VOGONS

First post, by TxSnipper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

J'ai cette carte ci-dessous et elle semble avoir un slot 1 et un socket 7, je suppose qu'il s'agit d'une carte mère 486/586 basée uniquement sur le Bios.
J'ai effectué une recherche visuelle sur le site Web de Total Hardware 1999 https://th99.infania.net/ et je n'ai pas pu identifier la carte à partir de ses caractéristiques: 4xPCI, 4x ISA 32bits. 2 IDE, 1 FDD, 2 Serial, 1 LPT, 1 PS/2 et un étrange "connecteur d'alimentation à côté du CPU (pour un ventilateur ?) Le seul marquage sur la carte est " RT-512K " J'aimerais avoir un manuel pour voir si je peux faire revivre cette carte.
Toute aide est appréciée.
Patrick

image haute resolution: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19_waxeJjLzNv … iew?usp=sharing

I have this board below and it seems to have a slot 1 and a socket 7, I am assuming it is a 486/586 Motherboard based on the Bios alone.
I have searched visually on Total Hardware 1999 website https://th99.infania.net/ and could not identify the board from its characteristics
4xPCI, 4x ISA 32bits. 2 IDE, 1 FDD, 2 Serial, 1 LPT, 1 PS/2 and an odd "power connector next to the CPU (for a fan ?)
The only marking on the board is " RT-512K " I would love to have a manual to see if I can revive this board.
​Any help is appreciated.

vxdhA91.jpeg

Main PC: 8700K, 16GB, RTX 2060, 2x500GB SSD, Asus 370 Gaming, 2x37"LG Monitor
Work PC: Quad 9400, 8GB, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GT720
Retro PC: TRS-80 Model 4, 2x 360KB, 1x 720KB, 1x Gotek, FreHD 4x4MB HDD, RS232C-Wifi Modem

Reply 1 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try looking here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/search/

It is a socket 7 mainboard only. that socket you describe as slot 1 is actually for a Cache module. your chipset is an intel 430 fx.

edit: couldn't find it there myself.
if you can boot it and post the bios id code here, the manufacturer could at least be identified. the code is listed at the bottom of the screen during the memory test.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 15, by TxSnipper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

someone thinks it may be from RECTRON. as for booting I am waiting for ram for the board, but what CPU will this support? Intel? Amd?

also, you said: " your chipset is an Intel 430 fx." I would like to understand how/where you saw this.

Retro PC: TRS-80 Model 4, 2x 360KB, 1x 720KB, 1x Gotek, FreHD 4x4MB HDD, RS232C-Wifi Modem

Reply 3 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TxSnipper wrote on 2023-06-15, 12:54:

someone thinks it may be from RECTRON. as for booting I am waiting for ram for the board, but what CPU will this support? Intel? Amd?

also, you said: " your chipset is an Intel 430 fx." I would like to understand how/where you saw this.

its the number on one of the big chips on the board SB82437FX66
I guess your best bet for this is a pentium 1 cpu without mmx, Intel P54C

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

soldermask color, bios sticker and use of ODI chip scream Soyo, but Soyo would slap big sticker in there and they never used Molex connector next to CPU socket.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

google only found one reference for the Rectron RT-512X

I only now noticed the text between the isa slots.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-15, 13:33:

I only now noticed the text between the isa slots.

oh wow 😮 I even looked at the zoomed in version and missed it, probably due to angle

weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-15, 13:33:

google only found one reference for the Rectron RT-512X

https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/com … e_max_vrm_mods/ that tower of power is a cool ghetto mod

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 15, by TxSnipper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah I will have to find a Pentium or AMD K6 to try on it. and see whats what. and score some ram for it 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

an amd k6 can't be used without extra modifications to the mainboard since it requires a lower cpu core voltage.
your best bet for this is a pentium 1 cpu without mmx, Intel P54C

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-16, 05:57:

an amd k6 can't be used without extra modifications to the mainboard since it requires a lower cpu core voltage.

K6 Model 6 CPUs will be fine at 3.3V. Their power draw may become an issue for some mainboards though.

Reply 10 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-06-16, 06:15:

K6 Model 6 CPUs will be fine at 3.3V. Their power draw may become an issue for some mainboards though.

Up until the 233 they seem to not have split voltage, higher than 233, Vcore & Vio are split. So while it runs it will definitely run hotter
correction: some lower speeds ones also have a slighly lower vcore.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 11 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-16, 09:04:

Up until the 233 they seem to not have split voltage, higher than 233, Vcore & Vio are split. So while it runs it will definitely run hotter

AMD K6 Model 6 has a Vcore spec of 2.9V (+/-0.1V) on the 166MHz and 200MHz models and 3.2V (+/- 0.1V or 0.145V) for the 233MHz models. They're all made on 0.35nm process and will run fine at 3.3Vcore. 3.3Vcore is even within spec for the 233MHz models.
Obviously you'll need a decent cooler with a ~30W max TDP chip.😎

The AMD K6 Model 7 (Little Foot) chips are 0.25nm parts that require lower Vcore and will not last long at 3.3V.

Not all 200MHz&233MHz K6 will be happy at 3.3V. Only Model 6 chips can handle that.

I hope this clears things up. 😃👍

Reply 12 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-06-16, 11:22:
AMD K6 Model 6 has a Vcore spec of 2.9V (+/-0.1V) on the 166MHz and 200MHz models and 3.2V (+/- 0.1V or 0.145V) for the 233MHz m […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-16, 09:04:

AMD K6 Model 6 has a Vcore spec of 2.9V (+/-0.1V) on the 166MHz and 200MHz models and 3.2V (+/- 0.1V or 0.145V) for the 233MHz models. They're all made on 0.35nm process and will run fine at 3.3Vcore. 3.3Vcore is even within spec for the 233MHz models.
Obviously you'll need a decent cooler with a ~30W max TDP chip.😎

The AMD K6 Model 7 (Little Foot) chips are 0.25nm parts that require lower Vcore and will not last long at 3.3V.

Not all 200MHz&233MHz K6 will be happy at 3.3V. Only Model 6 chips can handle that.

I hope this clears things up. 😃👍

It's not a problem nor confusion for me, but that many possibilities to check is exactly why I suggested to go for a simple pentium 1 without mmx.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed.

Just to be complete, seeing as OP seems unfamiliar with this period of computing:

The minium you need to test/use this board:

- a Socket 7 CPU for single voltage 3.2V-3.5V. Pentium non-MMX is the safest and easiest option. Various AMD, Cyrix and IDT CPUs will probably also work, but if you're new to this game, keep it simple for now.
- a heatsink for on top of the CPU. A fan is only necessary if the heatsink is very small. Socket 5, 7, 370 and A essentially all share same heatsink clips, so you can use whichever is easiest.
- two identical 72p SIMM memory modules. The board supports both older FP and newer EDO types. If your CPU runs at 66MHz bus speed, you need at least 60ns memory, otherwise 70ns is fine (lower is better). For best compatibility, choose 60ns SIMMs. They need to be installed in pairs of two.
- an AT power supply to connect to the P8 and P9 connectors between keyboard port and SIMM slots. Be sure to put the black wires together in the middle. If you don't have a (working) AT PSU you can use an ATX PSU with an adapter cable. This may give weird problems with sound cards because of missing -5V voltages, but for testing it's fine. If you want to use an ATX power supply permanently, get an adapter cable with -5V voltage regulator to give all required voltages.
- an AT keyboard. Note that AT is electrically identical to PS/2, so you can use a passive PS/2 to AT adapter. USB is quite different, but there are active USB->PS/2 adapters that let you use USB keyboards. Note that XT keyboards also exist with same connector as AT, but different protocol. These will not work. Easiest is just to get an AT keyboard.
- a video card. A PCI VGA card is simplest, cheapest and will give best performance. Ideally go for one from same period as motherboard (1996-ish, so S3 Trio or S3 Virge is easiest). Be aware that very new PCI VGA cards (from after 2002) may require 3.3V on PCI bus, which these old boards don't supply.

Check the manual for jumper settings, install hardware, connect monitor, keyboard and power, and then power up 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2023-06-16, 12:04:

Check the manual for jumper settings, install hardware, connect monitor, keyboard and power, and then power up 😀

I agree with all the rest but have to comment on that last statement of yours.
Check the manual for jumper settings will be fricking hard since it seems the manual or any other documentation is nowhere to be found. 😉

Do not ask Why !

Reply 15 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-16, 12:09:
dionb wrote on 2023-06-16, 12:04:

I agree with all the rest but have to comment on that last statement of yours.
Check the manual for jumper settings will be fricking hard since it seems the manual or any other documentation is nowhere to be found. 😉

Not so sure - take a look here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/km … 88832981330.pdf

This is for the Kaimei KM-T5-2, which is supposedly a synonym of Rectron RT-5xx

The pic in OP isn't perfect, but I think I can make out JP12 by the blue jumpers above the tag RAM to the right of the CPU socket. Above that, the two solid yellow caps are next to the clock crystal, so whether or not they are JP13/14 as in this manual, they almost certainly do the bus speed. If you want to be certain, read the name of the PLL/clock gen chip and look up its datasheet, but three of the four options are going to be 50, 60 and 66MHz. The fourth will almost certainly be 55MHz. Most likely the diagrams will be correct even if the name isn't.

As it's a single-voltage board, the other jumper to the left of CPU socket next to the Molex connector will most likely be for VS/VRE (3.2V vs 3.45V). As VRE is within tolerance of VS parts, you can safely guess this and correct afterwards if it turns out to be the other way round.

There are two jumpers above the DS12885 RTC/CMOS. One will be for clear CMOS, the other probably toggles BIOS writeable yes/no.

Only jumper I'm less sure about is JP6 next to the PLB cache chips on the lower left. It might be to select between onboard and COAST cache.