VOGONS

First post, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!
First of all, a brief introduction...
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
Eehm no, that's another story; P

As we said, in the past I worked for many years in computer science, and being a great fan of PCs and video games since I was a child I have accumulated several PCs and spare parts.
A couple of years ago I decided to put some order and doing research I accidentally discovered this wonderful forum and also Phil's videos!!!

All this made me want to rebuild the computers I owned!!! Obviously not all but certainly the most iconic ones!! Among which the PC1 by Olivetti, the Pentium 1 133, the legendary celeron 300A, the various K6-2, the Duron 650 @ 950 etc.
The P133 was one of those I cared about most because with it I discovered overclocking (@187Mhz) and especially 3D graphics thanks to the legendary Voodoo 1
Unfortunately of my P133 I had almost nothing, only the P133, the 3dfx Voodoo 1, the ram and a generic yamaha ymf-719 sound card.

One afternoon while throwing scrap in landfill I saw a small AT case in a corner of the e-waste area. I immediately decided to take it home!!!
To my amazement it turned out to be a pentium 1 166 (not MMX) with 96mb of ram, vga CL-5446 2MB a sound card isa clone crystal and a 4gb disk. The mainboard is an Abit PH5.

So I said to myself "this is definitely a sign of destiny! Bring your mythical P1 133 back to life!!"
I changed the configuration to look like this:
P1 166 (NOT MMX)
Mainboard ABIT PH5
64MB EDO RAM (2 x 32MB)
SEAGATE HDD 20GB
DVD-RW PHILIPS DVDR 1640 (for convenience, I had a 2X NEC CD-R)
VGA S3 DX/GX 4MB (best resolution options in windows)
3DFX VOODOO 4MB (ORCHID)
YAMAHA YMF-719E
Windows 98 SE (my original)

I present my pc "time Machine" (IMG_1 & IMG_2 )

But you may wonder "why TIME MACHINE?"
Well while I fiddled with the jumpers of the multiplier and frequency of this ABIT PH5 I
I realized that some positions were not documented and I decided to experiment!
To my surprise I discovered that the mainboard frequency can drop to 25MHz !!!
I found the following frequencies : 25, 40, 50, 60, 66, 80MHz. Chipping on the cake the turbo button attaches correctly and allows further reduction of performance!
These FSB values combined with the fact that the P166 supports the multiplier of 1.5X allow me to have a pc with cpu that starts from Pentium 1 to 37.5MHZ ! ! !
You can understand that I immediately thought that I could go down to 286 levels by playing with FSB, L1 and L2 caches, turbo slowdown and bios!!!

In fact, after several tests and changes also of the bios settings I managed to get to 1.41 in speedsys 4.78 and 1.8 in the sysinfo of PC-Tools 8.0 !!!
Keep in mind that my Olivetti Prodest PC1 based on NEC V40 with 512K of ram arrives in the PC-Tools at a score of 1.7!!!!
I then checked the stability of the P166 at 200MHz and it is perfect, it even remains functional for a while even at 240MHz (80x3) but I still have them to work even if I think the FSB may be too high.
So allowing me to range in the various "eras" from Turbo-XT to 286, 386, 486 and P1 up to 200MHz
I found the nickname "TIME MACHINE" appropriate.

I then proceeded to create a simple system of switches to modify the FSB and the multiplier without opening the cabinet (obviously with the PC off) of the computer.
I attach some photographs of the switches and tests at various speeds.

I hope I have not bored you with this post and indeed if you have curiosity or suggestions or criticisms do not have problems talking about it!
sorry for the grammar mistakes in my English
Hello
Stefano

Attachments

Reply 1 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More photos of speed tests and comparison with the Olivetti PC1

I will post (I hope soon) an article about my superpumped PC1 !!!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more photos

Attachments

Reply 3 of 17, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legno74 wrote on 2023-06-23, 15:19:

One afternoon while throwing scrap in landfill I saw a small AT case in a corner of the e-waste area. I immediately decided to take it home!!!
To my amazement it turned out to be a pentium 1 166 (not MMX) with 96mb of ram, vga CL-5446 2MB a sound card isa clone crystal and a 4gb disk. The mainboard is an Abit PH5.

what a great rescue and interesting post to read - to have all those options and all from a PC in e-waste!

Reply 6 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

definitely Mechwarrior 2, Tomb Raider, Screamer 1 and 2, mdk, POD GOLD, Moto Racer ecc
I actually also use it to play many games from the 386/486 era because of its extreme versatility. I really have many games that I like from that period. From the various wing commander to the Lucas adventures passing through Alone in the Dark, various platform, shock systems etc.

Reply 9 of 17, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Omg, moving jumpers to switches externally, that is so brilliantly simple, that it's crazy that it's not something everyone does or did back in the day before BIOS setting of speed ... definitely on my to-do list, the day I find time to tinker with some of my retro stuff 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 10 of 17, by b0by007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very interesting project. I tried some time ago this aproach, to make a "PC to rule them all"(dos games) but got some audio problems. It was a pci sound card, a CMI media, I dont remember well.
After that I stuck to 486 with turbo button for "old" dos games and Pentium MMX for "later" dos games.
I have a question:
When you "criple" the bus speeds for lowest settings 286/386, do you have problems with the sound in games?

HP Vectra D2753A 486/25N i486 SX 25mhz
UNISYS SG3500 AMD486 DX2 66mhz
OLIVETTI M4 i486 SX2 50mhz
IBM PC 330 6577-79T, Pentium 166mhz
IBM PC 300GL 6561-350, Pentium II MMX 266mhz
My retro youtube channel!

Reply 11 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have jumpers relocated outside on several of my builds. search for 'dupont' connector and you can get premade wires of various lengths with male and/or female ends. i actually just use the female connectors then take a jumper block and remove the molded plastic bases to get the header pins for the outside.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
201 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 17, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brilliant, simply brilliant! 😄
It is an exceptional build and built with parts that give a very good DOS (and I would say Win3.x) compatibility and a more than good Win98 compatibility 😄

Reply 13 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-06-25, 21:51:

Omg, moving jumpers to switches externally, that is so brilliantly simple, that it's crazy that it's not something everyone does or did back in the day before BIOS setting of speed ... definitely on my to-do list, the day I find time to tinker with some of my retro stuff 🤣

Hello! I am happy to have inspired "new" ideas. even if simple simple

Reply 14 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
b0by007 wrote on 2023-06-26, 05:37:
Very interesting project. I tried some time ago this aproach, to make a "PC to rule them all"(dos games) but got some audio prob […]
Show full quote

Very interesting project. I tried some time ago this aproach, to make a "PC to rule them all"(dos games) but got some audio problems. It was a pci sound card, a CMI media, I dont remember well.
After that I stuck to 486 with turbo button for "old" dos games and Pentium MMX for "later" dos games.
I have a question:
When you "criple" the bus speeds for lowest settings 286/386, do you have problems with the sound in games?

Hello! Apparently I found no problems. Keep in mind that I use an isa sound card.
I will do some more thorough tests because at the moment I tried Lode Runner, Prince of Persia, Monkey1 and Wing commander.

If you tell me that you played gave you problems I try them (I should have them, I'm a long-time 😂 gamer)

Reply 15 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
igna78 wrote on 2023-06-26, 08:05:

Brilliant, simply brilliant! 😄
It is an exceptional build and built with parts that give a very good DOS (and I would say Win3.x) compatibility and a more than good Win98 compatibility 😄

Thank you! 😉

Reply 16 of 17, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A friend of mine put the switches to the front into a drive bay-cover in his Pentium 2 retro PC to select the CPU multiplier. (German but you'll find it in the pictures)

Reply 17 of 17, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-06-26, 14:46:

A friend of mine put the switches to the front into a drive bay-cover in his Pentium 2 retro PC to select the CPU multiplier. (German but you'll find it in the pictures)

Very nice!

I had also thought of a frontal solution. But I already had these switches and I preferred to put them on the back because they are ugly 🤣🤣