VOGONS

First post, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I've bought online a PC with a p5s30b4 motherboard, CPU with Pentium MMX 233.
I've got no documentation of the PC, no manual can be found on the net.
The PC has a 5.25" HDD , model BIGFOOT QUANTUM TX(A).
The CD drive is not working, but is recognized by the BIOS and the OS.
The RAM is 64 MB, but it counts it 3 times before proceeding to POST.
It has Windows 98 SE on it.

When i first booted the PC, the video card was not working properly, as it had no drivers.
The audio card didn't have any drivers, same for the modem card that was installed.
With the floppy drive, i was able to bring in Universal USB drivers and use the USB stick to bring in "Everest".
With it, i was able to identify the video card as "S3 Vision 868", and the audio card as "ESS Technology ES 1938/ ES 1941/ ES1946 Solo 1(E)Audio Drive", and the modem as "D-Link RTL 8139 (A/B/C)".
Everytime i've booted the PC, it would first go blue screen with "15_16W31.386 Initialization Error! 15_16W31.386 was unable to locate the wave audio hardware", but it progressed to boot.
After the splash screen, the "New hardware found" window popped up, asking me to install the drivers for the recognized P&P hardware.
Only that it would fail, asking for the windows 98 CD and a monitor error came up.

After installing a driver for the S3 Vision 868, the error about the monitor and the video card went away, but if i choose in the monitor settings the 256 colors option, after the reboot , it crashes at the splash screen with a corrupt splash screen freezing.
The "15_16W31.386 Initialization Error! " still pops up.

The audio card now seems to be working, as the drivers found in the Windows 98 SE CD, made the yellow mark in the "Devices" tab go away and the sound tab appear.
I've got no idea if that's a hardware or driver issue.

Can you help?