VOGONS

First post, by squareoctopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I'm building a Pentium 233 MMX using an SBC and a beautiful orange aluminum case for an old telephone equipment I found on the street (will showcase as soon as it's finished!).

I got an "NE2000 compatible" ethernet card (ISA, my SBC doesn't have PCI slots), managed to install drivers and set the correct IRQ/ADDR using info from this forum. No issues shown by windows, I have a "link" green led light on constantly, and an orange "act" led that flashes from time to time. I can see the link light on the switch where it's connected.

BUT the router doesn't see it (even connected directly). It doesn't show on devices, doesn't get ip by DHCP, and even setting it up for a fixed IP on the router and Windows (configuring the bound TCP/IP to the same fixed IP, same subnet mask, same gateway, and tried setting DNS to the router IP as well) doesn't see it.

Is this a problem with the adapter, or a software issue?

If anyone has an idea, I'm all eyes. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 20, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Double check the IRQ settings...
Re: Cant connect my Windows 95 machine to my home network

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any identifying model numbers of the card? "NE2000 compatible" is a rough standard like SoundBlaster compatible.
Like soundcards often the actual card had better drivers available including tools to set/test the cards resources

Reply 4 of 20, by squareoctopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for your replies

IRQ: Tried IRQ, no luck. Could try disabling LPT, COM and removing the sound card to try on IRQ5...

Card ID: I can't find anything that ID's this card beyond the "NE2000" compatible sticker. Under that sticker I should be able to read the IC number, but I don't know if that could help (seems to be a generic card).

Router: I have an Archer A9. Will see if I can find an older router and try that.

Thanks again!

Reply 5 of 20, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How's the rest of your network look like? If you have mostly gigabit equipment then you may need a different(ly wired) cable for this card. They come in two basic flavors, straight and crossover. Modern GB cards don't usually care and will work with either, switching the RX/TX pins on their own when necessary; an old NE2K can't do that.

Reply 7 of 20, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2023-06-14, 16:33:

How's the rest of your network look like? If you have mostly gigabit equipment then you may need a different(ly wired) cable for this card. They come in two basic flavors, straight and crossover. Modern GB cards don't usually care and will work with either, switching the RX/TX pins on their own when necessary; an old NE2K can't do that.

So long as the switch (or router) supports Auto MDIX then the cable won’t matter even if the NIC expects a certain cable pinout.

I’m expecting this to be a case of auto-negotiation of 10-baseT full-duplex not working. Older kit never did handle auto-negotiation very well.

Can you set the router switchport and the NIC to a hard-coded speed and duplex (that matches)?

Reply 9 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-14, 16:57:

I’m expecting this to be a case of auto-negotiation of 10-baseT full-duplex not working.

I dont think NE2000 could even do full duplex 😀 later enhanced clones like RTL8019AS could, but those are usually way less problematic. If anything switch might have problem with half-duplex 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 20, by squareoctopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems I'm stuck for now. I don't have a floppy drive and my attempt to make a SD-to-FDD converter (using FDDemu on Arduino) failed, and I don't have an older router to test. I tried with a 12 year old router directly to the NIC and I get no ip.

I also tried another driver that seems to be compatible, one from realtek, but same issues.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated! didn't know about that boot disk at all. Will post again as soon as I can do more tests.

Reply 12 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also think its software issue, especially seeing its Realtek based cards, those were made in much more civilized times. I think RTL8019 was released in 1995. .. that is unless squareoctopus used realtek driver on random nic 😀

squareoctopus lets start with basics. What windows? did you ever configure lan before? Configure static ip from same subnet as your router (and correct mask) and try pinging it. Do 'arp -a' in command prompt after.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 20, by squareoctopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's entirely possible that I used a wrong driver, I'm going to check out what chip the card actually has, and send pictures of both card and chip. It's Win98 SE

I'm confident that I know how to setup a LAN, but, just in case, this is what I did:
- ipconfig /all, got the mac address of my adapter.
- Router: reserverd an unused IP and bound it to the mac address.
- Click on TCP/IP (bound to the adapter, checked), and set the ip manually to the one reserverd, same as subnet mask.
- For default gateway, I added the router IP to the list. Same as my config in the modern computer.
- For DNS, since this is a menu that I can't remember from back in the day, I tried 3 things: without config, with the router IP as the default, and also with Google's DNSs.

TCP/IP seems to be working, if I ping 127.0.0.1 it works fine. But if I ping my router I get no reply, and if I ping "google.com" I get "unknown host".

Will try "arp -a", don't know what it does, and will report.

Reply 15 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
squareoctopus wrote on 2023-06-15, 15:51:
- ipconfig /all, got the mac address of my adapter. - Router: reserverd an unused IP and bound it to the mac address. ... - For […]
Show full quote

- ipconfig /all, got the mac address of my adapter.
- Router: reserverd an unused IP and bound it to the mac address.
- For default gateway, I added the router IP to the list. Same as my config in the modern computer.
- For DNS, since this is a menu that I can't remember from back in the day, I tried 3 things: without config, with the router IP as the default, and also with Google's DNSs.

forget that, lets start by ascertaining if the network card works at all

- Click on TCP/IP (bound to the adapter, checked), and set the ip manually to the one reserverd, same as subnet mask.

details, what ip/mask is your router, what did you configure on the pc

if I ping my router I get no reply

-bad card
-bad cable
-bad configuration

Will try "arp -a", don't know what it does, and will report.

do that after trying to ping your router, will tell us if Layer 2 ethernet is working

Reply 17 of 20, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"NE2000 compatible" definitely should work, but...
- first, you need to configure the card using the chip-specific utility, hopefully the attached stuff will work
- second, make sure the "NE2000 compatible" driver provided with Windows is configured with the same settings, again - Re: Cant connect my Windows 95 machine to my home network

Attachments

• Filename
    um9008f.zip
    File size
    287.04 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 18 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareoctopus wrote on 2023-06-16, 04:07:

Will do, but before: This card has a UM9008F chip. Does anyone have the correct drivers for this card? Or should the "NE2000 compatible" one work?

something else you can try is running a packet sniffer (tcpdump or wireshark) from another machine on your LAN and seeing if you see any broadcast traffic (ARP) coming from the NE2000 card while you try to ping/etc. winipcfg should be able to give you its MAC address so that you know what to look for in the packet log.

Reply 19 of 20, by squareoctopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-06-16, 04:33:

"NE2000 compatible" definitely should work, but...
- first, you need to configure the card using the chip-specific utility, hopefully the attached stuff will work
- second, make sure the "NE2000 compatible" driver provided with Windows is configured with the same settings, again - Re: Cant connect my Windows 95 machine to my home network

Excellent! will try this! Thanks!

jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-16, 04:40:

something else you can try is running a packet sniffer (tcpdump or wireshark) from another machine on your LAN and seeing if you see any broadcast traffic (ARP) coming from the NE2000 card while you try to ping/etc. winipcfg should be able to give you its MAC address so that you know what to look for in the packet log.

Thanks! Will try this after I've discarded driver and hw config.