VOGONS

First post, by Wappynutter Andy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey fellow vogons members, longtime lurker asking for help identifying a capacitor.
Purchase this little 386sx in a job lot 15 years ago.
Been sat in my loft space along with many more laptops, base units, towers and crt units. Junk according to the Wife, but retro gems in my eyes.
Well upon trying to power this unit up I discovered that the recyclers had removed the hdd and the modem cover is missing obviously disposed of during the decommissioning.
During this process the recyclers pulled off a capacitor behind the modem port leaving just the legs still soldered in place.
Now I have searched for a detailed motherboard schematic or any photos showing the capacitor and its values but any information on this is not available.
I'm hoping one of you lovely lot can share some pictures or any info on this missing cap so I can continue to get this little machine up and running.
Thanks in advance. Pictures showing where the Capacitor should live on the board.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by Wappynutter Andy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm back, I have asked the same question regarding the Capacitor over on the VCF forums and was messaged back by a fellow enthusiast with a Ti 4000, a 486.
He seems to think that his motherboard is very similar to my 386 and the area in question near the battery terminals has a 1000uF 6.3V electrolytic capacitor. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy these to solder one in place but I'm a little worried in case I'm wrongly trusting that this will be the same value in my 386 as his 486. I'm guessing that if I'm wrong it'll blow the cap again.... but worse case scenario is what? Anybody made this type of mistake and done any real damage?. Just need to put mind at ease and take a chance, without blowing it up.
Thanks for any input..

Attachments