VOGONS

First post, by CadMasterAdam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all!

salvaged an old Deskpro 66/m from the scrap yard last year. turned out the only issue was a dead Dallas 1397 chip. i did a coin cell batter bodge on pins 26 & 14 and it immediately poped back to life! WOOHOO

Turns out its a 486 DX 66 CPU with 32mb of Ram.

Whoever had it before me put on a clean version of Windows 98 back in 2001. however i don't think mthat windows 98 would be the right fit for this machine as it was released in 1992....

Should I install Win 3.11 or win95?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool Compaq Deskpro/M series. There is a ways that appeals to us. 😀

Must absolutely clean out the power supply. The cover comes off with few screws and blow out or brush out and vacuum out dust.

If power supply dies, there is no spares left, must be repaired. Absolutely do not throw out those dead Deskpro/M power supply boards! Because there is people wanted them and repair them. Literally. Few years ago, went on a long search and ended up finding nothing. Ended up buying second Deskpro/M all the way from Rome, Italy to Canada, with one so I have two computers now.

There is power supply pinout somewhere on this vogons if you go with ATX PSU route and I was the author of this. Have to rearrange the pins because compaq's is different, and leave out 3.3V wires (cut off). The 20 pin ATX connector fits and does latch on. I tested this way and this works. I used a 6 inch ATX extension instead and changed the pinout.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 7, by CadMasterAdam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-21, 19:41:

I'd dual boot DOS+Win31 and Win95 on a CF card, or do just DOS+Win31 on a period correct HDD

Thanks! will do 31 as its probably what came originally. it came with original 545MB HDD so i'm just gonna make it go back to stock. i have an intel OD 100Mhz,I might see if i can get it to work.

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 7, by CadMasterAdam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-06-21, 19:45:
Very cool Compaq Deskpro/M series. There is a ways that appeals to us. :) […]
Show full quote

Very cool Compaq Deskpro/M series. There is a ways that appeals to us. 😀

Must absolutely clean out the power supply. The cover comes off with few screws and blow out or brush out and vacuum out dust.

If power supply dies, there is no spares left, must be repaired. Absolutely do not throw out those dead Deskpro/M power supply boards! Because there is people wanted them and repair them. Literally. Few years ago, went on a long search and ended up finding nothing. Ended up buying second Deskpro/M all the way from Rome, Italy to Canada, with one so I have two computers now.

There is power supply pinout somewhere on this vogons if you go with ATX PSU route and I was the author of this. Have to rearrange the pins because compaq's is different, and leave out 3.3V wires (cut off). The 20 pin ATX connector fits and does latch on. I tested this way and this works. I used a 6 inch ATX extension instead and changed the pinout.

Cheers,

good to know. yeah when i got it i opened up the PSU gave it a smell test, visually checked the caps and gave it a brushout. but i think i should do a better job.

now that i have a working system i will completely disassemble the unit give everything a bath. retrobrite the plastics and make it look as good as possible.

i'll post picks on the show and tell page

Reply 7 of 7, by seaken64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Gateway 486DX2-66 and I run DOS 5.0, WfW 3.11, Win 95 , and OS/2 1.3EE, using System Commander to multi-boot.

On my AST 486/33 I run DOS 5.0 and Win 3.11, and Concurrent DOS 386.

On my MicroLab 486DX4-100 VLB I run DOS 5.0, Windows 95 and OS/2 2.11, also using System Commander.

Unfortunately I do not have a Compaq Deskpro of that vintage. My Deskpros are P-II and P-III.

Seaken