VOGONS

First post, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

I want to know if everything is ok, or if something is wrong, with my hardware running half-life.

If you have pentium 1 system, can you please share your results here? (write your specs and fps result)

My system specs are: lucky star socket 7 mobo with 512kb L2 cache, pentium 1 cpu, 48mb edo ram 60ns, no sound card, pci vga card (s3 trio64+,matrox G450, same result), fresh windows 98se installed. (no directx/opengl or voodoo please!)

I am running: Half-Life 1.0 installed then patched by Half-life 1 WON 1.1.1.0 (82mb on moddb), graphics mode software 400x300 (fullscreen and maximum screen size), view fps using command net_graph 1 command.

How I benchmark: start game by pressing on Hazard Course, it will start in elevator/lift, don't touch keyboard or mouse (don't move), fps will swing a lot at the beginning so wait 15 seconds to settle, look at fps.

My results:

Pentium 133mhz (66mhz*2) - 6.1 fps
Pentium 200mhz (66mhz*3) - 8.1 fps

This is a relatively high load scene, in the elevator looking at close elevator doors, very first scene.

Please share your results for comparison. (only pentium 1 please! Plain or mmx)

P.S. Quake shareware timedemo demo1 (320*200) result is 40 fps, maximum screen size (HUD is not visible).

The reason I am doing this is because, on various places I have seen people claiming "15-20 fps at 640x480 in half-life", though some of them use voodoo acceleration.

Attachments

• hl1p1z.png
    Filename
    hl1p1z.png
    File size
    678.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by PlaneVuki on 2023-06-17, 11:36. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that sounds about right. You are running software rendered at 400x300 (and maximum screen size I presume) on CPUs that were rather low end when Half-Life came out.
3D acceleration will definitely help, but keep in mind that Half-Life is very CPU intensive for its time. While Goldsrc (the engine that powers Half-Life) is based on Quake's idtech2, it adds many features that can be quite taxing. I've seen the game drop to sub 20fps anytime there's more than one enemy on-screen even with 3D acceleration on much faster CPUs such as K6-III+ 600.

Reply 2 of 16, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I do recall getting some abysmal frame drops even with a Voodoo2 on a basic Pentium. I do have a P1 build, but the hard drive kicked the bucket. I'll try to get some framerates if I can get that replaced.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 3 of 16, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

interesting, it would be good to know if as well as more P1s someone has a P2-233 with similar set up otherwise, just to see how much more they get - and as in between something like P1 233mmx with the slight extra cache might get something ok too, just not sure

Reply 5 of 16, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did the benchmark, but used Fraps 1.8 to get the FPS readings, because HL version of 1.0.0.9 that I have does not support "net_graph" console command.

Got the following results on this hardware config:

P1 MMX 233@292MHz, 512KB L2, 64MB EDO RAM, i430VX chipset, Voodoo 3, no sound, win98se, full screen.

-400x300

13 FPS front, 24 FPS on both sides, 38 FPS back.

-640x480

7 FPS front, 12FPS on both sides, 17 FPS back.

Reply 6 of 16, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes HL is pretty heavy on Pentium 1.

I remember playing as a Kid with Pentium 133 @ 166 with TNT2/M64.

In small rooms I could run at 1024x768 with close to 20fps, but Xen for example would be awful even at 640x480.

I created my own benchmark file and have tested WinChip2

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Half-Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3eo1d9-38

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 7 of 16, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added a photo.

@mwdmeyer, close to 20fps at 1024*768 using software mode or direct3D/openGL?

Is seems unrealistic to me if you were using software mode, can you check that if you still have that hardware?

Reply 8 of 16, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spent most of my time at 24\28 fps with my PII setup and the voodoo 2, half life seems more like a pentium 3 kinda game to me.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 9 of 16, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PlaneVuki wrote on 2023-06-17, 11:39:

Added a photo.

@mwdmeyer, close to 20fps at 1024*768 using software mode or direct3D/openGL?

Is seems unrealistic to me if you were using software mode, can you check that if you still have that hardware?

Yes OpenGL, that was why I purchased the TNT2. Only in very small areas though, otherwise FPS tanks.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 10 of 16, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2023-06-15, 09:28:

Yeah that sounds about right. You are running software rendered at 400x300 (and maximum screen size I presume) on CPUs that were rather low end when Half-Life came out.
3D acceleration will definitely help, but keep in mind that Half-Life is very CPU intensive for its time. While Goldsrc (the engine that powers Half-Life) is based on Quake's idtech2, it adds many features that can be quite taxing. I've seen the game drop to sub 20fps anytime there's more than one enemy on-screen even with 3D acceleration on much faster CPUs such as K6-III+ 600.

Yeah, I confirm.

Recently, I played Half-Life on my Pentium II 400MHz with a Voodoo 2, 640x480, and I had framerate drops on areas with lot of props/details and when things happened on the screen (like explosions, particle effects...).
It was absolutely heavy for the hardware of the time.

Reply 11 of 16, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cannot launched half-life when patched, likely due to it being Win95 so I could not use the net-graph command, so used fraps instead. 512x384 and 320x200, as the 400x300 option was also missing.

Pentium (non-mmx) 200, 430HX chipset, 48BM EDO RAM, Matrox Mystique 2MB.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    Filename
    002.jpg
    File size
    288.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 001.jpg
    Filename
    001.jpg
    File size
    257.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 12 of 16, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran into this when doing my "rebuild my first PC" project. Pentium 133 initially with no 3D acceleration, totally unplayable even with settings turned down. With a Voodoo 2, it was playable, but not pleasant. Unfortunately I didn't get any numbers at the time though there should be some video of it somewhere. An original Pentium just isn't fast enough for a good experience in Half-Life. I forgot how quickly computers aged back then; a top-of-the-line PC in 1995 would struggle with 1998 games, and a 1998 graphics card wasn't enough to fix it. I thought I'd played this game on that machine back in the day, but it must have been a later system, because I never had a 3d accelerator in that one.

Reply 13 of 16, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
XCVG wrote on 2023-06-29, 15:51:

I ran into this when doing my "rebuild my first PC" project. Pentium 133 initially with no 3D acceleration, totally unplayable even with settings turned down. With a Voodoo 2, it was playable, but not pleasant. Unfortunately I didn't get any numbers at the time though there should be some video of it somewhere. An original Pentium just isn't fast enough for a good experience in Half-Life. I forgot how quickly computers aged back then; a top-of-the-line PC in 1995 would struggle with 1998 games, and a 1998 graphics card wasn't enough to fix it. I thought I'd played this game on that machine back in the day, but it must have been a later system, because I never had a 3d accelerator in that one.

I would go as far as to say that for hl even a good pentium 2 and a voodoo2 aren't enough, after testing it with multiple systems, the bare minimum seems to be pentium 3 and voodoo2 sli or voodoo 3.

Last edited by iraito on 2023-06-29, 18:39. Edited 1 time in total.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 14 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iraito wrote on 2023-06-29, 18:32:

the bare minimum seems to be pentium 3 and voodoo2 sli or voodoo 3.

Nah, I completed Half-Life on less. About anything in the 200-266MHz range (that isn't a WinChip) should be able to do it. SLI not neccessary when HL eats the CPU more for skeletal animations than anything else.

Last edited by leileilol on 2023-06-29, 18:41. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 16, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-06-29, 18:38:
iraito wrote on 2023-06-29, 18:32:

the bare minimum seems to be pentium 3 and voodoo2 sli or voodoo 3.

Nah, I completed Half-Life on less. About anything in the 200-266MHz range should be able to do it. SLI not necessary.

Me too but the framerate isn't optimal (20-25fps) on my pentium 2.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png