-06-12, 14:57:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-12, 14:42:

This one does have the master/slave jumper, though. Not that it's any good for anything, apparently.

I actually wouldn't mind if anyone had suggestions re: these adapters. For example, I am considering buying the StarTech one, but as it is considerably more expensive at ~27 euros, I don't feel like just jumping in blindly.

I think i've seen it mentioned a few times on the forum in one way or another and seeing it has a marvel chip and seems to have all the jumpers. I'd say go for it.

Do not ask Why !