VOGONS

First post, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all 😀

there is a question that always been inside me, but never properly asked for: I have some, lot of games for DOS that requires a CD for play (Monkey Island, Full Throttle, The Dig, Timegate, FIFA 96 ecc.) but unfortunately I only have ISO images for these games. Now, I know on DOSBox you can easily do the trick with the ISOMOUNT command (which works very well), but how about in real DOS environment?

My question is: there is any "daemon tools" like program, which emulate a CD-Rom or something which can actually mount and load a image for a CD that makes these games work under real dos?

Big thanks for any help.

Reply 2 of 13, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-06-16, 01:08:

Hi, thanks for answer! mmh i look at that program.. but I actually don't get much ^^" i tried SHSUCDHD.EXE but looks like don't work, or i am surely missing lot of things here.. there is any easy guide for n00bs like me? 😁 there should be some line, like SHSUCDHD.EXE -C:\Game.iso or sort of, but it still says first is not installed or can't find the image. It says it needs shsucdx.com to be installed, which i made it run but still don't works 🙁 I thought there was something more easier, and looking back this program is from 2006 and there ain't others 😳

how i wish there could be a IMGMOUNT like DOSBox also for Real Dos... that command is just perfect

Reply 3 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you need to use shsucdx like mscdex and give it device name like mscd001 (specified in driver command) and drive letter.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a bit to get your head around at first! But it really is the go-to utility for this. One you've done these opening steps, it will be easy for each subsequent image you want to mount.

Assumptions:

• You are currently using the MSCDEX driver for your physical drive
  • You have put the SHSUCD files in C:\SHSUCD
  • Your ISO is at C:\GAMES\GAME.ISO

First thing to know is that you need to permanently replace MSCDEX with SHSUCDX. This will still let you use your real optical drive, but will open up all the other abilities too. In your autoexec, REM out the MSCDEX line and add a new one:

REM lh c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:optical
lh c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /d:optical

At this point your system will be working as normal with the real optical drive.

In order to mount an ISO, you need to first unload this driver. (One of the key features of SHSUCD is being able to load/unload the driver at the command line, allowing you to switch between real and virtual drives as needed).

The following batch file carries out the following (and I have added comments in it at each step):

• Unloads the "real" CD driver
  • Assigns your ISO to a virtual drive
  • Reloads the driver pointing to the new virtual drive
  • Runs the game
  • Unloads the virtual driver on game exit
  • Reloads the real driver
REM Unload the current instance of SHSUCD
c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /u
REM Assign your ISO to a virtual drive (next available letter will be used)
c:\shsucd\shsucdhd /f:c:\games\game.iso
REM Reload SHSUCD pointing to your virtual mount
c:\shsucd\shsucdx /d:shsu-cdh
REM Run your game
path\to\game.exe
REM Unload SHSUCD on game exit
c:\shsucd\shsucdx /u
REM Reload SHSUCD pointing to your real drive
c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /d:optical

A bit of effort the first time around, but once this is done you only have to copy & edit the batch file for each ISO.

(I've pulled this out of an older post of mine, so hopefully I've got it all right.)

Reply 5 of 13, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-06-16, 13:23:
It's a bit to get your head around at first! But it really is the go-to utility for this. One you've done these opening steps, i […]
Show full quote

It's a bit to get your head around at first! But it really is the go-to utility for this. One you've done these opening steps, it will be easy for each subsequent image you want to mount.

Assumptions:

• You are currently using the MSCDEX driver for your physical drive
  • You have put the SHSUCD files in C:\SHSUCD
  • Your ISO is at C:\GAMES\GAME.ISO

First thing to know is that you need to permanently replace MSCDEX with SHSUCDX. This will still let you use your real optical drive, but will open up all the other abilities too. In your autoexec, REM out the MSCDEX line and add a new one:

REM lh c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:optical
lh c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /d:optical

At this point your system will be working as normal with the real optical drive.

In order to mount an ISO, you need to first unload this driver. (One of the key features of SHSUCD is being able to load/unload the driver at the command line, allowing you to switch between real and virtual drives as needed).

The following batch file carries out the following (and I have added comments in it at each step):

• Unloads the "real" CD driver
  • Assigns your ISO to a virtual drive
  • Reloads the driver pointing to the new virtual drive
  • Runs the game
  • Unloads the virtual driver on game exit
  • Reloads the real driver
REM Unload the current instance of SHSUCD
c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /u
REM Assign your ISO to a virtual drive (next available letter will be used)
c:\shsucd\shsucdhd /f:c:\games\game.iso
REM Reload SHSUCD pointing to your virtual mount
c:\shsucd\shsucdx /d:shsu-cdh
REM Run your game
path\to\game.exe
REM Unload SHSUCD on game exit
c:\shsucd\shsucdx /u
REM Reload SHSUCD pointing to your real drive
c:\shsucd\shsucdx.com /d:optical

A bit of effort the first time around, but once this is done you only have to copy & edit the batch file for each ISO.

(I've pulled this out of an older post of mine, so hopefully I've got it all right.)

I love you so much, you're the MAN! Thanks really for your help! 😀 it just works, is a little bit tricky because at first i've tried with a "home made" method, which was create a .BAT file inside the game folder (Full Throttle) along the .iso file and the two programs, all pointing to the directory and mounting as E: drive (using actually this guide I just found before despite is not 100% clear and he don't include the file he used for the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqVLqNTshl8) but and guess what... IT WORKS!

I never thought it was possible, and also so difficult but i am so happy I can use my .ISO images for the games requires CD. I have a CD-Drive on that PC, but MSCDEX requires too much conventional memory and if i activate it some games won't run because i run almost under 500kb, and also I don't have any virgin cd's (we call them like this here 😜) so thank you very much for this guide, i'll save it and put as image\screenshot so I can always follow it whenever i forgot how to do it.. Thank you!!

Reply 6 of 13, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having less then 500kb base memory should be easy to sort, even with mscdex loaded I managed to get 627k of base memory with keyboard/mouse/cd/soudblaster drivers all loaded, you should manage to get high 500k's of base memory available for dos software.

Whats you config.sys/autoexec.bat look like?

Reply 7 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's awesome VenomSpark, glad I didn't screw up the instructions 😁 As sneeker says, you should post up your config files. Sounds like you could use some memory optimisation.

Reply 8 of 13, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

question: mounting iso works well. But unfortunately only from a hdd. The tool won’t allow you to mount iso from a network share. (Smb).

Do you know about any solution to mount ISOs from a network share? It really takes time to copy full ISOs each time to a hdd first (on isa)

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I

Reply 9 of 13, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marco wrote on 2024-03-05, 22:06:

Hi all,

question: mounting iso works well. But unfortunately only from a hdd. The tool won’t allow you to mount iso from a network share. (Smb).

Do you know about any solution to mount ISOs from a network share? It really takes time to copy full ISOs each time to a hdd first (on isa)

You can mount your ISO share in DOS with this https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_NetDrive.html

Reply 10 of 13, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow fantastic. Thanks so much

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320

Reply 13 of 13, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rav wrote on 2024-03-06, 13:30:

I mount my iso from my 128GB etherdfs share, no issue here.

I would also do etherDFS but i can’t find an arm built for running on openwrt/router hardware.